Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes we will probably get a warning from a Mod.

I am ready to play golf at my club and have offered to put £100 on the bar card when they start back up. Hopefully this would initially help them in the early days after lockdown.

Saying that I hear Ireland are talking about charging people 5 Euros just to get into a pub and 1 Euro added onto the cost of a pint. Hopefully it does not come to that here but maybe members only clubs/bars will do better (same social circles as opposed to different people every time you go in).

I know a lot of season ticket holders, for different PL teams, over the age of 40 and none of them want to renew, its not their own safety but their relatives and friends they are worried about.
Would you rather go the game or spend time with you Mum or Nana?

The problem with local non league teams that the opp suggested is that people will much more prefer to play football themselves or take up a low risk contact hobby like golf or fishing.

Non league and lower league clubs need people to queue for entrance, beer, food and to go the toilet. Its just as bad as larger clubs.

My point is golf clubs like fishing has an opportunity that a lot of other sports wont.
I think football and golf are two worlds apart.
Golf we could play and not touch anything except our own equipment.
Football however is a very different game ,it’s not so much the crowds for me.
The game would have to change?
Pulling shirts, holding a player off ,tackling ,pushing all requires contact between the players .
I just can’t see this being allowed yet.
I was ST holder at Liverpool but lost my love of the game a while ago.
Not Covid related.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think football and golf are two worlds apart.
Golf we could play and not touch anything except our own equipment.
Football however is a very different game ,it’s not so much the crowds for me.
The game would have to change?
Pulling shirts, holding a player off ,tackling ,pushing all requires contact between the players .
I just can’t see this being allowed yet.
I was ST holder at Liverpool but lost my love of the game a while ago.
Not Covid related.
But it will be possible to test all players and know they are Covid free, so there shouldn't be any reason not to play high level football. Local football/rugby is a different matter but I suspect the fact they are doing testing on people of a vaccine this week suggests that by the start of next season it's highly possible that everyone who's not had it will be vaccinated

Mick68

Visit site
Vaccines take a long time to make. I think we'll be lucky if we've developed one by the start of next season and everyone's been vaccinated by the start of the following season. They'll start with high risk people and NHS workers I would think so once they're done we could hopefully lift a lot of the restrictions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But it will be possible to test all players and know they are Covid free, so there shouldn't be any reason not to play high level football. Local football/rugby is a different matter but I suspect the fact they are doing testing on people of a vaccine this week suggests that by the start of next season it's highly possible that everyone who's not had it will be vaccinated
Someone tested on Friday could have the virus by Saturday.
So I don’t think testing will solve the contact sport problem.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Someone tested on Friday could have the virus by Saturday.
So I don’t think testing will solve the contact sport problem.

A PL footballer tested as late as the testing results will allow, and is either clear of, or over, coronavirus can be isolated after testing until match time arrives and it's highly unlikely that they will catch it in the interim period. The problem is that the supporters wont have that luxury

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A PL footballer tested as late as the testing results will allow, and is either clear of, or over, coronavirus can be isolated after testing until match time arrives and it's highly unlikely that they will catch it in the interim period. The problem is that the supporters wont have that luxury
Would he have to train on his own? Tactics on zoom etc.
I can’t see it happening . Injuries need treatment on and off the field.
As soon as the public see this then they will think it’s ok for them so ok for me.(some anyway obviously)
If they can’t test frontline NHS staff ,( my son had to isolate for two weeks because his son had a cough)
Where are they getting tests to do footballers before every match.
Until a vaccine or antibody test is available it’s not safe imo of course!
The test takes three days I think to get results.

Last edited:

Ducky81

Visit site
I play at Tenterden Golf Club, have done for over ten years.
They’ve sent out a message to members that it won’t survive unless we pay up our subs now (in full), they’re all due shortly. Goodness knows why they need all the cash in one go when the overheads have reduced hugely, they must know that members are having it hard at the moment too. They reckon they need it for immediate cash flow and payment of furloughed staff because they won’t get the money from the government for months even though other businesses have that cash coming in already (smells a bit fishy to us lot) They’re a secretive bunch that run it and apparently they misrepresented financials to the members when trying to borrow money (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds) to push through a new club house that pretty much no one wants, other than them, it’s their ivory tower.
They’re not coming forward with any substantial plan for us despite being asked...a lot of our swindles reckon they’re going to leave, apparently Chart Hills locally may offer TGC members 50% off to join them.
Shame Tenterden is a nice little club but has no loyalty towards it members, the committee members have had a sniff of power and it’s gone straight to their heads. ?
Stay safe people - we’ll be back golfing in our two balls in a few weeks
Sounds like the management of BPGC ?

Tgcgc

Visit site
Is it a members “owned” club?

What's the general consensus of the members with regards the subs/club survival?
Hi
So the general consensus is one of confusion. We are a members club, we own our land clubhouse etc, very low overheads and very few staff, many members, certainly in my playing group, have concerns that we’re in such poor financial shape, it doesn’t make sense to us. Most of us are retired so paying up now isn’t actually going to affect us too much, my daughter who works wouldn’t be in the same position though. Quite a few guy are not renewing, the wet winter forced them not to play and they’ve got into that routine now and will pay green fees for the odd round. As a result of the club’s attitude toward the renewals, and if the Chart Hills rumour is true I’d say we’ll loose maybe between 20&40% of members. Personally, I will renew I think, Chart Hills is too long for me to play reglaraly and I’ve worked so hard to get my handicap down to 11, I don’t want to see it rocket up?. The club will survive I think but the management will need to be realistic and pull their socks up

Diamond

Visit site
Getting back on topic...our club now has a loan from the bank. They have frozen subs for those paying monthly and will not be putting a levy on for this month (previous correspondence).
They have said that they can look at refunds and discounts for new membership (August) on a case by case basis as they know some people will find it hard to pay following the lock down.
It's what I would expect but there is no sweeping refund or monthly extension for those that have paid up front rather by direct debit. I think the lesson learnt here is to pay monthly in future.

My other subscription, Now TV for sport, have come out and extended it for a month and when the Premier League decides when to start again will make sure they extend the term. I have also read the Premier League may stream all games free for view if played behind closed doors. I do watch the PGA Tour, NFL and Rugby on Sky Sports as well so its not just football.

For my holiday to Bilbao I had a total refund with AirBnB (superb service), total refund with Hertz hire car (good service), UEFA intend to provide a ticket portal next month so I can get money back on my Euro tickets (300 euros) and lastly Easyjet who owe me £600 for flights in June are as everyone knows offering vouchers not cash and I have to wait till the flight date to get my refund (if the company has any money left).

I am still paying for my British Gas cover and they have sent me an email saying business as usual. So any boiler or drain issues I can get someone round to the house. As the AA are touted as the 4th emergency service the reason for not being allowed to travel to the golf course (in case you break down) seems out of kilter when a guy from dinorod can come into my house and unblock a drain, or via the same cover someone come round and fix my electrics.

Last of all I will says this, I have fully supported the lock down from the start and the way people were going about their business on the golf course prior to it made me very angry indeed.
However when i go for my half hour walk the trail is full of lycra clad cyclists, panting runners and other walkers. In my opinion this is far worse than someone going fishing and being 20 metres away from everyone else and also me going golf on my own and not touching flags, rakes and cups. My last round I didn't pick up any tees (if i didnt know if it was mine) or any balls I saw, other people were throwing balls to each other in foursomes so I suppose golf cpurses remain closed due to the minority who spoil it for the rest of us.

On a sad note we had an email from the club stating a senior official in his 50's has died this week. Covid19 was not mentioned but it came out of the blue as he was going to be next years captain. Stay safe guys.

D

Deleted member 21258

So far nothing has been announced at all by any, apart from one that said suck it up basically.

Kind of surprised but will wait and see, as no renewals for along time yet.

Doodle

Visit site
As I see things.
We lost 6 months during the winter due to the incessant rain.
We are now losing the Spring.
If we lose the whole Summer, I can't see too many people coughing up their membership fee's again next year.
We have to get back playing within the next few weeks, otherwise the knock on effect for next year will be devastating

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I see things.
We lost 6 months during the winter due to the incessant rain.
We are now losing the Spring.
If we lose the whole Summer, I can't see too many people coughing up their membership fee's again next year.
We have to get back playing within the next few weeks, otherwise the knock on effect for next year will be devastating
If golfers want to play next year though they will need to pay their fees.
If they don’t the clubs will not be there.
I have paid my fees this year and not expecting any refunds.
I just want my club to survive
Not everyone is as fortunate as me and I can understand them prioritising their money.
Loyalty to the clubs has diminished in recent years due to lots of reasons.
If my club dosnt survive I will have to find another. So will have to pay one or the other!

Doodle

Visit site
It very much depends what you want from a club.
For me it's the Comps / Matches / Social aspect / Handicap.
If none of that is possible & we just end up nudging the ball around, playing to raised cups, I think long term my interest will quickly diminish.
In that scenario I would probably just pay & play once a fortnight or so in the summer months.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Our fees £1700(proprietary course) are due 1st of May. The club have postponed renewal till 1st June. Unfortunately the course suffered badly over the winter, closed at lot more than open. Also 4 fairways have been eaten by leather jackets. It will be interesting when the letters come out, if any of these factors reflect next years fees.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My last club was virtually unplayable from October until I left last month.
Very poor drainage coupled with the biblical rain.
Course was open at times when it shouldn't have been - they've spent this last motn reseeding massive areas that got churned up.
I'd normally plah 2, sometimes 3, times a week
Between October and March I played about a dozen or so times and was plastered in mud every time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My last club was virtually unplayable from October until I left last month.
Very poor drainage coupled with the biblical rain.
Course was open at times when it shouldn't have been - they've spent this last motn reseeding massive areas that got churned up.
I'd normally plah 2, sometimes 3, times a week
Between October and March I played about a dozen or so times and was plastered in mud every time.
I played 3 lots of 9 holes from October until March and that included a month on garden leave when I could have played every day if the weather allowed.