What’s the worst thing that’s happened to you on a golf course?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
When my wife and I were still in the early stages of our relationship, she would often walk the golf course with me on an evening......still in the trying to impress me stage I imagine. Anyway, one evening we are at the far end of the course and she asks where the closest toilet is, I just said its quiet and just go for a wee in the bush. She says No, my stomach is churning and I dont need a wee. Explaining that the closest toilet was back in the club house, we headed back that way at a bit of a pace. A few minutes later she pretty much shouts "I'm not going to make it" and darts into the trees.

When she comes out a few minutes later, I burst out laughing and she warns me that this will never be spoken of. I think I lasted about 20 mins before telling our closest friends. Being in the dog house was definitely worth it!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was playing in spain, and in all fairness i was having a nightmare. the refreshment buggy was up in front so i stopped to buy the beers to helpfully cheer myself up a bit. another golfer had the same idea, he asked how was i getting on to which i replied "im playing like a man with one arm".............. the one armed golfer who i'd just insulted replied "so am i"
He did laugh at me when i gave my grovelling apollogy which i was very grateful for!!
Just a bit of armless fun :ROFLMAO: , I'll get my coat

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting my foot down a rabbit hole and damaging my achilles tendon. 3 months off playing at the time and several more as the injurt

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Three spring to mind. These sadly aren't entertaining stories but are definitely on-course low points.

1. Par 3 over a lake, my friend and I spotted a dead body floating in the lake. Must have been in the water a few days and rigor mortis had set in.

2. Last time I played Northwood GC, we heard an almighty screech and bang from the road outside. Shortly after the air ambulance landed on the fairway, but unfortunately it was a fatal car crash.

3. Not me, but a friend (playing partner from no.2 above) saw an old boy keel over at Old Fold Manor. He didn't make it.

Not quite what I had expected, kept waiting for the punchline. Let me know if you're ever in Leeds (so I can get out of town)

sunshine

Visit site
When my wife and I were still in the early stages of our relationship, she would often walk the golf course with me on an evening......still in the trying to impress me stage I imagine. Anyway, one evening we are at the far end of the course and she asks where the closest toilet is, I just said its quiet and just go for a wee in the bush. She says No, my stomach is churning and I dont need a wee. Explaining that the closest toilet was back in the club house, we headed back that way at a bit of a pace. A few minutes later she pretty much shouts "I'm not going to make it" and darts into the trees.

When she comes out a few minutes later, I burst out laughing and she warns me that this will never be spoken of. I think I lasted about 20 mins before telling our closest friends. Being in the dog house was definitely worth it!

I don't imagine she was carrying a toilet roll in her pocket. Did she borrow your golf towel?

I bet she'll be delighted when you let her know you told a whole golf forum about "the incident" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rangers76

Visit site
Its 30 year's ago and first real summer playing golf and all I wanted to achieve was to break 100.
106 was best so far but this day everything going great, get on 18th tee and ask my PP what score I'm on,he won't tell me cos of bad luck.anyway its an uphill par 5 SI 10.
Absolutely nail the drive,walking up to drive pester my partner and he eventually tells me I'm on 90 so far,its in the bag easy .could hit 8 iron wedge and 7 putt for glory, instead I turn into Billy big bollox and try and knock a 5 wood over the big greenside bunkers,snap hook deep into woods followed by another snap hook followed by a duffed chip and a 3 putt :cry:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
1. Par 3 over a lake, my friend and I spotted a dead body floating in the lake. Must have been in the water a few days and rigor mortis had set in.
That would really annoy me, possibly even put me off my game. What did you score on the par 3? :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine are a bit tame compared to the tales of death and serious injury I've just read I'm afraid.

Couple of years ago I was playing, the course was really muddy and I was playing well. I think I was only 4 over gross after 8 holes or something, good for me at the time off 20-something. I'd just birdied the 8th, was shaping up to be my best ever round. Then walking down the ninth I slipped on a particularly muddy bit of ground, both feet went out from under me, my legs, arse and back were absolutely caked in mud as I hit the deck. Head well and truly gone and played the back nine horrendously after that.

One of the worst things that happened was witnessing my mate get an eagle on the 7th with a blind 180-yard hole out. Because I then had to listen to him tell that story to about 15 different people over the next 6 months.

Few other 'worst memories' pertaining to my golf. My first ever club championships, I was in a three-ball I think, one of the guys had an emergency call on the 5th and had to go leaving me (24 hcap) and this other guy (28 hcap) as a two-ball - we were both playing horrendously for what ever reason. Like how playing with better players makes you up your game, the reverse was also proving true, the worst one of us got, the worse we both got. We actually had to wave through a four ball as we were holding them up with our awfulness - so that was an all-time low.

Another low was my worst ever dose of the Tom Hanks. It was an away betterball Stableford match (I think) at Thorney Park, I had played a fantastic front nine, carrying our team and we were several points in front. Then the 10th tee, shanked a 5 iron over some trees. 11th fairway, two shanks in a row. My next two iron shots were shanked as well - amazing consistency. After that I had to start laying up to hybrid distance, unless I could get near enough for little pitch and run. Against two people from a different club it was totally embarrassing. We lost the match obviously, my partner wasn't quite able to carry me like I carried him on the front nine.

DCB

Visit site
Well there was the dead body incident at the 2nd hole and on the 3rd hole there was the plane crash landing incident ........

Okay, not on the same day, but, I would think the Chipmunk trainer crash landing would be enough to put anyone off their swing. Fortunately it didn't land on the 3rd hole, it crossed over a road and landed in a field next to the course. I think he may have run out of space to land on the golf course.

The joys of municipal golf ;-)

D

Deleted member 18588

Extinguishing my last cigar on the 13th fairway, 21.04.01.

Only surpassed by collapsing with a major heart attack at the side of the 15th green, also on 21.04.01.

At least I avoided the bunker and my PP made certain the ambulance kept off the putting surface. Not sure if the paramedics complied with the dress code. ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Extinguishing my last cigar on the 13th fairway, 21.04.01.

Only surpassed by collapsing with a major heart attack at the side of the 15th green, also on 21.04.01.

At least I avoided the bunker and my PP made certain the ambulance kept off the putting surface. Not sure if the paramedics complied with the dress code. ?

And here to tell the story 20 years later! Fair play to you! Must have changed your life!

D

Deleted member 18588

And here to tell the story 20 years later! Fair play to you! Must have changed your life!
Yes, I stopped smoking cigars!

Actually I have had two since, one at each of our sons' weddings.