Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gibbo/MH. The only advice I will give as regards adopting the pattern is don't try and do too much too soon. I've spent the last 18 months adding the different facets to my game in the order of how I swing 1st- set-up, 2nd - Take away and back swing etc.

Dont just change your swing wholesale straight away.

I'm working, at the minute on tucking the hips at the finish of the swing. My ball striking has been much improved since taking up the S&T pattern. I'm not for one second saying I couldn't have improved using a conventional swing, but this pattern seems to suit me and it's reflecting in my striking and subsequent scores.

As an example. Here are the strike marks on the faces from last night short game practice (Approach play from 25-125 yards)

temporary-117.jpg

temporary-116.jpg

temporary-115.jpg

temporary-114.jpg

Thursdays practice is mid-iron approach play to various greens at the range. Still working on the tuck, as that's the reason for the range visit, just so happen I'll be hittin 5-8 irons at greens :smirk:

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently all over this like a rash myself. Got the book at last, having a read through starting today, then it's 2 range sessions a week grooving changes.

Not going all out balls out with everything in one go though, am introducing it slowly a piece at a time to make sure each move is grooved. Hopefully over the next 4 months my consistency will return and my goals with it can be achieved.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
So far, the weight on the left side and big shoulder turn has helped me out quite a bit.

Next step is working on the downswing as I'm still not consistently striking the ball flush.

Awaiting arrival of DVDs- books don't help me at all!!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, which aspects of the S&T method are you guys NOT going to change to ?

I'm trying to incorporate all aspects of S&T. My biggest problem is how to take my range form to the course.
On the range yesterday and virtually everything was going really well, on the course was a different story!
I only managed to hit one green, most of the others I missed right, maybe my clubface is slightly too open on contact and I hardly got any draw at all. I think it's a butt tucking thing....................still a W I P I'm afraid.

Slime.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I only managed to hit one green, most of the others I missed right, maybe my clubface is slightly too open on contact and I hardly got any draw at all.

Sounds more than feasible. You could address the face (which I'd suggest first) or 'persuade' your swingpath to come more from the inside (more weight left, hands more forward, hand path more in) if it's not already. Hardest thing to check (without an extra pair of eyes) is your posture.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If the players handpath was previously more 'out' than that then Yes I'd suggest that was a better position.

I happen to like that position a lot as the player (is that Mike Bennett?) has the club on the same plane as the shoulders... which in turn are nicely tilted.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I happen to like that position a lot as the player (is that Mike Bennett?) has the club on the same plane as the shoulders... which in turn are nicely tilted.

They're a bit like Ant and Dec, I never know which one's which.
:)
You mean when the hands are waist height, the shaft and shoulder lines are parallel ?

Sttg.jpg

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
They're a bit like Ant and Dec, I never know which one's which.

LOLOLOL :D Generally the one who you see hitting balls is Mike Bennett...... or DEC :D

You mean when the hands are waist height, the shaft and shoulder lines are parallel ?

attachment.php

Are we about to go down the 'I can find a picture of anything and cause an argument' route Bob?

I like the positions in that pic although I can find other pics where the hands are deeper, less deep, where the clubhead is deeper or indeed outside the hands, where there is more shoulder tilt or less shoulder tilt. All swings have variances according to the ballflight that the player requires/achieves. What is important is that the player is hitting the ball a sufficient distance and consistently enough to play the game. The distance comes from the rotation and the body powering the swing rather than the arms, and the consistency comes from not rocking the weight right and left whilst expecting to keep the low point consistent.

Last edited: