• YES

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • NO

Votes: 49 74.2%

• Total voters

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Has always been organised by the Captain & played with no gimmies. 4man team am & usually singles pm. Maybe it's a 'Northern thing' as a few people may have a beer at midday but dont find it necessary to be blathered as they tend to 'get out' plenty anyway. 🙄
New H/cap Sec is, like the Captain, on the ball with WHS so recognises that the scores shud go in (for Past Captain's event I'd organised earlier in year, with same rules, the County said all scores shud go on record) .... so dummies go out of pram for a few folk so I make pm a NQ Pairs.. jobs a good'n!
Those not driving had even more beer after!😎😎
If it is an AmAm in the morning, then everyone has practiced on the course and is disqualified from the afternoon singles competition. :geek:

Unless it is just for fun... 🥳

D

Deleted member 35577

You are the one that said a person cannot organise a competition at another club. So, surely you can define what a competition is to be able to make that claim?
It's pretty simple. A competition for handicap purposes should be played over a measured and rated course. What if the course that day unknown to us has moved some tees around due to maintenance or some other reason and we play a non measured or rated course but people submit cards back at their home club which is unaware of the course conditions on the day? Hence my comment about one club arranging a competition at a different club.

D-S

Visit site
Has always been organised by the Captain & played with no gimmies. 4man team am & usually singles pm. Maybe it's a 'Northern thing' as a few people may have a beer at midday but dont find it necessary to be blathered as they tend to 'get out' plenty anyway. 🙄
New H/cap Sec is, like the Captain, on the ball with WHS so recognises that the scores shud go in (for Past Captain's event I'd organised earlier in year, with same rules, the County said all scores shud go on record) .... so dummies go out of pram for a few folk so I make pm a NQ Pairs.. jobs a good'n!
Those not driving had even more beer after!😎😎
I assume it will be a different format if cards are going in?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is an AmAm in the morning, then everyone has practiced on the course and is disqualified from the afternoon singles competition. :geek:

Unless it is just for fun... 🥳
The morning round was on a different course.... their 9 holer. ;) Had we played singles I'd have got the pro-shop to confirm that the tees we were off were Q. As it happened I switched format to B/ball to avoid any further issues of folk not understanding why their score would need to go on their H/cap record. As it happens all but a couple queried it when they asked about it being B/ball rather than the normal singles. As explained in OP the following years Cap Away-day was singles & had no bother with cards going in. H/cap Sec & an assistant did them on the Platform as they came in. They both, obviously had to stay sober, but said they'd enjoyed the day & it was fun...... in fact one of them won! :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
It's pretty simple. A competition for handicap purposes should be played over a measured and rated course. What if the course that day unknown to us has moved some tees around due to maintenance or some other reason and we play a non measured or rated course but people submit cards back at their home club which is unaware of the course conditions on the day? Hence my comment about one club arranging a competition at a different club.

Here is a really crazy suggestion. Maybe the person organising the competition (where players are "competing" I assume) can ask the people at the club if the course is set up as a "measured" course. If they happen to say no, then it isn't a "qualifier". If they say yes, then they can run it as a "qualifier".

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this all boils down to if you put GP cards in or you don’t.

So the Captain wants cards in.
But his best friend has never done a GP in his whole life.
His best friend is not going on his mates day out. That’s a shame.

It’s a game we don’t play for a living, just give the players attending a choice.

D-S

Visit site
Here is a really crazy suggestion. Maybe the person organising the competition (where players are "competing" I assume) can ask the people at the club if the course is set up as a "measured" course. If they happen to say no, then it isn't a "qualifier". If they say yes, then they can run it as a "qualifier".
You would like to think that if the course is not set up as qualifying, the course in question would have turned their tees off in the WHS portal so no one can enter GP on their App. If for some reason the players all returned the cards at their home club for entry then the club should check if the course fitted the criteria.
However, clubs allowing GP scores to be submitted when scores should not be acceptable is one of the most breached Rules of Handicapping. Despite frequent entreaties from the County, many clubs still have all their tees switched on when they are patently not set up to be a measured course and they are not scrutinising scores posted by members and visitors alike,

D

Deleted member 35577

When you turn up somewhere for a game with the intention of submitting a card how often do you enquire if the course is a measured course that day?

D

Deleted member 35577

If it isn’t qualifying you shouldn’t be able to submit a card.
As you pointed out in your previous post, it is dependant on the club taking the necessary actions. I have seen instances where a temporary change has been made by greenkeepers for a piece of work then reverted back afterwards but only affecting a small number of groups.

Swango1980

Visit site
When you turn up somewhere for a game with the intention of submitting a card how often do you enquire if the course is a measured course that day?
You've put a ridiculous condition is to indicate why it shouldn't be a qualifying competition. I've pointed out it is not a problem, the Captain can simply ask. Just like a social player could ask, if they were planning in submitting a GP score (which everyone has already indicated they'd be happy with, even if it is an individual choice).

D-S

Visit site
Can I ask where is that information displayed ?
I have never seen it in my clubs noticeboards.
My course always has it on the course status for the day. However you would normally find out by not being able to select a tee when you registered to play.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think this all boils down to if you put GP cards in or you don’t.

So the Captain wants cards in.
But his best friend has never done a GP in his whole life.
His best friend is not going on his mates day out. That’s a shame.

It’s a game we don’t play for a living, just give the players attending a choice.
So, his best friend has never put a social score in. As a result, he decides not to attend this event, simply because his score will go into the system.

To be honest, I feel sorry for his friend. Imagine this being a reason not to go.

We'll need to go back to 2blue to see if this is relevant. 2blue, is your Captain's best friend threatening not to go if scores have to be submitted?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, his best friend has never put a social score in. As a result, he decides not to attend this event, simply because his score will go into the system.

To be honest, I feel sorry for his friend. Imagine this being a reason not to go.

We'll need to go back to 2blue to see if this is relevant. 2blue, is your Captain's best friend threatening not to go if scores have to be submitted?
It’s a hypothetical scenario.
But it highlights the two camps in GP world.

But having a choice is never a bad thing.
Forcing people to do something they don’t want to do is not good.