how important is a view to you on a golf course?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Luckily the courses I play just now pretty much all have stunning views and I do think it makes the golfing experience better to play shots with that kind of background/frame for your shots (compared to the muni in Fife I regularly played, it is miles better with a view)

There's a couple of Tour standard venues, one in Asia (KL I think) that has what looks like residential high-rise around it that looks a bit naff. And isn't there one in New York with a dockyard in the background, again not adding anything to the experience and actually detracting from it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If that was aimed at me then that is wrong! Stunning location for a golf course.
nope not you.. i think there was a tread a while ago also about views, there were a couple of comments on that, that there were no views to speak of at Nairn, which is amusing to say the least;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
maybe its where i live, i only have to walk a couple of hundred yards up the road to be able to see Loch Ness and the hills surrounding it and Ben Wyvis the other direction. but for me a view means nothing.
people rave about Pitlochry and Stathpeffer golf courses for the views.... great views, but IMO sheer hite courses;)

I'd suggest a "sheer hite" course is sheer hite regardless of whether there are views to enjoy. But a good course is enhanced by good views. I can't believe the OP would enjoy Nairn as much as he does, if it were surrounded by a 20ft high closed mesh fence? After all, Nairn has stunning views across the firth - surely they can't be discounted?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd suggest a "sheer hite" course is sheer hite regardless of whether there are views to enjoy. But a good course is enhanced by good views. I can't believe the OP would enjoy Nairn as much as he does, if it were surrounded by a 20ft high closed mesh fence? After all, Nairn has stunning views across the firth - surely they can't be discounted?

I go there to play golf, not look at the Moray firth,The Black Isles or the 7 sisters in the background.

as ive mentioned in the other treads, I can look at those for free, they make little to no difference to me, its all about the course TBH

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In fact i would say a view makes no difference to me what so ever,
I'd say the same. But then you get great courses like Boat of Garten and Cruden Bay that *also* have spectacular views that add to the experience.

So I'd say not at all important, but, it *can* add enormously to how you view a course.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I go there to play golf, not look at the Moray firth,The Black Isles or the 7 sisters in the background.

as ive mentioned in the other treads, I can look at those for free, they make little to no difference to me, its all about the course TBH
Aha. Complacency. You're used to the spectacular day in day out, I understand where you're coming from.

It was only when I moved to the guffy midlands that I truly understood the beauty that surrounds us day in day out. There, you have no horizon, no topography, it's just flatness all around, I now appreciate how lucky we are in Scotland

For me I don't get the links hate that inspired this thread, I love the sea, I love looking at the sea, I could sit on a beach all day just looking out to sea at the traffic, so when you have a tee perched on the edge of a dune with the beach below you like at the 2nd at Montrose, or 13th at Cruden Bay, it's just a fabulous place to be.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The view is just one part of the ambience - a good view won't help a poorly laid out or maintained course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Views matter to me. It doesn't need to be miles into the distance, it could be confined within the boundaries of the course itself. However, an attractive course and view add to the experience of the round. An ugly course or surroundings definitely detract from the enjoyment for me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The course layout and enjoyment of playing that is important but if you can tie that in with good views it is a bonus. I know at our course, it's great to play but there are times when it's just great to stand and look at the views. One compliments the other.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think a great view matters as much as not having an eyesore next door.

If there’s some scabby derelict buildings or an ugly factory then it’s not going to enhance the experience.

But ultimately would rather play a course I enjoy rather than one I didn’t that had great views.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a great view of the isle of white/Portsmouth/Solent at our course I look forward to seeing in my regular Saturday round

It’s part of the ambience and I enjoy our part of the Uk

I always take in in views on other courses

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course itself is the view for me. A nice backdrop is certainly a bonus, but it's funny people say they don't think Carnoustie has great views. When I stood on the 3rd tee (you get a decent look at a fair bit of the track from there) and saw the perfect rolling fairways, gigantic greens, rivetted hellish bunkers and snarling rough all around me I thought it was beautiful.