Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cheers mate just had a look at you tube and watched the first couple of vids. I do not understand the swing completely as I have not really read anything about it. But looking at the basics it looks very similar to what I do anyway. I am not saying I have this complete T&S swing but the ball and hand position is the same. I also have the extra weight on my left side and keep more weight there through the swing than you normally would. People have always said how well I hit my irons and also the distance I hit them (smooth 9-iron=155 yards). Without looking into it more I would say you do not sacrifice distance. If anything you will gain distance if you are hitting your irons sweeter. Be interesting to hear from anyone who has incorporated this swing and how they are getting on with it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not know how much evidence there is for this creating people who hit the ball better. Every few years a new one comes out. Does anyone remember Dalton McCrearys straighter shooting golf. I had the books and Videos...yes videos not DVD's that is how long ago it was. I learnt how to do it one winter and only ever used the range for 1 month while incorporating this new swing, so as not to do any of my old ways. When I did get it to the course it was absolutely useless. I could not hit a barn door with a Banjo, let alone a par 3 from 150 yards. Did anyone else try this one?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Every few years a new one comes out. Does anyone remember Dalton McCrearys straighter shooting golf. I had the books and Videos...yes videos not DVD's that is how long ago it was.

I bought it just out of interest when it finally cost almost zilch, and I still have it, in video form, gathering dust in a draw at work! The main idea was to hit straight along a straight line for about 3ft of the downswing.

Chris

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do not know how much evidence there is for this creating people who hit the ball better. Every few years a new one comes out. Does anyone remember Dalton McCrearys straighter shooting golf. I had the books and Videos...yes videos not DVD's that is how long ago it was. I learnt how to do it one winter and only ever used the range for 1 month while incorporating this new swing, so as not to do any of my old ways. When I did get it to the course it was absolutely useless. I could not hit a barn door with a Banjo, let alone a par 3 from 150 yards. Did anyone else try this one?

Yes I remember getting Dalton McCrearys videos,hit longer straighter shots in 6 weeks or your money back,should have sent for my money back as it was not much help to me:)

When I first tried S&T I found you could learn alot about the swing without hitting a ball,The tip I found in the book that was really helpfull was to draw a line in the grass,and imagine the line as a ball, then swing and see where the diverts were,this gave you good feedback as you are ment to hit the line and not behind it.

I tried it with my "normall" swing first and then the S&T swing ,and although not hitting the line every time,most times behind it,but with a bit of practice it did get better.

I found putting most of the weight on the left side and dipping the shoulder easy enough,the part I would say I found the most difficult was learning to "straighten the legs and lift up on the follow through" something I still get wrong if I dont pay attention. But all in all it has helped,probebly the biggest part of my game its helped the most is from around 120 yards and in ,before I was'nt hitting the greens consistantly enough,but now I hit most greens from this distance,and consiquently getting better scores.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have been trying out the S & T swing for the last month or so, as a new(ish) player I have been having trouble shifting my weight from the back foot to the front foot on the conventional swing.

So far the only pro has been.
Better ball contact

The con's have been.
More weight on my left knee than is usual.
More lower back pain (lumbar region)
A tendency to hook the ball.

I am not sure I will continue with it.
I think it put's more stress on your left knee through weight & twisting.
Also because you tend to come down on the ball at a sharper angle & turn faster I find it hurts my lower back.
I have not noticed any major difference in shot length (except driving, which tends to be shorter)
I think I will persevere with the traditional swing, certainly in the off season anyway.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
...,the part I would say I found the most difficult was learning to "straighten the legs and lift up on the follow through" something I still get wrong if I dont pay attention.

Check your stance isn't too wide. If it's too wide you can easily get 'stuck in the middle'. Also ensure your left foot is flared open approx 20-30°.

On the downswing I allow my weight onto the left heel, from there it's easy to extend up using thigh muscles... it's flippin' hard to use the toe muscles to do it :) LOL

hope that helps.

(same applies to Cpt Black, check your stance isn't too wide..start hitting a few balls with your feet together and take it from there, chances are you've made a mistake in your set up... too conventional probably)

Last edited:

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Check your stance isn't too wide. If it's too wide you can easily get 'stuck in the middle'. Also ensure your left foot is flared open approx 20-30°.

On the downswing I allow my weight onto the left heel, from there it's easy to extend up using thigh muscles... it's flippin' hard to use the toe muscles to do it :) LOL

hope that helps.

(same applies to Cpt Black, check your stance isn't too wide..start hitting a few balls with your feet together and take it from there, chances are you've made a mistake in your set up... too conventional probably)

Thanks James, I will Check my stance next time I practice/play, not looking anytime soon with this weather up here.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right, my copy of the Bennett and Plummer S&T book turned up yesterday and I have to say it's a fascinating read. I love hearing from people who question perceived wisdoms and test things for themselves.

The basic principles (only read first few chapters) seem logical. Practicing the set-up, it seems comfortable as well. I'm looking forward to getting out on the range and giving it a try. They say that a traditional weight shift swing typically produces ball-striking issues and slices. That's me on a bad day when I can't get all the moving parts, planes and axes back to the ball together.

Can't be any worse than the slappy, chunky shots I was hitting on Saturday. I'll try to share a few updates about how it goes.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I feel it only fair to say that I've gone back to S&T over the last few weeks and have noticed a drastic improvement in my scoring.

Since my track was altered to add length to the course I've struggled to get even close to my handicap. Most weeks playing anywhere from 2 over, to 5-6 over my handicap.

Over the last few weeks I've spent 3 nights a week at the range working on the S&T principles, in conjunction with reading the book, I have felt my ball striking has improved dramatically.

Played my first full 18 holes since going back to S&T last weekend, guess what, Shoot 4 under my handicap. I don't think/remember hitting one iron or wedge fat. Direction seemed much better and, if I'm being honest, It just felt more natural. The driver was still misbehaving, but that's nothing new!

The only issue I had was with the start of the downswing, but the book and some advice from James (Just One) helped me past it.

I'm going to spend the winter months working on this and see how I progress, but so far, I'm not disappointed.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Played my first full 18 holes since going back to S&T last weekend, guess what, Shoot 4 under my handicap. I don't think/remember hitting one iron or wedge fat. Direction seemed much better and, if I'm being honest, It just felt more natural.

Awesome!... remember it's not going to get you to scratch in a week :D but what it does do is prove to you that you have the possibility to improve without having 3500 swing thoughts or an entire year on the range. Just stick with the fundamentals as written, don't try to make it up as you go along. There's nowt wrong with a nice 5yrd push-draw. :)