how important is a view to you on a golf course?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Locally in Perthshire, views from Gleneagles, Murrayshall etc are superb and a bonus, but courses like Blairgowrie which is tree lined have no view at all. Does that detract from the course? I don't think so. Similar with links courses. Trump's course at Balmedie has hardly any views apart from a couple of farms which Trump considers an eyesore, but it is still one of the best courses I've played.

Do you think the trees at Blairgowrie are ugly?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For sure great views don't make up for a poor course.

There are several courses I have played which come into the category of "nice view, shame about the course!"

There is always the chance to appreciate the views and quite rightly you should do so.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So views out over the sea encompassing the Isle of Arran, Ailsa Craig, the Cumbrae's, Bute and the Ayrshire Coast are not much to look at? On good days the distant Kintyre coast and out past that to Antrim!

I must be imagining the beauty in all that.

other way isn't what you would call scenic though;) but still one of my Fav courses.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite a few comments on the links tread about views and how many judge a course by its view or lack of it, esp Links courses.

personally i would always go for course condition, design. In fact i would say a view makes no difference to me what so ever, 3 of my fave courses have precisely no view at all, Western Gailes, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

so would no view spoil your enjoyment of a course?

I think that course design, condition and holes that "look good to the eye" are keys to an enjoyable round of golf.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For me, the view is probably 4th on my list in regards to importance.

Company always counts most. As luck would have it, I’ve alswys had decent company on the better course I’ve played, but I’ve played some truly honking courses and loved everyone minute when having a good time.

Company,
Prestige,
Condition
View.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If you're in them, yes. Especially the tree on the right hand side of the second fairway on Lansdowne!

Lol.

But genuinely, is that not a case of you like Patrick now taking your course for granted. For someone like me who comes to Blairgowrie I think strolling through the trees is beautiful.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really. My interpretation of a view is the vista of the surrounding countryside/seaside beyond the course boundary. Courses like Blairgowrie are truly magnificent particularly at this time of the year as we approach autumn and the myriad of changing colours.