Spikeless Golf Shoes

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Just wondering what people's experience of spikeless golf shoes is like. Probably loads of topics on this but thought I'd ask as technology changes etc.

Do you have another pair of shoes with spikes for winter or wet weather or do modern spikeless shoes grip just as well?

I've always ruled them out due to thinking they'll be useless on grass in the wet or frost.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering what people's experience of spikeless golf shoes is like. Probably loads of topics on this but thought I'd ask as technology changes etc.

Do you have another pair of shoes with spikes for winter or wet weather or do modern spikeless shoes grip just as well?

I've always ruled them out due to thinking they'll be useless on grass in the wet or frost.

In the very wet weather I use myjoys with metal spikes but for most of the winter I have played in Ecco Biom spikeless allied to a pair of sealskinz socks, always dry and warm with no loss of grip

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only wear Ecco Biom hybrids (spikeless), and wear them all year round. Having the whole sole in contact and biting on the gorund gives better traction and stability I find.
Would never go back to spikes.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have used Adidas Boost spikeless. Bought for the summer but have also worn them all year, as long as it is not especially wet. Great for convenience - can drive to the course in them go in the clubhouse, great for the range and practice too. Lose out on waterproofing, but make up for that in comfort and flexibility of use.

Am on the verge of getting a pair of these having tried them on yesterday https://www.nike.com/gb/t/lunar-con...VzJPtCh1DTANLEAQYASABEgKhK_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Keep spiked for very wet winter weather (Shoes get filthy and it's slippy around here).

Spikeless for summer.

I think it depends on your course. If you're on a very good links course (such as somwhere like Birkdale) that won't ever get standing water, then spikeless will probably be fine. If you're on a course that gets standing water, which goes away but leaves it very wet, you'll probably want spikes.

I've found I prefer playing in spikeless because I can feel the pressure transfer in my feet, therefore use the ground better.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Personally, I don't get on with Spikeless shoes which, seeing as I wear trainers 99% of the time is strange..
Just feel more comfy with soft spikes
White Skechers Pro2 for dry, ECCO Cool for wet...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have some quite steep slopes at the side of our greens .
Spikeless are really dangerous on these slopes some guys have been hurt!
So it depends where you play .
Flatish course ok all year
Hilly course ok when dry but soft spikes for me in the wet.

D

Deleted member 15344

FJ Pro SLs are superb and have used them in all conditions include frozen ground

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have a couple of pairs of Adidas Gripmores, which grip superbly in the wet. However, they leak like a sieve. They are very, very comfortable too. I also bought a pair of FJ Pro SL with boa fastening. They are a little stiffer in the leather, and not as comfortable but are very waterproof, only letting in water after a long spell in a downpour.

I prefer to wear the Gripmores, unless the forecast is not so good.

D

Deleted member 15717

Ecco Biom Hybrids here too. Amazing shoe...especially with the goretex. Have worn them all year round and had no issues.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another Ecco Biom Hybrid fan......best thing I have ever put on my feet. They are as comfortable as my slippers. That being said, I value them to much to be wearing them trekking through mud. Traditional spiked shoes for winters as they give better grip. I have tried the Ecco's in winter and they never slipped but I just feel uneasy exposing such good shoes to the brutalities of winter

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Great thanks. I think I'll stick with spikes. The steep slopes thing is an issue and I don't mind spikes during the summer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We have some quite steep slopes at the side of our greens .
Spikeless are really dangerous on these slopes some guys have been hurt!
So it depends where you play .
Flatish course ok all year
Hilly course ok when dry but soft spikes for me in the wet.

Spikeless are not really dangerous that is your opinion.

Personally never had an issue with spikeless shoes, never slipped and I've played a good few goat tracks in honking weather conditions. Slips can happen anywhere with any footwear and its usually down to not paying enough attention to the ground conditions as apposed to the footwear.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having never owned a pair of spikeless, i’ve Always wondered how long they last. When my spikes wear down I just replace them. How much wear can spikeless shoes take before they become a bit slippy? For instance if you just had one pair, how long would they last playing twice a week through the summer?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my mates went a cropper a couple of weeks ago. He was wearing spikeless and it was only a tiny little mound but it was when the course was reaching waterlogged conditions in places.

I wear them in the dry but go to cleats when it is wet.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
FJ hyperflex in the winter and Ecco spikeless in the summer for me. The Ecco shoes are like wearing slippers....so comfy!

I have my eye on a pair of FJ pro SL though!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everything safety wise comes down to the nature of the surface.

Typical heartland, and most links, and it's the grip on the surface layer that counts; and good spikeless soles (Ecco are an example) can outperform most spiked soles.

Bring clay into the equation and for a lot of situations your grip on the surface layer isn't going to help- it will simply shear under load and you will be sliding! Crampons are the only real solution here as most metal spikes simply aren't long enough to be much assistance, including stingers etc
The answer here includes staying of slippery bans regardless of your shoes!

Wet conditions are more about the waterproof nature of the shoes overall, and mud or grass cuttings (or both) can clog up many designs. Then it comes down to recognising the conditions and having the right choices available!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wear ecco golf shoes to work every day. Have worn the same pair for 4 years. The soles are wearing a bit. Prior to this i wore leather soled shoes. 4 months, the soles wore out. Plastic soled shoes, a year tops. The carpets at work are mega abrasive.

So, there are guys out there that think a season, walking on grass, will wear spikeless shoes out? Really? Its grass, not sandpaper!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always used to wear cleats in the wet and winter, until I bought some biom goretex golf shoes from Ecco, I have them to be excellent in the wet conditions, would def recommend them.