Strangest Thing To Happen On A Golf Course

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Years ago at Brent Valley GC, we saw a group head of us tee off and kill a Seagul. His ball hit the bird head on, both ball & bird dropped right out the sky. Madness.
I was told of a player who thinned his drive which hit and killed a rabbit. In the bar afterwords he boasted "you can keep your birdies and eagles , I'm going home to eat my rabbit". true maybe.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Golf course in Ayrshire- lovely summers day. Maw Paw and the weans having a picnic in one of the fairway bunkers.....unbelievable!

we said something and both Paw and Maw kicked off with the foulest language and threats.............poor kids, they dont stand a chance with parents like that!:angry:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf course in Ayrshire- lovely summers day. Maw Paw and the weans having a picnic in one of the fairway bunkers.....unbelievable!

we said something and both Paw and Maw kicked off with the foulest language and threats.............poor kids, they dont stand a chance with parents like that!:angry:
We had kids with a small plastic dinghy in the pond at our 3rd hole , we had to call the police to move them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When the Curtis cup was on, one of the GB back up staff was out making notes and caught a middle aged visitor getting a blowie from his wife next to the ice house by the 10th tee, its now known as gobblers gulch.

I young lady naked and pished running around on the 3rd green shouting how shed just been shagged on that green.

And yes she had a great body;)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once playing the 8th at Dewsbury & District, uphill blind par 4 with the tee box way below the fairway. Absolutely creamed a 3 iron only for it to hit the marker post 150 yards away at the top of the hill and roll back down the hill coming to a stop about 2 yards from where it started.

I did similar at Horsforth recently. Drove off the 10th onto the fairway to leave maybe 120 to the hole. Small stone bridge to left about 80 yards infront, sliced my shot left, hit the bridge and came back to about 2 foot left of where I am standing!! My mate was on the floor, he couldn't play his shot for about 5 minutes.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I once saw a 2 ball who had no idea of the layout of the holes on the course so they just played to the greens they could see. Some of their holes will have only been 60 yards long and one hole meant they had to hit it around a netting to the right of the green. Odd. Very odd.

During a round my FC and I played our tee shots to the middle of the par 3 green. We both just missed our birdie putts, which we were initially disappointed about. When we got to the hole we found it was packed full of excrement. I'm going to have to assume it was human poo, as how would a dog remove and replace the flag.

In Spain, the group behind us were smashing balls directly at us whilst we were in range. They caught up with us on the 8th and said that was the ruling when the group in front is playing slowly. Idiots. The course was rammed and everyone was backed up so there was nowhere to go. We let them through.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nearly being hit by a ball - when I asked the bloke why he didn't yell "Fore", he replied "Because it wasn't going on my fairway".

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I once saw a 2 ball who had no idea of the layout of the holes on the course so they just played to the greens they could see. Some of their holes will have only been 60 yards long and one hole meant they had to hit it around a netting to the right of the green. Odd. Very odd.

That reminds me. Last year we went off behind an incredibly slow fourball of visitors & waited every shot on the first 3 holes without any indication that they would ever let us through. While we were preparing to play our shots to the third green we saw them walk over to the 17th tee, adjacent to the 4th, and proceed to tee off. Perhaps we should have said something, but I'm sure they would have found out when they played another two holes & found themselves back at the clubhouse. We got round in 3½ hours after that.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few more from my younger days, was once playing with my Dad at Willow Valley, both hit decent drives up the 10th Fairway which is a long uphill par 5 with a fairly big lake (probably about 40*40 yards) in the middle of the fairway at about 280 yards. Both probably 40 yards short of the lake, Dad to play first. He blades his 3 wood but manages to skim it accross the lake taking about 4 'skims', ducks/geese flying everywhere scarpering for their lives. Cue us both rolling about laughing. I then step up to my ball and just as the water has stopped rippling and the birds have settled down I do exactly the same, with even more laughter to follow. One of those where you couldn't do it if you tried. Both shots probably went at least 160 yards in total.

Also saw my Dad hit the worst hole in one of all time. It was on a local pitch and putt, 90 yardish par 3, 2 bunkers front left and front right of the green, fairway sloping right to left. Absolutely skulled a wedge, complete barnes wallace job that never got more than 2 foot off the floor. Shoots all the way into the front right bunker but because its raining it flies through the sand, runs up the face of the bunker, goes about 20 foot in the air, lands on the downslope at the back of the bunker and hops in. On the same hole about 12 years later my brother nuked his wedge about 50 yards over the green and onto the driving range roof and after pinging back, rattling round the car park while missing a load of cars it ended up on the green.

