how important is a view to you on a golf course?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
is that a top 100 course?

anyway saying you like to see castles while playing golf, is only limiting you to a small number of courses

78 according to the Top 100 UK website...I am not a huge fan of it in general, just responded to a question about Courses by Castles...

And, in line with the discussion, does the view of the Steelworks at Machynys impact the general perception of the front 9? :)

D

Deleted member 1147

I think a nice view adds to a courses appeal, but certainly isn't all important.
I'm lucky in that my course is in the grounds of a National Trust Park, so we have views of kedleston Hall and it's surroundings (and unlike many courses we don't look over any housing estates).
But I'm not a member at kedleston because of the views, I'm there because of it being the best course in the area.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
78 according to the Top 100 UK website...I am not a huge fan of it in general, just responded to a question about Courses by Castles...

And, in line with the discussion, does the view of the Steelworks at Machynys impact the general perception of the front 9? :)
don't know the course , but my fav course western gailes has some sort of factory, a railway line and a crap looking concrete bridge as its view land side

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not the be all and end all... but I like a nice view, me.

So if a course comes with a gorgeous one built-in as part of the package then I'm all for it. As was mentioned earlier back on page one by Khamelion, I don't think I'd ever get tired of playing Crans sur Sierre expect perhaps when it's under 15 feet of snow, but then there'd probably be preferred lies... although yellow balls? Hmmm.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agreed - no castle, no top 100 rating for me.

15 is one of the great golf holes, most of the rest isnt very memorable for me.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not the be all and end all... but I like a nice view, me.

So if a course comes with a gorgeous one built-in as part of the package then I'm all for it. As was mentioned earlier back on page one by Khamelion, I don't think I'd ever get tired of playing Crans sur Sierre expect perhaps when it's under 15 feet of snow, but then there'd probably be preferred lies... although yellow balls? Hmmm.
The fairways become the nursery slopes , didn't use them but did learn to ski at Crans Montanna :)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aha. Complacency. You're used to the spectacular day in day out, I understand where you're coming from.

It was only when I moved to the guffy midlands that I truly understood the beauty that surrounds us day in day out. There, you have no horizon, no topography, it's just flatness all around, I now appreciate how lucky we are in Scotland
For me I don't get the links hate that inspired this thread, I love the sea, I love looking at the sea, I could sit on a beach all day just looking out to sea at the traffic, so when you have a tee perched on the edge of a dune with the beach below you like at the 2nd at Montrose, or 13th at Cruden Bay, it's just a fabulous place to be.

With you here.

I love being near the sea. Something primal i guess, but not sure why

Combine that with a golf course and I'm like a pig in .....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A view is not as important as the course itself, but a nice view is an added bonus. Imagine playing Crans Sur Sierre

Watching some of those views last week was just stunning. The green fees don't look too bad either, maybe a trip coming on.

For me, I think a view adds to the experience. There are obviously many good courses that don't have them, but I'd be lying if I said a view doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be a spectacular vista of mountains or sea, one of my favourite views, is on Belle Dune, all you can see is the green down surrounded by high sand dunes. When we played Turnberry, it was sunny (although bloody cold and windy) but the views out over the sea with snow capped mountains in the distance, and Ailsa Craig were exceptional and definitely added to the experience.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Love a location and a view. It's a huge part of the experience for me. Didn't enjoy Carnoustie as much as I liked Trump or Western Gailes for example. Not dismissing Carnoustie as a course but not as enjoyable for me as others.

Patrick, I think you may be that accustomed to the stunning location and views of Nairn that you take it for granted.
Western gailes lol not really much in the way of views there a couple of reasonably sized dunes which surround a par 3 but other than that it's not got many views except the sea which in this part of the world is never really much to look at. Anyway personally I play golf to play golf course layout and condition is 99% it for me a good view is just a little bonus but if you see the same good view 10000 times you don't even notice it so doesn't really do anything for me, I can always go out for a good walk or cycle if I want a nice view.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Western gailes lol not really much in the way of views there a couple of reasonably sized dunes which surround a par 3 but other than that it's not got many views except the sea which in this part of the world is never really much to look at. Anyway personally I play golf to play golf course layout and condition is 99% it for me a good view is just a little bonus but if you see the same good view 10000 times you don't even notice it so doesn't really do anything for me, I can always go out for a good walk or cycle if I want a nice view.

So views out over the sea encompassing the Isle of Arran, Ailsa Craig, the Cumbrae's, Bute and the Ayrshire Coast are not much to look at? On good days the distant Kintyre coast and out past that to Antrim!

I must be imagining the beauty in all that.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Locally in Perthshire, views from Gleneagles, Murrayshall etc are superb and a bonus, but courses like Blairgowrie which is tree lined have no view at all. Does that detract from the course? I don't think so. Similar with links courses. Trump's course at Balmedie has hardly any views apart from a couple of farms which Trump considers an eyesore, but it is still one of the best courses I've played.