What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you on a golf course?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter league , winter is important , 5th hole , ball into river . Ah i can get that . Inched nearer and nearer bank gives way under right foot .just the width of my leg , Leg stuck , not so bad tho only right foot wet .

Try to get out , no way would foot come up , twisted turned ,nope .

Had to step down into river to get leg out, water now nearing the crown jewels .

Soaked . Water freezing . Climbed out and thrudged back to car park i to car and home .. .

Think i heard lads stil laughing as i drove home

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Years ago, I was playing in a betterball knockout competition at Crowborough.
Got to the 6th (par 3) and cocked my tee shot up, putting it down a deep depression to the left of the hole.
I went down with my wedge to knock it up onto the green, my partner and our opponents had walked further on and were standing around the apron out of my view.
I'm sure I shouted loud enough that I was playing my shot, which popped out a treat. I then heard a fairly loud crash.
Turns out my ball had smacked one of our opponents on the base of his neck, and he had gone down like a sack of spuds. Old boy he was too.
I clambered out to find him sitting down by the side of the green being comforted by the other two guys.
I felt terrible and kept apologising, and suggested calling the game off. As our opponents were three up at the time, they declined, with the old boy I'd hit saying he would be okay, despite the fact he looked quite dazed.
We carried on with the game, I kept asking him if he was alright, he kept saying he was.
My partner and I managed to claw our way back into the game, and by about the 12th we were level. The old boy then started complaining about his neck hurting. We ended up winning 3 & 2. But I did feel bad.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please tell me it was the 18th on the Old by the R&A :LOL:

Wish it was! It would have made it a much more entertaining story.

Running a close second though, I don’t think I’ve ever felt as much horror as teeing off 18 on the Old and watching my ball fade off into The Links road, hit a car and bound somewhere into the old Russacks Hotel car park. Ultra cringe!

I did try to see if I’d done any damage but have to admit I was walking pretty rapidly. ?

YandaB

Visit site
Wish it was! It would have made it a much more entertaining story.

Running a close second though, I don’t think I’ve ever felt as much horror as teeing off 18 on the Old and watching my ball fade off into The Links road, hit a car and bound somewhere into the old Russacks Hotel car park. Ultra cringe!

I did try to see if I’d done any damage but have to admit I was walking pretty rapidly. ?
Ooh, that reminds of my trip to the old course last year, post lockdown. Mine was more of a power fade and cleared the road directly into what was a building site. Half way up the fairway a builder came wondering over and gave me my ball back! Thankfully they were all wearing hard hats and no one was injured.
I drove the green with the second ball (must have bounced of the path we reckoned) and just missed the putt for par.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not to me but one of my playing group of 3. But still by far the worst thing I've witnessed.

17th tee Russ hits OoB. As Andy tees up Russ goes forward to get another ball and stands behind a little bit of hedge - leafy but sparse and only 18" deep - maybe 6-8 places forward and a couple to the left of Andy's teed ball. Russ feels he's safe as he's 'protected' by the piece of hedge.

Andy blasts his tee shot and smothers it straight low left and through the hedge at head height. Russ comes round end of hedge blinking - we think wow that must have been close! It wasn't - it hit him full pelt 'unslowed' by the hedge - on the back on the head - fortunately the hardest part of the back of the skull. He collapsed - not quite knocked out but near enough as makes no difference as couldn't stand. And huge lump swelling up straight away. We got help out on the course and he was taken back to clubhouse and then to hospital.

If his head had been turned any way other than as it was - doesn't bear thinking about. Really shook me.

Hedge has now been mostly removed so nothing to stand behind with false sense of security.

Me? One under gross with 2 to go and bogeyed them both :(
Ah!, now that explains your long running thread re standing positions :ROFLMAO:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Back when I was a junior member at Hagley Golf club in 1990 we set off in a junior competition, can’t remember the actual event but was a better ball format. We were first off with the rest of the juniors hanging around on the first tee under the supervision of one of the assistant pros.

If you’re on the right side of the fairway the green is blind which is where I was thanks to my slice, my playing partner was down the left so I started walking up the right hand side thinking “he’s got this”. He then shanked his approach.... into the back of my leg! I took a step but couldn’t bear weight on the afflicted limb so fell to the floor, bag loosing clubs as I fell on top of it. My mate ran over to assist and once back on my feet all the juniors and assistant pro were rolling around in fits of laughter on the first tee.
Fond, fond memories :D

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the tee at one of the par 3's at Littlestone, shanked it straight right towards some oldies on the adjacent fairway. Praying it would miss them and regretting not renewing my insurance it hit the older lady on the wrist. Thankfully she wasn't seriously hurt and was quite forgiving but very embarrassing all the same.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our 4 ball all tee'd off the par 5 9th and I hooked mine up the 1st. No problem as I hit up towards the tee box and then cut back across to the 9th, I walked across to the edge of the 9th just as my playing partner hit a rescue club from about 90 yards further down the fairway. He was a great ball striker and generally pretty accurate but I realised that his ball was going straight for me at head height and was probably at over 100mph, all I had time to do was to turn my head and lean backwards a bit in the hope I didnt get it full in the face. As luck would have it the ball dipped a little in flight and hit me on the chest right where the heart is and boy did it hurt. I had a bruise come up the size of a dinner plate the next day, but no other problem. He did just enquire as to why, being a team, I didnt chest it back on the fairway?

Last edited: