Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
Got the video's and book now, going to take a look into over winter, been hitting the ball terrible lately, had it all nailed at one point with a conventional swing, putting and short chips was letting me down. was playing to around 2-3 shots under my handicap on most friendly games with my mates. However this has alluded me now, want to try this out and maybe take parts of it on board.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,
well, the S&T book has arrived now............ but I'm not allowed to read it until Xmas day!
It's a present from my son, and it's just there, (he says pointing), on top of that big box just to the right of the tree.......aaaaaggggghhhhh!
Touch it?......I can almost taste it!
How frustrating is this? I can't even cheat because it's already been wrapped!
As soon as its mine though, I'll read it, put it into practice at the range & report back. Not sure when that'll be though.
Until then, have a great Xmas everyone,
I hope your wishes come true, be lucky & stay safe,

Slime.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oops! Meant to report back after Sunday and forgot all about it.

I used to use a kind of variation on S&T and after getting the book last week (again) had a quick flick through it and headed out for a game on Sunday. The difference using some of the elements was far better contact with the ball especially with the irons, both from the fairway and tee. Using the driver will take some work, just to sort out address, set up and what not but the ones I did catch were pretty good with a nice shape on them.

James what's the cure for a big hook :whistle:

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
I use the Sean Foley method of stack and tilt...its pretty similar but with a few little differences.
used it for about 6 months and its revolutionised my driving accuracy.i can now shape the ball both ways with every club in the bag
to be honest its a great swing for anything higher than a 5 iron to a wedge.with the lower lofted clubs you need to work out the best ball position and concentrate on driving the hips by pushing up to shallow out the angle attack.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the Sean Foley method of stack and tilt...its pretty similar but with a few little differences..............with the lower lofted clubs you need to work out the best ball position and concentrate on driving the hips by pushing up to shallow out the angle attack.

Just out of interest, theknife, where do you find the best ball position when using a driver, and where are your hands in relation to the ball?

Slime.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oops! Meant to report back after Sunday and forgot all about it.

I used to use a kind of variation on S&T and after getting the book last week (again) had a quick flick through it and headed out for a game on Sunday. The difference using some of the elements was far better contact with the ball especially with the irons, both from the fairway and tee. Using the driver will take some work, just to sort out address, set up and what not but the ones I did catch were pretty good with a nice shape on them.

Chris

If you go onto the Sand Trap forum you will find a thread on how to hit the driver using S&T.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I got the Kindle book a few days ago because I was too impatient to wait for the post.

I've only tried it at the range so far, and I thought I was doing ok until I filmed myself. Even though it feels like I'm swinging around my waist I can't get my hands low enough during the backswing. Much more work needed.

The main thing that struck me reading the book is that if the authors were coaches for the conventional swing they would starve, and are overly critical of it, unnecessarily so more than once (imo).

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
Just out of interest, theknife, where do you find the best ball position when using a driver, and where are your hands in relation to the ball?

Slime.
normal postion,off the heel of the left foot for a mid trajectory drive.inch further forward for a high one or central for a stinger,hands are slightly pushed to the target but never get in front of the club if that makes sense.
one thing i dont do is widen my stance for my driver.i keep my stance the same width for every club form driver to 8 iron then shorten a little there on in.its just about shoulder width.
id also advise that while your getting used to the method that you use a driver of at least 10.5 degree

Last edited:

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
I got the Kindle book a few days ago because I was too impatient to wait for the post.

I've only tried it at the range so far, and I thought I was doing ok until I filmed myself. Even though it feels like I'm swinging around my waist I can't get my hands low enough during the backswing. Much more work needed.

