Taylormade lost sale.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Played a round with my mate last saturday and he just got himself a Taylor Made burner TP driver….not cheap, but Robert was creaming the ball with it and the following day he won the winter open, best scratch, at Winterfield Golf club last weekend.

So I get up this morning and I give Scott Gourlay a bell, the pro at Craigmillar park Edinburgh. I played the odd game with Scott before he turned pro and more important he has the latest high tech launch monitor.

Fully expecting to end up getting the Burner I came away with a ping G10 and I’ll tell you why. The Taylormade burner sits terrible on the deck and this was the standard model not the draw model…….god knows what that would look like. Don’t get me wrong, the Tour preferred sits spot on but the standard £200 jobby does not. I was real close to getting a TP model but after hitting around 50 balls with one or two variants I tried the G10 and straight away it sits naturally square to the target. I was hitting it as far as the Burner TP, I was teeing the G10 up low and I could hit it low, I teed it high and I was hitting it higher. I’m not the biggest hitter with a 92-95 MPH swing speed, ball speed 132-135 MPH but the G10 got the nod by a long way considering the price.

So here is a message for Taylormade. Get your bloody finger out and give us every day punters a club that sits square on the deck. If people want a draw or super draw then fine but at least give us a square face model without bursting the bank for a TP model.

Why am I ditching my noisy Srixon ZTi, now that’s another story?

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Tomo21
My husband has got a taylormade burner TP driver amd he loves it, since having it he has increased his distance by 30-40 yards and making most fairways, he got his cheap from AG Northampton, only paid £129 due to surface marks. He used to play with Callaway FT 3 draw bias but after he had an op on his wrist he couldn't hit it properly and spent more time in the trees than on the fairway, he liked the Srixon Zti and it a god ball with it but prefers the TaylorMade. I myself swear by my ladies Yonex C280FL driver, it's got a nice small head and sits really well and 9/10 hits end up on the fairway. I'm going to the Yonex demo day at AG northampton next Sat so may try the nanospeed.
Like Homer would like to know why you are ditching your Srixon.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why am I ditching my noisy Srixon ZTi, now that’s another story?

[/QUOTE]

You should know you can't end a story like this. Spill the beans.

mboy1980

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Tomo21
My husband has got a taylormade burner TP driver amd he loves it, since having it he has increased his distance by 30-40 yards and making most fairways, he got his cheap from AG Northampton, only paid £129 due to surface marks. He used to play with Callaway FT 3 draw bias but after he had an op on his wrist he couldn't hit it properly and spent more time in the trees than on the fairway, he liked the Srixon Zti and it a god ball with it but prefers the TaylorMade. I myself swear by my ladies Yonex C280FL driver, it's got a nice small head and sits really well and 9/10 hits end up on the fairway. I'm going to the Yonex demo day at AG northampton next Sat so may try the nanospeed.
Like Homer would like to know why you are ditching your Srixon.

That's what he's telling you. :D :D :D

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Right, the Burner, as far as I know has 3 basic models……..the standards, the draw (which I never seen) and the Tour Preferred, obviously all with different shaft and loft combinations. The standard models club face, in my opinion and the pros, sits pointing to the left. Now, as I never seen or tried the actual draw model, goodness knows what that would have been like. The TP sits beautiful but so does the G10 which is cheaper by around £80.

The point I’m making is………I don’t get why TM don’t make a neutral siting burner like the TP. Why do I have to pay extra for the TP just for it to sit properly?

Although my swing speed borders on a stiff shaft, I got better feel from the regular and to get the benefit from the stiff I need to be at my absolute best. Just to confuse things, I think you can get the G10 in a draw model also.

So why did I ditch the Srixon. Mainly because I’ve joined a new golf club, It’s tree lined and I tend to hook the ball a little from time to time. Most of the holes are more forgiving to the right or with a fade. Most of the greens open more from the right as well. The Srixon is a really good club, but it has a left bias and it’s also noisy, probably the noisiest club I’ve heard. Basically, I’m trying to eliminate the left…….easier said than done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spoke to one of the GM guys on Thursday about the Burner. I had seen it had a good review but when I tried it I couldn't get on with it. I hit the standard and the draw bias in 10.5 degree with the regular flex shaft.

I was told that the standard and tour models both sit 1 degree closed so that may be why they don't suit your eye when you put them down. Not sure why Taylor Made have done this unless it is to promote a right to left flight or for a stronger ball flight

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Spoke to one of the GM guys on Thursday about the Burner. I had seen it had a good review but when I tried it I couldn't get on with it. I hit the standard and the draw bias in 10.5 degree with the regular flex shaft.

I was told that the standard and tour models both sit 1 degree closed so that may be why they don't suit your eye when you put them down. Not sure why Taylor Made have done this unless it is to promote a right to left flight or for a stronger ball flight

No, the TP and the standard do not sit the same. If you guys get a chance have a look.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lads I tested the Burner Draw-it does sit slightly closed but now excessively, in my opinion,.

I get on well with the club-as a 19 handicapper i do get the odd bad drive when i get too quick with the swing. But if my rythm is spot on i am driving straighter and longer than my old R5.

as with all clubs is down to personal choice. Some love the Ping, others like Cobra and others like Nike.

T

thecraw

Good shooting keep it up.

G10 is awesome full stop!!! I also love the 3 wood and if I manage to pick up a voucher or two this year thats where its going to be spent! A G10 3 wood with a Grafalloy red stiff shaft!!!

mmmmmmmmmmm

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tomo, just spotted this thread raised from the dead....what loft did you get your G10 in? If your driver speed is 92-95, do find you lack a little distance (generaly, not just the driver) ? I only ask, because we have the same speed and I'm trying to gain a few more yards....across the board.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Tomo, just spotted this thread raised from the dead....what loft did you get your G10 in? If your driver speed is 92-95, do find you lack a little distance (generaly, not just the driver) ? I only ask, because we have the same speed and I'm trying to gain a few more yards....across the board.

I got the 10.5 and yes I don’t hit the ball all that far but I’m quite happy with the distance as long as I’m hitting it well. I’m not getting any younger and I’m trying to hit the ball better rather than further. 95mph swing speed is actually not bad. I hit my 7 iron 145 or so and I’m not talking about any run just carry as I usually get the ball to sit well on receptive greens.

For me the main thing with the G10 is how neutral the club sits on the deck……it’s not the draw version. My Srixon driver is left biased and as I said further up this topic I really need the ball to go a little left to right as it opens up most of the greens. I used the driver 14 times in the midweek medal round. I was never in any serious trouble but I did cut one up a little and I did pull a couple as well. Out of the 14, 10 were really good. Considering it was my first medal at this tree lined course and with a scratch score of 3 over par, I can’t complain. I other words the driver has done exactly what it says on the tin.

I would have liked to get the TM Burner but you need to pay extra for the TP version to get a driver that sits square.

Anyone fancy a Srixon ZTi 10.5 regular driver? I’m open to reasonable offers.