Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow that's pretty negative already... didn't take long :) Like I said in my PM if you don't have the trust then you'll just start patching something up until you're back where you started.

Stand up straight facing forwards, place your left arm across your chest at approx shoulder height and support your left hand as you would if there were a club there (eg: make your grip). Rotate your shoulders 90° right (allowing right leg to straighten and right hip to move LEFT behind you) and left tilt shoulderline down towards the ball until you 'feel' your hands have come up to a sufficient plane.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound negative. The only negativity is my lack of faith that I'll be able to change my swing enough to follow it to the letter, but I won't give up.

None of my fourball will be able to tell I'm trying to change my swing and will blame the bad play on my new irons :eek:oo:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
R3,

Here's a pic of a swing arc with the low point of the arc (red arrow) marked.

We can't hit this ball with an iron.......

ar1.jpg

The reason we can't hit it is because we hit the ball with a descending blow and by the time the club gets to that ball the clubhead will be an inch under ground!!... that ball is sitting on the lowest point and this will happen.. a fat shot

ar1a.gif

The club enters the ground a little behind the ball and exits in front of it... nasty! So we have to position the ball BEHIND the lowest point (which is also called the 'back side of the circle').

It would look something like this......

ar2.jpg

But we don't want to move the ball back in our stance as that promotes too much weight on the backfoot (that's where the sh*t happens)... so instead of moving the ball backwards we move the swing arc forwards by putting a little weight on the left side at address and increasing that weight as the swing progresses, so we can keep the ball in the middle, and now we have a new swingarc and a new lowpoint that looks like this....

ar3.gif

as you can see we can now hit the ball from the middle of our stance BEFORE we hit the ground at the lowpoint.

ALSO: as you can see because the swingarc is more forward and the ball is behind the lowpoint we are now approaching the ball from the INSIDE.

So it will look more like this.....

ar5.gif

We move the lowpoint forward (dotted arc) then we hit the ball from the inside and the ground afterwards, we can't move the lowpoint forward without an aggressive move to the left... or at least apply some of the 'left' at setup.

People who move too much weight on their right foot through the swing hardly ever get the lowpoint forward enough of the ball (especially not amateurs), in fact many end up with the lowpoint to the RIGHT of the ball and wonder why they hit fat shots and 'flip the club and suffer from early extension in the downswing..etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi fellas,
I've just come back from the range having started to read my S&T book.
I'm finding the S&T swing very strange, to say the least.
The weight over the left foot feels odd & the dropping of the shoulder downward....well....I find it just makes me bob my head down. My shots were military to say the least, left...right...left...right, with the occasional dead straight top!!
I got another bucket of balls and.............BINGO! Things started to happen.....in a good way.
My ball striking, whilst by no means pure, improved dramatically & I found myself hitting 4 to 5 yard draws about 75% of the time. 15% were going straight or straightish & the rest were crap.
The reason for this was the hip thrust on the downswing.............it just seemed to put all the other pieces together. I ended up with two swing thoughts, having already addressed the ball with more weight on my front foot.
On the backswing I am only interested in keeping my arms close to my body. This has two major benefits FOR ME. 1. It stops me from over swinging (a 30year old fault of mine), & 2. I can totally forget about dropping my shoulder, (it just happens automatically), which has the added bonus of eliminating my head bob.
On the downswing I only think of the hip thrust. This FOR ME is the most critical part of the S&T swing at the moment. As soon as I got the hang of that my ball striking & shot shape improved dramatically.
Anyway that's about it for now, but I will keep at it & report back if you would like me to do so.
Sorry this is a long post, but, I hope that someone finds at least some of my experience beneficial to their game. I must stress that this experience is definitely helpful TO ME and maybe not so much for everyone trying S&T.
All the best to everyone on this site,

Slime.

P.S. Anyone got a miracle cure for tennis elbow?
I've had it since May & my left elbow is killing! Bloody range mats don't help either!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If it is proper tendonitis then a Cortizone injection otherwise rest. I assume you can not pick up a pint off the bar without great pain Slime ? Last time I had tennis elbow it lasted nearly three years, but I did carry on playing tennis and golf.:whistle:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it is proper tendonitis then a Cortizone injection otherwise rest. I assume you can not pick up a pint off the bar without great pain Slime ? Last time I had tennis elbow it lasted nearly three years, but I did carry on playing tennis and golf.:whistle:

ONLY three years, thanks mate. That fills me with joy & hope...............not !!

Slime.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Justone is talking about ruta graveolens , Smiffy passed what he had left to me and they did seem to work. a bottle of little white pills. Could of been just sugar for all I know but after a month or so my elbow cleared up. Theres also some stretch exercises that you can do to help, hold arm out straight and bend hand back so that fingers are pointing to the sky and hold. Then do the opposite, push hand forward so that fingers are pointing to the ground and hold.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks sawtooth,
have been doing the exercises for a few months now.
Will give Ruta Graveolens a go for sure though.
Thanks mate,

Slime.

[h=1][/h]

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks sawtooth,
have been doing the exercises for a few months now.
Will give Ruta Graveolens a go for sure though.
Thanks mate,

Slime.

[h=1][/h]

In addition to the stretches, if you are not already doing them; then you can isolate the lower arm muscles (put elbow on a table) and do wrist curls.

You've got micro tears in the tendon caused in part by an imbalance between the muscles of the upper and lower arm and so need to strengthen the lower arm muscles relative to the upper arm muscles, as well as stretch and rest.

Is it golfers or tennis elbow? One's on the inside and one's on the outside of the arm.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
In addition to the stretches, if you are not already doing them; then you can isolate the lower arm muscles (put elbow on a table) and do wrist curls.
2. [/QUOTE]Is it golfers or tennis elbow? One's on the inside and one's on the outside of the arm.[/QUOTE]

1. Is that with the lower arm horizontal or vertical? (Probably a dumb question).
2. Definitely tennis elbow, pain is on outside of joint......you know......the boney bit you always hit on door frames.

Thanks sgc001,

Slime.