The main thing that struck me reading the book is that if the authors were coaches for the conventional swing they would starve, and are overly critical of it, unnecessarily so more than once (imo).
you shouldnt need to swing that low to be honest.the method allows for a bit of interpretation really.do a you tube search for aaron baddeley when he used stack and tilt for slightly more upright and charlie wi what is a lot more shallow and correct like the book
as i said i use the foley version(tiger,mahan,rose etc) which allows me to swing more upright though its still only a 3/4 swing.i found with the books really inside backswing that i sometimes got the club stuck behind me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

It depends where the ball is starting, if it's starting pretty straight then it's just a case of having the clubface more open to start the ball more right, this in itself will reduce the clubface:swingpath difference and reduce curve.

If it's starting right and hooking then your swingpath needs addressing (too much in-to-out)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Even though it feels like I'm swinging around my waist I can't get my hands low enough during the backswing. Much more work needed.

You're probably trying to get them too low. It's the tilt towards the ball that puts the club on a steeper inclination. If I get the inside of my left elbow somewhere near my right shoulder and then tilt my shoulders at approx 30° is feels plenty steep enough... obviously this won't suit everyone. Reminds me.... need to get some vids of my swing.....

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
normal postion,off the heel of the left foot for a mid trajectory drive.inch further forward for a high one or central for a stinger,hands are slightly pushed to the target but never get in front of the club if that makes sense.
one thing i dont do is widen my stance for my driver.i keep my stance the same width for every club form driver to 8 iron then shorten a little there on in.its just about shoulder width.
id also advise that while your getting used to the method that you use a driver of at least 10.5 degree

Thanks theknife,
I'll take that advice to the range in a few days & see how I get on.
I can't bloody wait!
Got to get my new S&T sorted before I go to Spain in May for a week's golf.
Got to beat my twin brother........I mean.....I've just GOT to beat him .

Slime.

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
Where is Sean Foley's 'stack and tilt' method documented? ...and who teaches it?
sean foley did a lot of work with bennett and plummer and then modified various parts of the swing.
watching you tube videos and analizing tigers new swing and sean o hairs swings are a good place to start
he has a dvd out called the next generation and this page is pretty good
http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/foley.htm

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks theknife,
I'll take that advice to the range in a few days & see how I get on.
I can't bloody wait!
Got to get my new S&T sorted before I go to Spain in May for a week's golf.
Got to beat my twin brother........I mean.....I've just GOT to beat him .

Slime.
no worries pal...if you have any probs give me a shout

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ah OK, It sounded like I'd missed out on a publication by Foley or someone had actually started teaching his swing. I know his DVD is very much for beginners and wouldn't expect to find anything groundbreaking there for the 'better player'.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're probably trying to get them too low. It's the tilt towards the ball that puts the club on a steeper inclination. If I get the inside of my left elbow somewhere near my right shoulder and then tilt my shoulders at approx 30° is feels plenty steep enough... obviously this won't suit everyone. Reminds me.... need to get some vids of my swing.....

I was just going by what's in the book, ie. left arm at same angle as the shoulders and hands level with the right shoulder.

Looking at mine I'd say that my arms were 15° higher than my shoulder angle and the middle of my left forearm is level with my right shouder.

I will persevere for a while but I might end up just nicking little bits from the book since I already have 2 'faults' in my conventional swing which are good for S&T, which are right leg straightening too much and hips sliding towards the target.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was just going by what's in the book, ie. left arm at same angle as the shoulders and hands level with the right shoulder.

Looking at mine I'd say that my arms were 15° higher than my shoulder angle and the middle of my left forearm is level with my right shouder.

I will persevere for a while but I might end up just nicking little bits from the book since I already have 2 'faults' in my conventional swing which are good for S&T, which are right leg straightening too much and hips sliding towards the target.

Wow that's pretty negative already... didn't take long :) Like I said in my PM if you don't have the trust then you'll just start patching something up until you're back where you started.

Stand up straight facing forwards, place your left arm across your chest at approx shoulder height and support your left hand as you would if there were a club there (eg: make your grip). Rotate your shoulders 90° right (allowing right leg to straighten and right hip to move LEFT behind you) and left tilt shoulderline down towards the ball until you 'feel' your hands have come up to a sufficient plane.