Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Vote of all members with two options: keep as is, or revert to as was.

Vote opens 19th July and closes evening of 25th July, result of vote announced 26th July and option chosen on basis of simple majority will be implemented on 2nd August. Until then we continue as we currently are.

I have no idea what the outcome will be. A vote some 5yrs ago - maybe longer - saw booking system for casual golf as we have had to implement for the pandemic rejected by 3 to 1.

I was dead against in that previous vote - I do not know what I will vote this time, my vehement opposition to a booking system is mostly dissipated.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Booking and 10 minute gaps will be staying at my place, along with entering scores electronically ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've only been a member of 1 club that used to do the ball in the chute idea.... I'd actively find a different club to join if my place introduced the ball chute idea.
…and some at my place have said that they will do likewise if we do not reintroduce the ball chute.

D

Deleted member 15344

…and some at my place have said that they will do likewise if we do not reintroduce the ball chute.

We have had the same threats as well - we asked them where are they going to join and when they mentioned some clubs - it was clubs that are looking to keep tee times as well. Find them hollow threads

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are staying. Vote of playing members - 70% turnout have voted 3:1 to stay with booking system for casual play as we have been using it through the pandemic.

Really pleased that the turnout was high and the result was overwhelming as complaints and push-back from those who threatened to leave if ‘stay’ will fall on stoney ground.

Club is going to liaise with organisers of roll-ups to see how best to accommodate them as close to their original format as possible. It’s worked OK through the pandemic but reserved times have limited numbers who could play; entering had to be at least two days in advance; playing group of four selected at random and tee time allocated two days in advance, and all of that ’in advance aspect’ but especially limiting the numbers - are not consistent with our roll-up practices. Unlimited numbers and groups and times chosen on the day.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined during the Covid era, so we had tee bookings throughout; I never had trouble getting a tee time for about when I wanted.

We have now reverted to no tee bookings - ball in chute at busy times. Before saying I'd prefer tee bookings, I at least want to see how it pans out. I don't often play at the very busy times.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I joined during the Covid era, so we had tee bookings throughout; I never had trouble getting a tee time for about when I wanted.

We have now reverted to no tee bookings - ball in chute at busy times. Before saying I'd prefer tee bookings, I at least want to see how it pans out. I don't often play at the very busy times.
Interestingly we have only taken on a few dozen new members during the Covid era. I was thinking new members might swing the vote for keeping booking to the irritation of members of more long-standing who would want it dumped…however that has not been the case. The previous vote some 5 yrs ago was against bringing in booking - but the experience of the pandemic era has clearly changed a lot of minds - mine included.

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Interestingly we have only taken on a few dozen new members during the Covid era. I was thinking new members might swing the vote for keeping booking to the irritation of members of more long-standing who would want it dumped…however that has not been the case. The previous vote some 5 yrs ago was against bringing in booking - but the experience of the pandemic era has clearly changed a lot of minds - mine included.

I think we have about 10% of membership joined in the last 18 months. I found tee bookings worked fine - I'd hate to turn up and find I had to wait an hour or more to play. However, we have two courses which mitgates the risk of this. However, happy to give to give it a go with just turning up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow.. we just got an email from the club.

"From Saturday the 7th August we will be reverting back to a 3 tee start, at Weekends. You will no longer be able to book through Intelligent Golf, at Weekends. Tees 1-8-13 will open from 8.00-9.15am, on a roll up basis with the sign up sheet in the Professional shop, afternoon play will commence from 12.30.

There's no change during the week days with booking through Intelligent Golf for 1st-10th tees."

That's rather annoying. Oh well. The times we normally booked tend to be quieter so hopefully we'll have no trouble getting on. I just don't really like the uncertainty of it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Wow.. we just got an email from the club.

"From Saturday the 7th August we will be reverting back to a 3 tee start, at Weekends. You will no longer be able to book through Intelligent Golf, at Weekends. Tees 1-8-13 will open from 8.00-9.15am, on a roll up basis with the sign up sheet in the Professional shop, afternoon play will commence from 12.30.

There's no change during the week days with booking through Intelligent Golf for 1st-10th tees."

That's rather annoying. Oh well. The times we normally booked tend to be quieter so hopefully we'll have no trouble getting on. I just don't really like the uncertainty of it.
I don't like this. As much as I like Roll-ups....not this kind of roll-up. It's more back to the old way of doing things before my time.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 starting positions? No thanks.
I honestly have no idea how they can possibly manage that. We tend to tee off a little later than most, say 11ish give or take half an hour, so we should have no trouble teeing off - but the chances of us bumping into someone who's started on the 8th or 13th will be quite high I guess. :confused:

D

Deleted member 3432

I honestly have no idea how they can possibly manage that. We tend to tee off a little later than most, say 11ish give or take half an hour, so we should have no trouble teeing off - but the chances of us bumping into someone who's started on the 8th or 13th will be quite high I guess. :confused:

Reading what your club have posted it sounds like tees are blocked off between 9-15 and 12-30.....

So unless nobody turns up you are screwed if you turn up for 11-00. Back to the dark ages :ROFLMAO:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Captains Committee decided immediately that 100% back to no tee bookings. Oh and reminded us about the Saturday morning roll-up groups times (in other words don't bother trying to play then). Lots of very unhappy members who have enjoyed many aspects of the tee booking - especially new members who had the opportunity to sign in next to other members and always have company on the course. So we're doing our usual and making decisions to suit about 10% of the membership.

Hopefully it will soon be a more democratic process and go to a member's vote.

D

Deleted member 3432

Captains Committee decided immediately that 100% back to no tee bookings. Oh and reminded us about the Saturday morning roll-up groups times (in other words don't bother trying to play then). Lots of very unhappy members who have enjoyed many aspects of the tee booking - especially new members who had the opportunity to sign in next to other members and always have company on the course. So we're doing our usual and making decisions to suit about 10% of the membership.

As long as the self important minority get 'their' protected tee times....

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We seem to have gone to a hybrid system at weekends, with no booking on, say, Sunday mornings, but with booking required on Sunday afternoons. Looks like there are still tee times during the week.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I am rather astonished that such a decision can be made by this committee without reference to the membership - however the 'captains' committee might be elected/chosen/selected.

Many clubs (including my own) have not previously operated a tee booking system for casual golf (the tech has made the difference for me) - and so it was absolutely appropriate and indeed necessary for the club to poll the membership on the way ahead. There would have been all hell to pay (in fact it would have been inconceivable) if a committee had made the decision without doing so. The one decision the committee did make was to not offer a hybrid solution as an option - primarily as there were so many variants suggested - they kept it to: keep 'as is', or revert to 'as was'. As members we understood how both of these options would work.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a communique from the Board about this..
Starting ASAP we are going to be trialling, for a year, the following...
All strokeplay comps will be booked via BRS excluding Sunday comps
Mondays, Tuesday mornings, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sunday morning will remain turn up and play with a 2 tee start
Wednesdays and Fridays will be booked via BRS...
Talk about complicated.....

Plus...a Member has successfully gathered the 20 Members signatures required in the Constitution to vote on introducing a full time booking system at EGM
Expecting a vote in the next couple of months...
We live in interesting times.....