Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I hope we keep tee bookings - it’s working very well for the club as a whole

I really hope the booking system stays. Juggling family life, work and golf would be near on impossible if I had to spend hours waiting to tee off or turned up and couldn't get on at all.

I hope we keep them too. Was averse at first, I like the old turn up and play when it suits me, mostly after work. But, as the last year has rolled by, it has become really useful to book, see who's on the course, avoid certain groups, and know I'm pretty much going out when I get there. Even with the swindle on a Sunday, pre-drawing and booking in advance is way better than 30+ turning up on the morning, balls in a hat and being drawn last, then having to wait on the tee so that no one jumps in front. Booking all the way for me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I want them gone, same group every week with same times. You can book 2 weeks in advance but the panic rush booking is making it impossible.

Ball in the shoot for me

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't see clubs going away from the booking system....just not going to happen. Right now, my 2nd club is running rollups, comps, visiting parties etc just by blocking out certain times. Easy to do. My 1st club hasn't brought back rollups yet, but are blocking out all kinds of times for certain groups. Kind of strange how they can't do it for rollups, but a large visiting party is no problem:mad:
On this your club could, we do, but as the rollup is then recognised on our system as an organised competition it can be easily tweaked to meet the criteria for a WHS qualifier - which is what has happened at my place. We do from time to change the format of our rollup from individual strokeplay to such as AM-AM and these do not qualify. But there is nothing preventing your club block out tee times on your system for rollups - just that doing so has consequences.

Pre-pandemic we were a strongly non-booking membership. We will have to have a vote on what the committee proposes for post 19th in respect of keeping booking or reverting to no booking for non-formal competition golf. I cannot call how it will go. Previously it was 70/30 against, but many new members and possibly quite a different view of tee booking among the new members - especially where the new member was not previously in a traditional members club with no booking.

I have been firmly dead against tee booking for all golf...but as a result of my experience through the pandemic with booking in place I have changed my position - but I do not yet know whether I will vote for or against its retention. My view is that in the first instance the vote should be deferred for a short period during which we revert to no booking. We then have a vote given our fresh experiences of having booking and not having booking.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not true. I'm a new member at my club and have played with and spoken to loads of different people.
Maybe your system allows you to join someone ours dosnt so a single player can play on his own if he wants to.
With the 10 mins intervals we don’t see many other players.
Depends on the person as well ,you are obviously a social person not everyone is that outgoing.

Mandofred

Visit site
On this your club could, we do, but as the rollup is then recognised on our system as an organised competition it can be easily tweaked to meet the criteria for a WHS qualifier - which is what has happened at my place. We do from time to change the format of our rollup from individual strokeplay to such as AM-AM and these do not qualify. But there is nothing preventing your club block out tee times on your system for rollups - just that doing so has consequences.

Pre-pandemic we were a strongly non-booking membership. We will have to have a vote on what the committee proposes for post 19th in respect of keeping booking or reverting to no booking for non-formal competition golf. I cannot call how it will go. Previously it was 70/30 against, but many new members and possibly quite a different view of tee booking among the new members - especially where the new member was not previously in a traditional members club with no booking.

I have been firmly dead against tee booking for all golf...but as a result of my experience through the pandemic with booking in place I have changed my position - but I do not yet know whether I will vote for or against its retention. My view is that in the first instance the vote should be deferred for a short period during which we revert to no booking. We then have a vote given our fresh experiences of having booking and not having booking.
rollups at my new club are not individual comps.....team comps. So consequences? Aren't any that I see.....other than I keep losing money.....

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Could be me of course.
I can't see a connection between the mgr setting up the booking times/system and WHS.
If a rollup is organised and is an individual strokeplay format and you have it set up on your booking system then your rollup satisfies many if not most of the criteria of a comp that meets the criteria for WHS. Your club may then choose to follow the WHS guidelines and require your rollup scores to count towards your HI.

This is what has come to pass at my club. It is not universally popular though we accept that the basis of WHS is that as many rounds as possible are included in my moving window of 20. As a result we play one week in four as an AM-AM format comp as that format does not satisfy the criteria for a WHS acceptable comp.

Many if not most of us have managed to adjust our thinking around WHS ‘qualifying’ rounds and are able to play our rollup rounds as relaxed as if they didn’t count towards our handicap. That adjustment is not easy and some are finding it very difficult.

Last edited:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a rollup is organised and is an individual strokeplay format and you have it set up on your booking system then your rollup satisfies many if not most of the criteria of a comp that meets the criteria for WHS. Your club may then choose to follow the WHS guidelines and require your rollup scores to count towards your HI.

This is what has come to pass at my club. It is not universally popular though we accept that the basis of WHS is that as many rounds as possible are included in my moving window of 20. As a result we play one week in four as an AM-AM format comp as that format does not satisfy the criteria for a WHS acceptable comp.

Many if not most of us have managed to adjust our thinking around WHS ‘qualifying’ rounds and are able to play our rollup rounds as relaxed as if they didn’t count towards our handicap. That adjustment is not easy and some are finding it very difficult.

Basically sounds like bollocks!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Basically sounds like bollocks!
It’s following WHS guidelines for clubs in including as many organised individual strokeplay competition as counting towards a players H/I - as that is the basic foundational logic of the way the system works. And in truth, if I regularly score more than 36pts stableford, or indeed if I regularly score mid20s, in organised rollup comps, then it is reasonable for the club to want to include these scores in my HI calculation. And working with the the organiser of each of the three large (30+ playing) rollups, that is what the club has decided and that is what has happened.

Now if the membership decides to abandon tee booking for other than formal club comps then I do not know what will happen to the rollups re WHS. They will still be organised but not quite to the same extent as they won’t have to be identified on our booking system as a comp.

Mandofred

Visit site

Not a problem. As I mentioned earlier, the rollups we have are team based so while they "could" incorporate a way to record individual scores it would change the way the rollups are run to do so. Club 2 takes the best 3 of 4 scores on each hole so sometimes people don't putt out since they can't help the team score. That I know of.....this discussion of forcing people to put in more results hasn't come up. Club 1 hasn't started rollups up again with the excuse that they don't want to start block bookings.....yet they don't seem to have a problem block booking millions of visiting groups, and ladies mornings, and comps. If they don't bring the rollups back I'll be dropping membership at the end of March and sticking with the new club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our three main rollups are core to the ethos of us being a collective membership as they enable new members to very quickly become integrated into the membership. A way had to be found to continue with them once a booking system for all golf had to be introduced for the duration of the pandemic, and they will continue whether or not booking for all golf is kept.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
But if, in your club administered rollup, the competitors all agree to allow gimmes, say, up to putter length handle, that negates the need to use the scores for WHS!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But if, in your club administered rollup, the competitors all agree to allow gimmes, say, up to putter length handle, that negates the need to use the scores for WHS!!!
It's the other way round.

As the club has reserved each of our rollups a batch of tee times (and that was not universally popular with other members), the quid pro quo is that the club has required us to tweak our rollups to make them acceptable for WHS.

So in the friendly 4BBB side match we play in our rollup group we can still give gimmies (we were only tap in gimmies in any case so not a big deal) but we must then hole out - or if we choose to not hole out and simply pick up, we do not score any pts in the rollup s/ford we might otherwise have scored for that hole).

Once every four weeks we play a AM-AM (each hole 2 s/f pts scores from 4 counting) and as that is not an acceptable format we can do whatever we want in respect of gimmies and pts still counting)

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the other way round.

As the club has reserved each of our rollups a batch of tee times (and that was not universally popular with other members), the quid pro quo is that the club has required us to tweak our rollups to make them acceptable for WHS.

So in the friendly 4BBB side match we play in our rollup group we can still give gimmies (we were only tap in gimmies in any case so not a big deal) but we must then hole out - or if we choose to not hole out and simply pick up, we do not score any pts in the rollup s/ford we might otherwise have scored for that hole).

Once every four weeks we play a AM-AM (each hole 2 s/f pts scores from 4 counting) and as that is not an acceptable format we can do whatever we want in respect of gimmies and pts still counting)

Hmmmm....i don't really follow the link between the club allocating tee times for a specific group/purpose, and them enforcing rules for those that play at those times.

Wherever I have played in a roll up there has been an organiser who determines how playing partners are selected (e.g. a draw or based on arrival time) and the format and prize structure.

Does your "club" determine the payout structure for these roll ups? Are they really roll ups then or just club comps under a different guise?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've just had a Member's survey and, encouragingly from my point of view, 60% of the members want the Committee to investigate the Pros and Cons of keeping the booking system. Doesn't, of course, mean they're all in favour but the majority seem open to the idea