Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Then your group may or may not being playing near the other people. What you are doing is what our Saturday group has been doing for a month or so....it "kind of" works. The mgr talked to a bunch of the other people in the club who play around that time and asked them not to book at that time....because of that, the group mostly plays back to back. Without that talk.....there would be occasional issues. I still stand with my view that if you have to plan/book times ahead of time....it's not a roll up. There was a roll up this morning on my 2nd club.....last minute I didn't go. That's what a roll up is.....go if you want, don't go if you don't want to. No planning required.

So if you didn’t go and many others also the same what happens to that tee spot that’s reserved during a prime time in a golf club ? Wasted ?

Mandofred

Visit site
So if you didn’t go and many others also the same what happens to that tee spot that’s reserved during a prime time in a golf club ? Wasted ?
Well, I guess if you want to look at the most negative possibility......some people view things in the worst possible way.

I look at it like this......if there is one less group of people, that opens up the course a little bit and there are less delays for people playing. You just can't make everybody happy, it isn't possible. It wasn't that long ago that people were wanting to keep the longer delays between groups after lockdown since it created less wait times while playing. The more spaced out start times caused less booking times.......

As I've stated numerous times.......compromise. It doesn't look like you are interested in compromise.

Mandofred

Visit site
And......if "a bunch" of people didn't show up on the day......it would be because the weather was absolute crap. That would mean there are a lot less people on the course in general. There really must be some people on this site who were horribly tortured by roll ups years ago. Things have changed.........for the better.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club have simply decided, for the time being, to have bookings on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and no bookings on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday which are the roll up days.

From people I have spoken to it is pretty much just the core roll-up groups that don’t want a booking system. As I play mostly at weekends I am back to turning up and hoping there are not a lot of people waiting on the first tee.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club has just got rid of tee time booking and it's been a nightmare. We're turning up to play and confronted with 6 x four balls waiting to go.

Mandofred

Visit site
Our club have simply decided, for the time being, to have bookings on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and no bookings on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday which are the roll up days.

From people I have spoken to it is pretty much just the core roll-up groups that don’t want a booking system. As I play mostly at weekends I am back to turning up and hoping there are not a lot of people waiting on the first tee.
This is what I don't understand. Obviously I like roll ups, but I wouldn't want them outside of the booking system. People have the option of joining in the roll up (which would be blocked off) or playing at any other time the rest of the day. My Wednesday group has the tee from 9-10. There are several hours before that you can book your tee times (there are always times), play in the roll up, or all the rest of the booking times the rest of the day after 10am.....and there are plenty of open times every day.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm hoping we can make some change to either revert to bookings or a hybrid system. I really cannot be bothered with the stress of turning up and seeing how many are getting ready to go out then heading for the putting green wondering how many are going out and then heading for the first tee wondering how many will be queueing to go out.

Personally - it's enough to make me not bother. Maybe because I've experienced how much easier it is to know exactly when you're playing but basically a return to the old ways isn't working for me.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm hoping we can make some change to either revert to bookings or a hybrid system. I really cannot be bothered with the stress of turning up and seeing how many are getting ready to go out then heading for the putting green wondering how many are going out and then heading for the first tee wondering how many will be queueing to go out.

Personally - it's enough to make me not bother. Maybe because I've experienced how much easier it is to know exactly when you're playing but basically a return to the old ways isn't working for me.
Absolutely agree. If the clubs I play at did this I'd stop playing golf completely. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. There are other things I can do......

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Initially I didn't like having to book mid week, but now I do.
It's so easy just to check and see what times are available and especially who's playing .
Midweek sweeps /rollups can apply for block booking times months in advance.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We are in the process of an all member questionnaire.
A. No booking system. B. Hybrid booking system. C. Full booking system
on
1. Saturdays
2. Sundays
3. Weekdays.

I went FULL for 1, 2 and 3. Not based solely on my personal wishes, but with consideration to others with more work and family commitments than I have.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well, I guess if you want to look at the most negative possibility......some people view things in the worst possible way.

