Strangest Thing To Happen On A Golf Course

D

Deleted member 15344

Replace ball in original spot, no penalty

Also had birds pecking at my balls a few times and then doing a runner with them

What with the resort courses round here I've seen the helicopter thing a few times too as they bring folks in
Last year saw a troop of monkeys sitting in the fairway bunker on 18th (crab hunting apparently)
Seen a sky'd 3w drive scoot off into the air only for the strongest wind I've played in to send it right back to land behind the player by 20 yards

Seen that happen down the falklands as well - you can throw a wedge right up in the air and it can go back over your head the winds down there get so strong

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Course called Airco in Clearwater Beach that is no longer there but was next to an airport. If you timed it right, you could play a shot down a par 3 just as the jet engines kicked in from the runway behind the hole and get a extra 40 yards. All the locals used to do it for fun.

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
I was playing on Gullane no.1 and we were on one of the tees nearest the beach. My playing partner had his ball on the tee and was taking his address when a West Highland terrier came running up onto the tee from the beach.

We watched as the dog scampered right up to his ball and lifted it gently from the tee before running away back down to the beach never to be seen again.

G

guest100718

Had a balloon land on the 2nd fairway Panshanger, got told to watch out for someone with a gun at Stockwood also to skip 16 as the Gypsies had park up ont the fairway......ah the good old days

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A seagull pushing a ball around with its beak on an adjacent green last summer. As the players approached it flew off with the ball in its beak..

What's the rule?????

As long as it had come to rest before the bird started pushing it around, then replace/substitute it where it came to rest.

If it hadn't come to rest, then play it from where it ends up.

Here's a famous example - that had come to rest before the 'new hazard' got involved! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsVy6c8QGAw

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There was an immovable obstruction on the 5th hole at Musselburgh Old Course once - a VW Combi Van - sans wheels (and probably a lot more)!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A helicopter landing on the 5th fairway at Son Vida gc Majorca ,while we were waiting to tee off.
Another time at Greenburn gc, 2 balls collided in mid air , at a cross over hole.
Me getting a eagle net albatros at our 7th hole.

A helicopter for me as well. It was only last summer and an army Merlin chopper had a hydraulic leak in the tail section and needed to land asap. From where we were it looked as though it landed on the third fairway but as there were quite a few players out on the course it had to land on a nearby field.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And another helicopter story, we were playing Finca Cortesin and a fire fighting helicopter kept dropping down and scooping water out of one of the lakes to help fight a nearby fire.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Plenty of balloons landing. Also at previous club a car chase - car tears into club car park then through a hedge onto putting green and then up the first hole and off across the course - followed closely by a police car. Crashed through boundary fence other side and away.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Once playing the 8th at Dewsbury & District, uphill blind par 4 with the tee box way below the fairway. Absolutely creamed a 3 iron only for it to hit the marker post 150 yards away at the top of the hill and roll back down the hill coming to a stop about 2 yards from where it started.

DCB

Visit site
Way back in the distant sands of time, when the small ball was still king, we had a plane crash to contend with.

For those who know Silverknowes Golf Course in Edinburgh, it happened over the lower reaches of the course. In those days the 4th, 5th & 6th took you down the side of the road to the esplanade by the shore. An RAF Chipmunk trainer plane came over the course and although losing height and obviously in some serious difficulty, managed to avoid pancaking on the course and landed in the field across the road from the 6th (now 3rd) tee. The instructor must have been a golfer Bet the trainee needed a clean set of underwear though

Needless to say, golf came to a standstill. Later that evening we went down to see the plane in the field. Since it was an RAF plane, there was an armed guard there until recovery took place the following day. A Wessex helicopter was used to remove the downed trainer.

All exciting stuff :)

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago at Brent Valley GC, we saw a group head of us tee off and kill a Seagul. His ball hit the bird head on, both ball & bird dropped right out the sky. Madness.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Years ago at Brent Valley GC, we saw a group head of us tee off and kill a Seagul. His ball hit the bird head on, both ball & bird dropped right out the sky. Madness.

[video=youtube;44-D-zJvw1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-D-zJvw1c[/video]

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At previous club - family having a picnic in the strip of rough between the 1st and 18th holes. Folk taking part in various leisure pursuits on course was a constant problem - example being inflatable boats etc on the largest pond on nice warm summer days.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once playing the 8th at Dewsbury & District, uphill blind par 4 with the tee box way below the fairway. Absolutely creamed a 3 iron only for it to hit the marker post 150 yards away at the top of the hill and roll back down the hill coming to a stop about 2 yards from where it started.
Played that hole once with two old members. typical Yorkshiremen. We were stood on the tee and one says
"do you know, Peter Alliss designed this hole?"
His mate replied "Yeah. They should make him play it every week like we have to."

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played that hole once with two old members. typical Yorkshiremen. We were stood on the tee and one says
"do you know, Peter Alliss designed this hole?"
His mate replied "Yeah. They should make him play it every week like we have to."

I was a junior member there and to be fair they had a point. Absolutely garbage hole, as was the 7th before it. Shame, they spoilt what is an otherwise decent (if hilly!) course.

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
I hit two different overhead power lines in one round of golf once. It was at Estepona in Spain back in 1991. Only ever done it once since, and never seen anybody else do it ever.

I did this three shots in a row at Kirkby Lonsdale. My actual shot went in the stream.