What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you on a golf course?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit my drive into a small area of trees and had a fair way to go to the green. Pulled out my 4 wood and had a good area to swing in, so was confident of getting it close to the green. All I had to do was make sure the ball went to the left of a small tree just about 5 meters in front of me...what thought goes through my head on my backswing? Yep, 'Hope I don't hit that tree'...sure enough caught it dead centre and the ball shot back and hit me in the upper thigh! Dropped to the ground like a sack of smelly stuff...my PP's started coming towards me being slightly concerned, but then they felt relieved when they heard me giggling. It was actually a mixture of pain and how bloody stupid I felt.

Bruise lasted about a month...and we lost that hole!

CK
Almost identical to yours...

Was in the trees, decent enough gap to get out, with room for full swing. But like you, got the line wrong. Lets just say the rebound hit me near the upper thigh - but rather more centrally... Eventually carried on, but didnt stop feeling rather sick/queasy for the rest of the round. Have been rather more cautious playing out of trees ever since.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not to me but one of my playing group of 3. But still by far the worst thing I've witnessed.

17th tee Russ hits OoB. As Andy tees up Russ goes forward to get another ball and stands behind a little bit of hedge - leafy but sparse and only 18" deep - maybe 6-8 places forward and a couple to the left of Andy's teed ball. Russ feels he's safe as he's 'protected' by the piece of hedge.

Andy blasts his tee shot and smothers it straight low left and through the hedge at head height. Russ comes round end of hedge blinking - we think wow that must have been close! It wasn't - it hit him full pelt 'unslowed' by the hedge - on the back on the head - fortunately the hardest part of the back of the skull. He collapsed - not quite knocked out but near enough as makes no difference as couldn't stand. And huge lump swelling up straight away. We got help out on the course and he was taken back to clubhouse and then to hospital.

If his head had been turned any way other than as it was - doesn't bear thinking about. Really shook me.

Hedge has now been mostly removed so nothing to stand behind with false sense of security.

Me? One under gross with 2 to go and bogeyed them both :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Having to physically separate two 60+ y/o men in a fist fight on the 18th after an argument about etiquette boiled over.
Please tell me it was the 18th on the Old by the R&A :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing Silvermere I oiked one way right on a hole on the back nine (may have been 13) and saw it perched on what looked like dried mud. Wandered through deep grass and branches, got there, and hit the shot vaguely towards the fairway when this "dry mud" gave way and I went into some very wet and smelly mud underneath. Needed my PP's to help me out and just managed to keep my shoe on. Stunk all the way round and got some funny looks in the bar ok

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was @Karl102 that let the course know by giving the biggest screech known to man as he dropped to the ground.

Thank god we didnt have a death on a forum meet that day eh @Vikingman :eek:

That was the day, 7th hole at Leasowe, 20th Dec 2015.

Got up , hit a seven iron to 15 ft but three putted.

Parred the 8th but realised something wasn't right walking down the 9th.

Drove home, took my leggings off and found out I'd pee'd myself.

Ended up having a scan on 29th Dec and finding out I'd had a heart attack (on 2nd Dec)

Blacked out again at home on 30th Dec and got took to hospital.

Had stents fitted on 4th Jan 2016.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it was @Karl102 that let the course know by giving the biggest screech known to man as he dropped to the ground.

Thank god we didnt have a death on a forum meet that day eh @Vikingman :eek:
Yep... Me and @Davemc at Leesowe
@Vikingman collapsed backwards with his carry on his back...
Can't belive it was that long ago!

Last edited:

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Playing in the club champs at my old club, on the harder of the two courses. Stood on the 14th tee box 8 under my handicap. The hole has OOB's on both sides of the fairway, carved one into the woods, pulled the second onto the 8th, carved another three into the woods. Finished with a 14 and then 1 over my handicap :p

Finished up 3 under my handicap in the morning and blow up spectacularly in the afternoon on the easier course.

D

Deleted member 17920

That was the day, 7th hole at Leasowe, 20th Dec 2015.

Got up , hit a seven iron to 15 ft but three putted.

Parred the 8th but realised something wasn't right walking down the 9th.

Drove home, took my leggings off and found out I'd pee'd myself.

Ended up having a scan on 29th Dec and finding out I'd had a heart attack (on 2nd Dec)

Blacked out again at home on 30th Dec and got took to hospital.

Had stents fitted on 4th Jan 2016.
It’s a bloody good job you went at got checked over.