Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club are again bring brilliant

Subs freezed whilst there closed

Should be £1000 a year I'm coming up to a year next month and will have paid £700 (with a months credit by looks as they couldn't stop this month's DD so will cover the first month open)

Very happy with how their dealing with us

Mandofred

Visit site
Our renewal is 1 April. I paid the full year (£1000 near as dammit) up front the first week of March (fool!!). During the first lockdown the club offered us a months money back or we could take that amount off next years dues. They also made a point of mentioning that a number have people had just told the club to keep the extra....just to help the club. But because the timing of the closure was perfect for people who wait to pay until the last second.....a whole lot of people paid nothing during that time. I was going to take some money off next years dues, but because I'm not sure I'm renewing I sent an email to them a few days ago asking for the months money now....haven't heard anything back yet. I just can't see golf getting anywhere near back to normal for ages....another reason to maybe take a break from golf.

sunshine

Visit site
as long as I play a lot between end of lockdown and end of April I can still get my money's worth overall

When do you think the end of lockdown will be?

I have a feeling this time we're in it for the long haul :cry: and we might not be out on the courses before April :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Message from club chairman today. We normally send out renewal notices 1st Feb to be paid or payment plan in place by end Feb. However decision on 2021/22 subs is on hold until we have completed the finance review the club will carry out after mid-Feb government review of pandemic situation. At that point we’ll know if we are to reopen soon after or we get told when we might be able to. We have a solid waiting list at the moment so situation in respect of replacing those who do not renew is good. But we have to be careful.

personally i am as @Jimaroid in that I am not concerned that I might not have got great value for money last year when I look at it in terms of cost/round. But I count myself very fortunate to be able to say that, and my membership of my club is more than just playing rounds of golf.

Last edited:

gopher99

Visit site
I will be looking at flexi membership once my membership runs out in April, I have moved out of the area since i joined and can’t see myself going back just to play golf or use the gym because I have to justify the monthly fee. It will work out very expensive otherwise.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When crisis is over a few clubs will cease to exist :cry:. I would imagine the membership at the surviving clubs will get to capacity quickly
Most likely impose a joining fee and have waiting lists .:eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

I would hope all members of golf clubs think like this but they don’t.

Exactly

Thankfully the majority of our members have supported the club throughout , we are full and a waiting list right now , we offered a choice of credit and the vote was no , we kept subs the same and we are going to spend more money this year finishing the irrigation off. The club have again offered credit in terms of cash back or onto the bar card for the current lockdown but I’ll turn it down. There will only be a club there to play when lockdown does finish if we support it during these times.

D

Deleted member 17920

Exactly

Thankfully the majority of our members have supported the club throughout , we are full and a waiting list right now , we offered a choice of credit and the vote was no , we kept subs the same and we are going to spend more money this year finishing the irrigation off. The club have again offered credit in terms of cash back or onto the bar card for the current lockdown but I’ll turn it down. There will only be a club there to play when lockdown does finish if we support it during these times.
Couldn’t agree more. Having been a member at one club and helping close it all down it’s not a process I can recommend.

Selling all the green keeping equipment for peanuts just felt soul destroying.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I would hope all members of golf clubs think like this but they don’t.

I agree but I have to say forking out the annual membership fee on March 1st when, I suspect, we still won't know when we are likely to be back playing, is a hard pill to swallow. Will just have to bite the bullet and write off the time we are closed, as I did last year.

Our fees have been frozen, but no sign of offering more than 12 months membership. Refunds have been more or less ruled out, rightly so in my eyes, as it would be minimal and investment in the course has been made.

D

Deleted member 17920

I agree but I have to say forking out the annual membership fee on March 1st when, I suspect, we still won't know when we are likely to be back playing, is a hard pill to swallow. Will just have to bite the bullet and write off the time we are closed, as I did last year.

Our fees have been frozen, but no sign of offering more than 12 months membership. Refunds have been more or less ruled out, rightly so in my eyes, as it would be minimal and investment in the course has been made.
Are you at a members owned club or a proprietary owned club?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We still haven't decided yet. Until we know when we are allowed back out on the course no decision can be made. It will probably end up as an option of proportional refund of fees to bar card, donate to club or a combination of the two.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I’ll probably see what develops over the next couple of week. I think if I left I wouldn’t go back, would be too embarrassed and probably get black balled anyway!

Have a chat with your club and see if they are members of the CASC scheme. Its a tax exemption scheme run by UK gov to help sports clubs, they are very likely to be enrolled.

If they are, Clause 2.7 of the guidlines requirers them to offer reduced price memberships for those who find the financial burden a barrier to membership.

Im not an expert, (and this may not even describe your situation!) just happened to stumble across the guidlines, but very much worth having a dig and finding out if your club can help.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Paying my annual subs this week.... we got a small decrease in light of all the closures, but it is member owned, so it's a clear choice between supporting the club or not. Wife is at St Pierre (Marriott owned) No subs chargeable while it's closed. They presumably are big enough t take the hit, but for how long?