On a more sour note I once saw some poor sod get hit whilst a junior at Dewsbury. The 17th medal tee is in a totally different place to the normal tees which rather stupidly meant the 'tiger' line was right over the 16th tee which was about 100 yards downhill away. Some bloke on the 17th snap hooked his driver and the ball hit the poor sod on the 16th tee right on the top of the arm. Never heard a man scream so loudly before or since. Saw him in the clubhouse afterwards waiting to be picked up to head off to hospital, his whole outer arm area from elbow to shoulder had turned black from bruising.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Yup - that was the reaction I would get when I pointed such things out. Not by stating that they should get their ar**s out of there and off the course - but that by their very positioning they were putting themselves and their children at risk of getting hit by golf balls travelling at speed - and that as golf balls are hard that that would be dangerous and injurious. Nope - didn't go down well.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once playing the 8th at Dewsbury & District, uphill blind par 4 with the tee box way below the fairway. Absolutely creamed a 3 iron only for it to hit the marker post 150 yards away at the top of the hill and roll back down the hill coming to a stop about 2 yards from where it started.

My dad used to be a member there, and one time whilst playing with him I drove that green from the tee. However, it was winter and the ground was frozen solid:)

(I love that course but don't get to play it now).

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn't there but I have seen the photographic evidence so it is true.

Earlier this year a mate of mine teed off on the second hole with his driver. He pushed his shot straight into a fir tree that is about 50 feet from the tee. After much rattling the ball fell out closely followed by a dead wood pigeon:(

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the Tee on Par 4, 13th I had wait while a smartly suited man with briefcase in left hand and mobile clamped to his ear with right hand walked the length of the fairway. He did not acknowledge my existence in anyway and continued (loudly) with his conversation and his stroll !!

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Walking towards the green on a course in Spain, we heard a noise coming from the bushes like gas escaping under ever increasing pressure, then suddenly, one of the bushes burst into flame and was completely consumed in just a few minutes. I always thought that was probably how the Biblical burning bush came about.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was told of a player who thinned his drive which hit and killed a rabbit. In the bar afterwords he boasted "you can keep your birdies and eagles , I'm going home to eat my rabbit". true maybe.

Our lowest hcp lady member felled a canada goose on the course.
Rumour has it, she took it home to cook but it was awful!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not amazing but my pp parked his trolley infront of the pond on our 5th. When he took his club out he caught the go button. Cue him lunging after it as it ran into said pond. I tried to help but it was really hard as I was rolling around in the floor laughing!! He did see the funny side shortly after!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a burning car left on the 4th tee. Whoever left it did well to drive it out there. There is a big tree at the back of the tee that still has signs of burning. Fortunately it survived and is still growing.

I seem to remember someone drove their car into a huge bunker. Think it might have been at Royal North Devon. I think the occupants of the car were looking for somewhere quiet for a bit of how's your father.:whistle:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a mass arguement with HIDs night before comp, she turned up unannounced to watch me play as I said night before she didn't take interest in my golf, so I was chuffed that she made the effort and so I tee'd off on the first, It was then I was aware that she had no clue where to stand or go, so I pointed her in the right direction and all was going smoothly on a nice sunny day.......... Until the 3rd hole, smacked a drive down the centre of the fairway and whilst walking down it, I noticed this blurry figure come running from behind me did a skip with her arms in the air a proceeded to do a cartwheel............

WTF ARE YOU DOING.? I shouted

Welllll the grass looked so nice I wanted to do a cartwheel.......Why?

needless to say she hasn't stepped on a course with me since.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
After a mass arguement with HIDs night before comp, she turned up unannounced to watch me play as I said night before she didn't take interest in my golf, so I was chuffed that she made the effort and so I tee'd off on the first, It was then I was aware that she had no clue where to stand or go, so I pointed her in the right direction and all was going smoothly on a nice sunny day.......... Until the 3rd hole, smacked a drive down the centre of the fairway and whilst walking down it, I noticed this blurry figure come running from behind me did a skip with her arms in the air a proceeded to do a cartwheel............

WTF ARE YOU DOING.? I shouted

Welllll the grass looked so nice I wanted to do a cartwheel.......Why?

needless to say she hasn't stepped on a course with me since.

Lol. Excellent. Serves you right though. Never ask HID to take interest in your hobbies.