Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can’t believe it’s taken them this long to be honest ?

Fair comment. Have ridden my luck for a while now. Didn't see the point when being negative (and there were some topics where I called it as I see it) to hide behind anonymity although it was offered at the very start of the survey. The club know I am vocal on my opinions so if they want to take up my points I'm happy to argue my corner

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We renewed in November, full fees, which is fine with me. Club did give those that paid on time a free three ball playing with member. That will cover my three ball donation to H4H last year.(y);)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Letter from the chairman came yesterday. Justification of costs and usage of membership funds. They did not furlough the green staff and they worked through the lock downs. Their work is evident, but you could argue what have you spent the membership on in the preceding 10 yrs.. as the course should be maintained. They have raised the cost by 2% in line with inflation ( allegedly- not sure where they get that figure) . The full membership will suck it up the course is very popular, I would argue that the reduced fees for the ages 22-32 should see a 10-15% rise but these have not been touched. But I will pay my membership, it hasn’t got prohibitive yet.

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Subs due in March, 2% increase, in line with inflation. Club has done a lot of work during lockdown and course is in great nick. Probably will have a waiting list for new members. They recruited loads after initial lockdown.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just had an email from our chairman, stating that subs will not be due until June. I think given the economic climate that's reasonable and appropriate.

D

Deleted member 21258

Think I know all of them now, for next year fees. A selection pot of different responses :-

1 club up 6.25%, expensive but tee times almost always available due to restricted number membership, need to find another club like this, no thought paid up
1 club the same as last year, nothing given, loads of extra visitors and new members, was difficult getting a tee time, managed to play 4 times
1 club the same as last year, nothing given, to many active members, been a problem for 1.5 years nothing to do with the virus but was made worse, managed to play 10 times.
1 club a couple of months free & 3 guest fees, managed to play 3 times I think, mainly due to welsh government restrictions
1 club a discount of around 10% iirc, tee times were restricted to certain times, that meant I almost didn't play there due to work pressures, think I managed about 10 times

Up in the air with them and what to do, as cant see this year being much better. Think I am leaving at least 2 of them, due to not being able to get tee times that work, extra work pressures and partly to save money, with the reduction in my business that is happening.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I know all of them now, for next year fees. A selection pot of different responses :-

1 club up 6.25%, expensive but tee times almost always available due to restricted number membership, need to find another club like this, no thought paid up
1 club the same as last year, nothing given, loads of extra visitors and new members, was difficult getting a tee time, managed to play 4 times
1 club the same as last year, nothing given, to many active members, been a problem for 1.5 years nothing to do with the virus but was made worse, managed to play 10 times.
1 club a couple of months free & 3 guest fees, managed to play 3 times I think, mainly due to welsh government restrictions
1 club a discount of around 10% iirc, tee times were restricted to certain times, that meant I almost didn't play there due to work pressures, think I managed about 10 times

Up in the air with them and what to do, as cant see this year being much better. Think I am leaving at least 2 of them, due to not being able to get tee times that work, extra work pressures and partly to save money, with the reduction in my business that is happening.
You have a membership at 5 Clubs?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our place are really pushing the boat out for 21/22. They're paying our EGU subscriptions and putting £25 on our green cards to spend in the bar. In the meantime we're now fully stocked with members, with a waiting list and are going back to charging joining fees.

Diamond

Visit site
I have a dilemma. Been at the club for 12 months now and in that time the Club has been closed for 5 months. I pay £1100 a year and it runs August to August. I have 6 months left and currently paying monthly direct debits, we have had no rebates.

Another club has emailed me as I have been on their waiting list for 14 months. They said I am now top of waiting list and will be contacted some time in February/March. It is the best course in my local area for draining but there is a registration fee of £1000 and then £1100 subs. I am hoping I can join in August when my current membership runs out otherwise I would have to cancel my current membership. The other issue is the 2 clubs are 10-15 mins from where I live but are in different county golf unions and I have entered 5 county qualifiers between May and July.

I will wait until I get the call but I will probably turn the new club down if I can’t join in August. The difference in draining is not whether the courses are open but being clean and dry after a round or covered in mud during the winter months.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really feel for my previous club.

For members paying by direct debit, due to clauses in the contract all payments were deferred which although great for the member must have hurt the club. For members paying in one lump payment, they have lost 6 months golf.

With renewals coming up the members who have paid up in one hit are expecting a discount adjustment to their renewals which is around 700 based on opening in feb, but I don’t see financially how a club can offer a 50% reduction to 50% of its members unless it spreads it over 2-3 years.

Also how many members will see direct debit as a secured way of membership which has to effect the clubs cash flow.

I think it’s fair to say that if it’s expected to give £700 back of renewals, it will have an impact on sub renewals but there are others better in the area that are not a lot more....

Tough times

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having to pay full subs isn't my bug bear. It's the zero acknowledgement from the club. Pretty much been "you all have to pay full stop". If I was in management I would at least be sending out emails or Facebook photos of what out money goes towards, what's being done and the importance of keeping money coming in.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Having to pay full subs isn't my bug bear. It's the zero acknowledgement from the club. Pretty much been "you all have to pay full stop". If I was in management I would at least be sending out emails or Facebook photos of what out money goes towards, what's being done and the importance of keeping money coming in.
Golf clubs, members clubs specifically, believe themselves to be special. They forget they’re a leisure provider, just like many others.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a dilemma. Been at the club for 12 months now and in that time the Club has been closed for 5 months. I pay £1100 a year and it runs August to August. I have 6 months left and currently paying monthly direct debits, we have had no rebates.

Another club has emailed me as I have been on their waiting list for 14 months. They said I am now top of waiting list and will be contacted some time in February/March. It is the best course in my local area for draining but there is a registration fee of £1000 and then £1100 subs. I am hoping I can join in August when my current membership runs out otherwise I would have to cancel my current membership. The other issue is the 2 clubs are 10-15 mins from where I live but are in different county golf unions and I have entered 5 county qualifiers between May and July.

I will wait until I get the call but I will probably turn the new club down if I can’t join in August. The difference in draining is not whether the courses are open but being clean and dry after a round or covered in mud during the winter months.
I think you should think long term and take the short term financial pain. Join the club that you originally wanted and signed up to the waiting list. Get a refund for the county qualifiers. “being clean and dry after a round or covered in mud during the winter months” is the clincher for me.