Stack and Tilt?

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JustOneUK... I'm not the one you need to convince of the merits...lol But thanks for the reply anyhow.

Personally I feel I strike better when I feel more planted on both feet & don't try for too much movement other than through the ball. And just so long as I don't overswing all is well. Not too sure I'd want to be stuck on that left/front foot other than with short game.

Only problem with the modern 80's 90's type swing you refer to & to be honest its probably more a 00's(noughtys) swing you refer to that is damaging to many people, its more the misconseption of the modern swing that is the problem. Too many people get so worked up abnout the weightshift that it becomes a slide rather than a movement of weight from one foot to the other. In other words many over exagerate the shift to create a slide, which is probably more damaging than any stack & tilt. That said I'm not sure I'd still advocate that either. But as I said before I can understand the logic, where S696 cannot.

There are many swings over the years & centuraries we could potentially look at & the current modern pro swing is the current culmination of all this.

Quite frankly I think more emphasis needs to be made of a good address, good alighnment, good stance & good posture. Get those right & no matter what you do in the swing, with the correct fundementals there is only so much to work on.

screw696

Hacker
Visit site
Hogans swing was simply two turns and a swish. Excellent work ethic. Didn't get bogged down in this stack and tilt rubbish.
Its not a hot face. Simply a legal Ping 5.5 Tisi Tec.
Whats your handicap? You certainly talk a good game!!!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh I very much doubt I'd be anywhere near as good as you matey...lol. Infact I know I won't be. As knowledge doesn't always translate into ability. Or should I say ability to put the knowledge into practice.

Doesn't Jiminez use Ping Tisi 3 & 5 woods.

Must say you do like a classy classic setup looking at what you've listed as the contents of your bag.

Anyway, as I say getting back to the swing issue. I like the description of two turns & a swish, which I have heard before, though in reality there'd be more going on than just this. And also describing a swing as two turns & a swish could describe a lot of swings with a lot of lea-way as regards to what actually goes on.

But as regards the Stack & Tilt method, which I'm not for or against, & quite frankly wouldn't want to get too bogged down with. Infact its not one of those things I'd really want to follow up on myself. However if someone feels it is helping them, then fine, but I do have my doubts about it.

I can see the theory of it might work, especially for short game. irony is even stack & tilt could be described as two turns & a swish too. Which shows how much ground that description covers. Though it remains a description of a golf swing I still like, because I do feel we can get overly bogged down with the technicalities of what goes into a golf swing, this swing or that swing, or some other kind of swing.

As I described in another thread I believe. If we get too technical it can become like painting by numbers, & that surely as anything stiffles any natural artistry in the game. That said & getting back to what I was on about in my previous post. Get the correct setup, with alighnment, grip & posture, then hopefully two turns should be all that is needed to create a personal golf swing.

My God I'm about to sound like a quote from that film Bagger Vance, where he goes on about finding your own personal swing (not a direct or exact quote btw). But in essence if you get the basics right & right for you, if it works, then why knock it.

I mean who knocks Jim Furyk's swing these days as it works.
Jeev Milka Singh has a swing that has a lot of faults, if you listen to pro's & what they descibe as right & wrong. Jeev has a lot of swing faults that we amatures are guilty of, even when we know we should correct them, but I've watched him play & although although consistency can be an occasional problem, he tends to repeat his swing & repeats his flightpath. I've been in the crowd next to the tee watching him & I actually think Jeev has a nice looking swing, yes we can see all the things our golf pro would go on about but it works & Jeev is still long with those drives & I had the privilide to see him get an Ace at the Belfry.But as I say to semi quote bagger Vance, its a swing he owns, its his & his alone. And again is two turns & a swish, much as Hogans was. They are different, but in simplicity follow what you are going on about.

This is why although I am cautious about stack & Tilt & cautious about some other fads, I can see that for some if could be of some use in some way or another.

Now lets talk Tiger. He has another very impressive swing, well after all he is the current world number one. but I've know many pro critics either heap praise or critism on his swing. Well its his swing & although it can get him into trouble off the tee when he carves it right. Times I've seen him get into real trouble on the television, into places most would find it hard to return double & triple bogey. Infact if we could site one person who has on one hand done so much for the game, but on the other so much to destroy the amatuer game its Tiger. How many amatuers & I'll raise my hand even though I've never really been a fan of his, have tried to put 110% into a swing with the obvious results. He's put it into the minds of many that they can do things they cannot.

As I say even if its a lesson we learn, every now & again we forget ourselves & instead of swinging within ourselves, go for it. Sometimes it'll pay off & we'll catch it just right, but we do instantly turn all these & any shots into high risk shots, just because instead of keeping it simple & what is ours.

Many site Ernie Els as someone to copy because of his tempo. He's been called the Big Easy. Now as a premis I really believe thats great, though even he has been guitly of being effected by the Tiger mentality, with again obvious results.

Anyway, I digress, but in the tangental thinking it does expand upon the main point & for this mere talentless anorak, who is itching to get a game in today, it does show that yes I agree with what you say & Hogan is a great example to follow, but he is only one of many great golfers with a simple attitude to the golf swing. Hogan overcame a lot to achive what he did too. I have nothing but admiration for his focus. In some respect he is one of those few that over the years are out of, or should I say ahead of their time.

Stack & Tilt as a Theory may not have existed in Hogans time, though I bet many will have gotten caught on their left side as part of their swing during his time.

In many respects I'd have prefered to have been around back then as no-one really got bogged down too much with techniques & technicallities, which I suspect is probably much of what you like in Hogans swing.

I was hoping to get back onto the main focus of the thread, but hey ho.