Should I have to?

• YES

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • NO

Votes: 49 74.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 35577

You've put a ridiculous condition is to indicate why it shouldn't be a qualifying competition. I've pointed out it is not a problem, the Captain can simply ask. Just like a social player could ask, if they were planning in submitting a GP score (which everyone has already indicated they'd be happy with, even if it is an individual choice).
Nothing ridiculous at all. The handicap police are insisting people do things by the book, I'm simply asking how often they follow the rules to the letter.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At ours, there is always a Course Condition update that goes out on Club V1, just after 7. It will also tell you if course is set up for handicapping.

As others said, the Club can switch off the ability for members to submit scores at all anyway
Ours is definitely not set up atm.
Played 9 holes yesterday and forward tees are.

1 st 47yds
2 nd 32 yds
3 rd 27 yds
4 th 22 yds and temp 30yds short of green
5th 127 yds tee blocks on fairway.

Given all these forward tees there is nothing to say it’s no GP cards.
So it might be if you try to input one.

Swango1980

Visit site

1 st 47yds
2 nd 32 yds
3 rd 27 yds

Something you need to ask your club. I've no idea how they control it

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s a hypothetical scenario.
But it highlights the two camps in GP world.

But having a choice is never a bad thing.
Forcing people to do something they don’t want to do is not good.
If choice is a good thing, I'll suggest our club give members a choice in all club competitions to enter their score. That way, we'll dial up the fun and should get a huge amount of extra participants :)

D

Deleted member 15344

1 st 47yds
2 nd 32 yds
3 rd 27 yds

To combat that we have a message on the daily course status update to tell the members if the course is at qualifying standard

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, his best friend has never put a social score in. As a result, he decides not to attend this event, simply because his score will go into the system.

To be honest, I feel sorry for his friend. Imagine this being a reason not to go.

We'll need to go back to 2blue to see if this is relevant. 2blue, is your Captain's best friend threatening not to go if scores have to be submitted?
No, it was our Comp & Match Sec who didn't want to submit so I had to refund his deposit. It was also him & the Ladies C & M Sec who pulled out of the annual Past Captains Trophy when they asked the County for clarification as to whether it should be Q or not & didn't like what they heard back.
Both now moved on from those roles & the man to another Club altogether.
So I'm not really that surprised with the lack of knowledge or in some cases, probably just bloody-mindedness, being displayed on here.
So at 6.45pm on the 28th Feb with votes showing as YES 15 NO 45 it is perhaps time for folks to review their previous vote now they should be in no doubt of the requirements & perhaps LP to contact his Couny re his Clubs Captain's Away Day or maybe my earlier disclosure here may have scared him off that line. :oops: Aye.... I'm afraid the truth can be very painful. :unsure:

Tractor Wheal

Visit site
I disagree, to me it is still a bunch of mates having a day out. One person does not decide it's a competition, a Comps committee make that decision. And I'm not convinced that a member of one club can organise a competition at a different club? But I'm sure someone on here will tell me otherwise.
To organise a Competition in the sense I think you mean you need to be an Authority, County, Club etc or have "Approved Tournament Status".
That way all those cards will be flagged "Competition".

Some of the above may allow "anyone" to use their facility. 😎

Don't forget to use 95%. It's mandatory in GB&I so all the advocates will be complying. 🤣

For 2024 it will be best to stipulate if machine precision is being used to calculate the 95%, If you are using the the eg. Clubs facility it should.

...and use Divisions. Big Dave off 20 can't win the main prize just Division 3. It's to do with equity I'm told. 🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

No, it was our Comp & Match Sec who didn't want to submit so I had to refund his deposit. It was also him & the Ladies C & M Sec who pulled out of the annual Past Captains Trophy when they asked the County for clarification as to whether it should be Q or not & didn't like what they heard back.
So I'm not really that surprised with the lack of knowledge or in some cases, probably just bloody-mindedness, being displayed on here.
So at 6.45pm on the 28th Feb with votes showing as YES 15 NO 45 it is perhaps time for folks to review their previous vote now they should be in no doubt of the requirements & perhaps LP to contact his Couny re his Clubs Captain's Away Day or maybe my earlier disclosure here may have scared him off that line. :oops: Aye.... I'm afraid the truth can be very painful. :unsure:

Scared of what 🤷‍♂️ you haven’t disclosed anything that people didn’t know - well apart from calling people cheats

I suspect no one will change their view on how they feel an away day shall be run , and I don’t need the county to tell me how i or indeed anyone feels about how they want to run their away day or society days or charity days.

People are fully aware of the handicap rules and I suspect most of the people on here don’t have the handicap police going to their away days.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm reviewing nothing and not changing my vote.
"Should I have to?" was the question in the poll. No, I don't believe I should be forced to.
If the question had been, "Should I?" then my answer might have been different. I say might because if it's a course I've never played before, I invariably score worse due to lack of course knowledge, so why would I risk my handicap going up from one round and gaining a shot where I don't feel I warrant one?
And if that makes me a handicap cheat, then I'll get the badge made up!

D

Deleted member 35577

I agree with you 100%.

Now people have heard both sides of the argument the votes should be recounted. My guess is it will now be YES 3 NO 57 🤣🤣🤣

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm reviewing nothing and not changing my vote.
"Should I have to?" was the question in the poll. No, I don't believe I should be forced to.
If the question had been, "Should I?" then my answer might have been different. I say might because if it's a course I've never played before, I invariably score worse due to lack of course knowledge, so why would I risk my handicap going up from one round and gaining a shot where I don't feel I warrant one?
And if that makes me a handicap cheat, then I'll get the badge made up!
That's not necessarily so & in any case if you play on other courses a fair bit surely you'll want elements of that making up your HI..... plus playing in wind & rain. So quite hard to judge your 'correct' HI unless of you dont put in the cards you should

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
That's not necessarily so & in any case if you play on other courses a fair bit surely you'll want elements of that making up your HI..... plus playing in wind & rain. So quite hard to judge your 'correct' HI unless of you dont put in the cards you should
I was waiting for this reply.
I don't believe it is hard to judge my correct handicap based on the golf I play and the course(s) I play at.
In all likelihood, if the Captain said all cards in and we're playing to rules of golf, and not putting a card in meant not going, I'd put a card in and attend.
Unless of course he's playing it in the next week, in which case, a good few golf courses shouldn't even be open now they're so wet and why would I want to put a card in when the other day I was off the fairway 6 times and had 5 mudballs. No way are the current conditions appropriate or realistic for submitting a card.
Again, if that makes me a handicap cheat, I'll print the badge and wear it with pride.
By all means tell me I'm wrong and try to convince me otherwise, but you will not I'm afraid. Ever.
And finally, because I'm unwatching this again, I notice you ignored my first point which was the wording in the poll. Amd the only reason I said that was because you suggested another voting round, which seems rather undemocratic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The problem is in the wording...Governing bodies are very fond of the word SHOULD.
Should can be used to show obligation, give recommendation or even an opinion...
If they want cards to be put in whenever course set up allows then simply use the word MUST.....
Clears everything up, no wiggle room, no argument.
Use SHOULD and its open to interpretation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If choice is a good thing, I'll suggest our club give members a choice in all club competitions to enter their score. That way, we'll dial up the fun and should get a huge amount of extra participants :)
Comps at your own club are qualifiers it’s why you join a club.
On a away day it’s debatable but just give them the choice.

Seems this WHS lark is very rigid and no choice to a player not wanting to put a card in .

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I was waiting for this reply.
I don't believe it is hard to judge my correct handicap based on the golf I play and the course(s) I play at.
In all likelihood, if the Captain said all cards in and we're playing to rules of golf, and not putting a card in meant not going, I'd put a card in and attend.
Unless of course he's playing it in the next week, in which case, a good few golf courses shouldn't even be open now they're so wet and why would I want to put a card in when the other day I was off the fairway 6 times and had 5 mudballs. No way are the current conditions appropriate or realistic for submitting a card.
Again, if that makes me a handicap cheat, I'll print the badge and wear it with pride.
By all means tell me I'm wrong and try to convince me otherwise, but you will not I'm afraid. Ever.
And finally, because I'm unwatching this again, I notice you ignored my first point which was the wording in the poll. Amd the only reason I said that was because you suggested another voting round, which seems rather undemocratic.
I am in complete agreement with you. Our current winter course has a par of 68, because of the slope and CR anything greater than a 74 will result in a handicap increased, that is anything worse than 6 over and the HI (currently 8.3) is going up.

I shot a 78 last week and the differential was 13.1. With quite a few of my counting scores just waiting to be knocked out, it wouldn't take too many rounds for a significant change to occur. A winter of cards on that course, which is in the same condition as most parkland course, would see me with 20 reasonable scores but 20 very high, abnormal, differentials.

For what? To what end? To satisfy the whims of the handicap zealots. I am firmly of the belief that there is a competition season, and it starts when the club lay out the full course with the yellow and white tees (and finally cut the fairways), at which point I will start submitting both general play and competition cards.

wjemather

Visit site
The problem is in the wording...Governing bodies are very fond of the word SHOULD.
Should can be used to show obligation, give recommendation or even an opinion...
If they want cards to be put in whenever course set up allows then simply use the word MUST.....
Clears everything up, no wiggle room, no argument.
Use SHOULD and its open to interpretation.
The word "should" does get used quite a lot, but not in relation to this:

Rule clarifications 2.1a/2: "Rule 1.3(i) states that a player is expected to “submit all acceptable scores to provide reasonable evidence of their demonstrated ability”. Subject to other provisions set out within the Rules of Handicapping, an acceptable score from an authorized format of play must be submitted for handicap purposes, even if it was from a competition organized by an entity that is not affiliated to the Authorized Association, for example a Society or League. When such scores are not submitted automatically by the entity organizing the competition, the player is required to submit the score using the procedures setout by the Authorized Association. Where a player fails to submit an acceptable score or fails to comply with the procedures set out by the Authorized Association, the Handicap Committee should act in accordance with Rule 7.1b."

Guidance 2.1a (1): "WHS requires that rounds in ‘organized competitions’ in an acceptable format are considered to have been pre-registered... Players have a responsibility to ensure that their scores from such events are returned..."

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The word "should" does get used quite a lot, but not in relation to this:

Rule clarifications 2.1a/2: "Rule 1.3(i) states that a player is expected to “submit all acceptable scores to provide reasonable evidence of their demonstrated ability”.
This is an interesting line which seems to encourage not submitting cards that would not provide reasonable evidence of one's demonstrated ability. So if one is starting out without the intention of playing to one's ability, then you should not submit a card. Murkier and murkier. Maybe we are correct to not be submitting GP cards in the main ? It is a better option than the American model I think.