Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We're consulting members at the moment. I personally favour keeping the booking system but I'm probably 60/40 on this. It seems that eventually there will be a vote

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I have found with the booking system ( we didn’t have one pre COVID.) is the tee sheet can be booked solid all day , but I have just gone up to have a chip and putt and the course has been empty.
Nothing has been done about no shows who are just booking tees every day just in case they fancy playing.
If we have a booking system in the future this will have to be policed much better IMO.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like a few committees are falling into the trap of trying to please everyone.

Which generally results in annoying everyone.
Why we went for a simple 'Keep/Don't Keep' vote. Many hybrid options were suggested but rather than plump for one of them as a 3rd option - committee decided to offer a straight and simple choice - and 73/27 for keeping suggested that the simple choice was the best way to get a decisive choice.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well our Club Captain is using the newsletter to voice his very strong opinions on this...his tone is very combative but I think he's completely misjudged the feeling of the club. I hope we get to vote but fear he will resist this option to get what he wants...

D

Deleted member 15344

Well we went to a vote about keeping the tee bookings -

Over 3/4 voted

82% voted to keep the tee times

And then 65% voted to have them all the time instead of a hybrid

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Neighbouring club to us had a vote and it was split 50-50 so have gone for no booking until 12.00 midday then booking system in place . We were due to play 27 holes there last week but had it reduced to 18 as couldn't book the morning 9 holes .

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Well we went to a vote about keeping the tee bookings -

Over 3/4 voted

82% voted to keep the tee times

And then 65% voted to have them all the time instead of a hybrid

Was a little surprised by the vote to be honest, thought we'd result in a hybrid option at least. Have already adapted to the booking system during covid, it works well I think, never really have an issue booking a slot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
EGM scheduled for 9th September
Management is dead against introducing full time booking and have advised a vote against.
It seems there needs to be a 75% vote in favour to pass the EGM...so not a cat in Hell's chance of it happening
Too many, shall we say more experienced, members obviously like queuing.....
If, or should I say when, the resolution fails, it loo,s like the Board want to introduce a hybrid system that will mean booking on Wednesday, Fridays, competition days as well as the existing Sunday mornings and Ladies on Tuesdays.....not really much of a step further and you're into a full time booking,ing system...:unsure:
That's the annoyingly illogical part of this....they're against a booking system but they're going to introduce a booking system..
I'm confused

D

Deleted member 3432

Looks to me like some clubs don't want to retain all the members they have attracted during covid and are happy to go back to a less than full membership.

As long as the vocal minority can get back to their 10.00am slot stuff the rest... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I see a crisis coming when these 'long standing' members stop playing in the next few years

Mandofred

Visit site
Looks to me like some clubs don't want to retain all the members they have attracted during covid and are happy to go back to a less than full membership.

As long as the vocal minority can get back to their 10.00am slot stuff the rest... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I see a crisis coming when these 'long standing' members stop playing in the next few years
and....then in some years after that there will be some other "long standing" members who will resist change about something else. Repeat every 10 years.

Having a combination to make both views work seems to be the best to me. But......people on either side of this just want their way....you know, because they are obviously right:unsure:

D

Deleted member 3432

and....then in some years after that there will be some other "long standing" members who will resist change about something else. Repeat every 10 years.

Having a combination to make both views work seems to be the best to me. But......people on either side of this just want their way....you know, because they are obviously right:unsure:

A fudge seems the worst option possible, one or the other surely?

Couldn't care less what other clubs do, I just think they could alienate new golfers. Us 'long standing' members are not the future of the game.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of times in clubs those loud views don’t always mean they are a majority representative views

We had some very loud views about removing tee bookings because it ruined swindles roll Ups etc so the whole club was asked

From the results it seems those loud view were very much in the minority by a considerable margin

Mandofred

Visit site
A fudge seems the worst option possible, one or the other surely?

Couldn't care less what other clubs do, I just think they could alienate new golfers. Us 'long standing' members are not the future of the game.
Why can't you do what one of my clubs does? ......I play in a roll up on Wed and Sun mornings. They have about 1 hour of times blocked off (8-9 Sunday, 9-10 Wed) for the roll up group. Booking times for anybody to use outside of those periods. Regular group of roll up folks.......and the vast majority of the times are for regular booking people (which I also do).

Why does it have to be one way or another? I don't know anybody at either of the clubs I am a member who want to go back to the old fashioned roll up whenever you feel like it. The booking system is here to stay. Clubs that don't embrace it at least a little bit will eventually.

I still think there are people out there who think that roll ups are those old fashioned methods where people just randomly show up.....toss the ball in the queue... and hope you get to play at some point. I guess there might be some place out there that might still do that, but nowhere that I've been. This is not what most roll ups do. If that is what you think still happens (maybe at a few places still...) you are wrong.

Worried about alienating new golfers? I guess some might be, but there are a fair few new golfers at both clubs I play at and lot of them start out in the roll ups....and if they prefer to then branch of with other people they meet....it works great. Being a person who joined his first club 6 years ago, and then another this last April (that one didn't re-start roll ups until June).....Roll ups are the easier way to work your way into the club. Most roll ups are people over 50, so yep....I can definitely understand why a 25 year old wouldn't want to spend a lot of their golf time with a group of guys that average 60-70 etc.

Compromise. Both extreme sides need to consider the views of others.....which if they can't....makes for a pretty uncaring person.

Mandofred

Visit site
A lot of times in clubs those loud views don’t always mean they are a majority representative views

We had some very loud views about removing tee bookings because it ruined swindles roll Ups etc so the whole club was asked

From the results it seems those loud view were very much in the minority by a considerable margin
Swindles/roll ups etc can co-exist in the booking system. It's easy. The question is whether golfers can accept someone else's views....often times, they can't.

D

Deleted member 15344

Swindles/roll ups etc can co-exist in the booking system. It's easy. The question is whether golfers can accept someone else's views....often times, they can't.

Our swindles work within the booking system

There are no reserved tee times for any roll ups to occur nor any periods where people can just rock up to the tee

All the swindle organisers have their numbers published so people can join in or people make up their own
Each tee time is available for everyone

Mandofred

Visit site
Our swindles work within the booking system

There are no reserved tee times for any roll ups to occur nor any periods where people can just rock up to the tee

All the swindle organisers have their numbers published so people can join in or people make up their own
Each tee time is available for everyone
Then your group may or may not being playing near the other people. What you are doing is what our Saturday group has been doing for a month or so....it "kind of" works. The mgr talked to a bunch of the other people in the club who play around that time and asked them not to book at that time....because of that, the group mostly plays back to back. Without that talk.....there would be occasional issues. I still stand with my view that if you have to plan/book times ahead of time....it's not a roll up. There was a roll up this morning on my 2nd club.....last minute I didn't go. That's what a roll up is.....go if you want, don't go if you don't want to. No planning required.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those with a hybrid system - what happens when the roll ups roll over time and a tee booking slot turns up to a tee still yet to clear from the rollup?

Mandofred

Visit site
Those with a hybrid system - what happens when the roll ups roll over time and a tee booking slot turns up to a tee still yet to clear from the rollup?
It hasn't happened in the 6 years I've been with my main club. It has come close a couple of times on those really nice summer days.

D

Deleted member 3432

What happens when people don't fill the roll up slots and tee times are wasted because members can't book em?