Considering Stack & Tilt

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My tuppence ( you can feed the birds with that, if you know the right films :rolleyes: )

I've chatted with JoUK many times about it, and I can see many advantages of it.

But

To change, I ( you/anyone ) would have to get rid of all my ( your/his - you get the drift ) old thoughts and feelings and ingrain the new ones.

Which is going to take 10,000 ( give or take ) balls on the range. At the rate of 100 a week, and allowing for bad weather etc, that's going to be the best part of three seasons.

I'm not talented enough to be able to do that, and I know darned well I'd end up giving up the game before I achieved it.

However there are some simple things which can be intergrated into a more traditional swing relatively easily ; staying centred above the ball, swinging around the body on the backswing, etc.

That's where I see modern pros bringing the changes into the game. A sort of swing evolution, if you will. In another 10-15 years I think you'll see a purer, more elegant form of S&T being perfectly normal to see.

I've not tried proper S&T because my muscle memory goes back 30 years and all I want to do is try to simplify what I've got to try to give it some kind of consistancy. But I have tried setting up with more weight on the left side. I believe it can help with a more consistant strike, but I fear loss of distance.

That doesn't affect guys like JoUK, HTL, and modern pros. They have distance to spare in their armouries, they just need more consistancy.

It makes total sense to JoUk. He can read a book, interpret it, and put it into practise. He's also not too bad at communicating it to other people. Once you've seen him hit a ball you'll see it can work, even for a half baked, lazy, non practicer, like him.

I think that over the next ten years, teaching pros will dabble with it in their spare time, and more and more bits of it will become 'normal'.

Every generation has someone who does something a little different, but a lot better, that the guys before them. Then all the teaching pros jump on the bandwagon.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing is, stack and tilt isn't really that new. Most of the photos in the book are black and white, so these moves have been around a while.

Ok, very few top pro's at the moment use out and out stack and tilt, but there are quite a few who exhibit element of it.

Thing for me is, I'm not a touring pro. I never will be. For me, a more simple S&T swing is going to reap dividends. I hit some awesome iron sots today, which I could not have played this time last year. Just because the pro's hit it one way doesn't mean it will suit me. We are talking a very small percentage of people here who can make that swing work.

For those who can reproduce the swing of a professional, good luck to you, but for those who can't, may be S&T will produce more consistent results. It has for me.