I look at it like this......if there is one less group of people, that opens up the course a little bit and there are less delays for people playing. You just can't make everybody happy, it isn't possible. It wasn't that long ago that people were wanting to keep the longer delays between groups after lockdown since it created less wait times while playing. The more spaced out start times caused less booking times.......

As I've stated numerous times.......compromise. It doesn't look like you are interested in compromise.

So if people don’t turn up you then have the tee empty and unused when if it was tee bookings all the time every single member of the golf can see what is free and what is being used.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The question is how do you run roll ups & swindles within a booking system. Balancing roll up numbers to ensure no empty tee times

To my mind it’s quite simple
Nobody wants to go out immediately behind a roll up.
The roll up organiser will have an idea how many bodies to expect, so if you have 40 bodies, that’s 10 tee slots 8 minutes between groups is 8 1/2 per hour
Block book 1 1/2 hours to include any extras.

Numbers need to be monitored so if for 3 weeks running they only get 25 instead of 40, then the time slot gets reduced, opening up the tee for other members.

Likewise if they get 50, then the blocked time is increased.

After 6 weeks or so it will have settled into a rhythm and everyone is happy

Hopefully

We have an extraordinary general meeting shortly to discuss introducing a full booking system, I’m very much in favour as my time is valuable and I don’t want to turn up and find a queue.

But I have a feeling the old guard will carry the day, because that is the way it’s always been done.

D

Deleted member 15344

The question is how do you run roll ups & swindles within a booking system. Balancing roll up numbers to ensure no empty tee times

To my mind it’s quite simple
Nobody wants to go out immediately behind a roll up.
The roll up organiser will have an idea how many bodies to expect, so if you have 40 bodies, that’s 10 tee slots 8 minutes between groups is 8 1/2 per hour
Block book 1 1/2 hours to include any extras.

Numbers need to be monitored so if for 3 weeks running they only get 25 instead of 40, then the time slot gets reduced, opening up the tee for other members.

Likewise if they get 50, then the blocked time is increased.

After 6 weeks or so it will have settled into a rhythm and everyone is happy

Hopefully

The problem with roll ups within tee bookings is the unknown in regards numbers and the potential for empty spots on the day or too many

So our roll up are now all swindles pre organised

Swindle organiser does a draw from the people who said they will play - they then book their tee time when the tee is open , that way the only tee that is booked are the ones who are playing

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We were asked for an opinion on a regular booking system, apparently 30 emails were received and a majority said they were against it. The committee decided to continue with it until a full email vote could be gathered as they (rightly in my view) took the view that the 30 emails didn't express the views of the majority.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Everyone knows the roll up is between 10 and 11.

If you want to play in the roll up you book a time between 930 and 1130.

If a your lucky enough and a number of groups worth are around, throw up the balls to mix up the groups (after a few weeks you will be as people not interested will book other times or join).

Anyone who has a time booked and wants to play writes there name on a sheet in the bar/pro shop/locker room. First group back retrieve the list and start collecting cards....

Everyone meets in the clubhouse as always. Total non issue.

The club can even stick out an email encouraging players that whatever times are generally used for sweeps etc, if they're supportive.

Mandofred

Visit site
So if people don’t turn up you then have the tee empty and unused when if it was tee bookings all the time every single member of the golf can see what is free and what is being used.
It's possible, but in reality isn't an issue. The roll ups are a fairly constant number of people unless the weather is crap. In that case, there are a lot of people who have booked who just don't show up......that's also an issue. You just don't give up on looking at the most negative view possible. How about looking at the good things that can happen? I don't think that's your strong point.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
You just don't give up on looking at the most negative view possible. How about looking at the good things that can happen? I don't think that's your strong point.

In all fairness to Phil, I too can't see anything good about a group that believe they are entitled to a prime tee time, because they can't be bothered to book like everyone else.