How do you assess a golf course? - What makes a good / bad course/ hole?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A course that “had it all” was Thames view.
When I say had it all I mean water, doglegs, burnt out cars, caravans parked on it, dog crap, sewage works next door and there was every chance you’d get in a fight at some stage

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I enjoy most courses, they all have their challenges.
What I don't like however are holes over a crest (blind hole) & stupidly fast / sloppy greens

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of trees.
The general condition of the course...tees, fairway definition, raked bunkers and good greens.
Nice views with lots of trees.
Friendly, welcoming staff.
Driving range close to the first tee.
No 'members only' car parks
EV chargers :whistle:
And lots of trees.
Cheap bar and walkable distance from my house.
Mountains, lakes and forests.
A nice winding road up to the clubhouse, affording sneaky views of the tree-lined fairways.
Outdoor seating area facing west, over the trees.
Easy first and last holes

D

Deleted member 31467

I wouldn't rush to play some of these holes/courses.

Albo

Visit site
Something else to add, that’s not a make or break, but something I tend to view favourably more so in a course I’m a member or one I play regularly, multiple sets of tees or more specifically, multiple different teeing areas, a course from the same tees over and again is not as interesting as one where the tee set up can change the angle or club to be used.
As I say not a big make or break but a positive

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Something else to add, that’s not a make or break, but something I tend to view favourably more so in a course I’m a member or one I play regularly, multiple sets of tees or more specifically, multiple different teeing areas, a course from the same tees over and again is not as interesting as one where the tee set up can change the angle or club to be used.
As I say not a big make or break but a positive

You'd like some of the tees at my home course. Couple of the par 3's have 10 prepared teeing areas for the various sets of markers, and on one it can not only change distance to pin and the left to right angle to pin, but also change the elevation of the tee's for that day

pop-hole15-1.jpg

Albo

Visit site
You'd like some of the tees at my home course. Couple of the par 3's have 10 prepared teeing areas for the various sets of markers, and on one it can not only change distance to pin and the left to right angle to pin, but also change the elevation of the tee's for that day

View attachment 46018
That looks amazing, I love that one day it’s a 9i and the next a 7i or a gap wedge. Then take wind into account and it changes again. Just adds variety on the same course

TigerBear

Visit site
Conditions of greens, fairways, flat tee boxes. Placement of hazards and how the architect has utilised the topography of the local surroundings.

View and scenery is also persuasive as it can make a decent hole breathtaking ... I'm thinking the 8th or 9th at Turnberry KRTB. Basically just a dog leg left into a tight green right on the shore!

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
We have a balcony extending from the lounge that overlooks the 9 and 18 greens and also gives some views of the 1st and 10th tees. Along with the sunshine ( have I mentioned sunshine?) it was a significant factor in choosing which course to join when we moved here.

Played a couple of course 'near Hull' last summer while on holiday over there, some great courses and real value for money to be had, your description sounds like Ganstead Park, one of the ones I played, along with Burstwick and my favourite Hornsea.

NearHull

Visit site
Played a couple of course 'near Hull' last summer while on holiday over there, some great courses and real value for money to be had, your description sounds like Ganstead Park, one of the ones I played, along with Burstwick and my favourite Hornsea.

no, not Ganstead but that is a good course, Burstwick is a little too open to the elements for me and Hornsea has some tough and long par 4s to close the round. If you get the chance to come up again, try Filey it’s a mix of parkland and cliff edge holes with great views. ( Filey is not my course).

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
no, not Ganstead but that is a good course, Burstwick is a little too open to the elements for me and Hornsea has some tough and long par 4s to close the round. If you get the chance to come up again, try Filey it’s a mix of parkland and cliff edge holes with great views. ( Filey is not my course).

Cheers, agree with your comments, I chose those three as they were all in half hour drive of where I stayed, it was a family holiday after all. :)

sunshine

Visit site
Lots of trees.
The general condition of the course...tees, fairway definition, raked bunkers and good greens.
Nice views with lots of trees.
Friendly, welcoming staff.
Driving range close to the first tee.
No 'members only' car parks
EV chargers :whistle:
And lots of trees.
Cheap bar and walkable distance from my house.
Mountains, lakes and forests.
A nice winding road up to the clubhouse, affording sneaky views of the tree-lined fairways.
Outdoor seating area facing west, over the trees.
Easy first and last holes

I take it you don’t think links courses are very good.