Damp feet with waterproof shoes

G1z1

Visit site
Anyone else have this problem? Noticing it more now with winter. I have a few different brands of waterproof golf shoes, Nike puma and under armour and almost everyday if grass is wet my socks are damp after the round. Is that normal and maybe I should just get waterproof socks or are the shoes I’m using rubbish? Any recommendations for fully waterproof shoes or socks ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sealskins socks ?
These really are the answer. Buy mid range shoes that are the most comfortable you can find and will cope with regular weather. When you hit winter or you know the course will be really wet then combine with Sealskinz socks.

I do this with a pair of puma shoes I bought from ag in a sale a couple of years ago for £45. Works perfectly, I have dry feet all year round and I no longer get grumpy about my shoes not being fully waterproof in the worst conditions.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
These really are the answer. Buy mid range shoes that are the most comfortable you can find and will cope with regular weather. When you hit winter or you know the course will be really wet then combine with Sealskinz socks.

I do this with a pair of puma shoes I bought from ag in a sale a couple of years ago for £45. Works perfectly, I have dry feet all year round and I no longer get grumpy about my shoes not being fully waterproof in the worst conditions.

What are they like thermally, ie do they keep your feet warm even when in the wet?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought a pair of Footjoy golf boots on Ebay for about £55 last autumn and, frankly, they are flippin awesome

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem? Noticing it more now with winter. I have a few different brands of waterproof golf shoes, Nike puma and under armour and almost everyday if grass is wet my socks are damp after the round. Is that normal and maybe I should just get waterproof socks or are the shoes I’m using rubbish? Any recommendations for fully waterproof shoes or socks ?
Damp is ok by me. It could be perspiration, or the shoes may be leaking slightly - even from the 'top'.
My Eccos (several sets) have been watertight, but any trips to the long grass are likely to have dampness soak in via socks.
Sealskinz are the 'ultimate' method for me, but if I 'seriously' need them it means it's time to consider replacing the shoes! I've considered boots, but that's yet more clobber I have to remember/pack/lug around etc. Summer is much better when the shoes I wear (Footjoy Professionals) can double as ones for both the course and the clubhouse!

G1z1

Visit site
I called the blacks store in my area, guy said they have a big selection in store. Just need to make the trip into town. Saturday before Xmas this is going to be fun trying to get parking space.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are they like thermally, ie do they keep your feet warm even when in the wet?
Thermally fine. They are quite thick, it feels like two pairs of socks with a waterproof layer inbetween. I don't know if that is how they work but that is the feeling. It's odd when you first put them on but after a few seconds you adjust. For me it's like putting a skin/thermal top on. Odd then normal.

I played last weekend and the course was like a bog. My feet were completely dry and were neither sweaty nor cold.

I did buy a summer pair last year, shorter and slightly thinner than the standard socks which are the size of football socks, for wet days in the warm. They worked just as well in terms of waterproofing but were better in the warm weather.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Water will find a way in through the laces and tongue of any waterproof shoe. If the grass is higher than the laces, that'll happen.
Sketchers have a shoe with a seamed tongue which solve this, but spikeless only. I find them stable enough, but some others may not.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my pair of adidas code chaos and in the end put it down to sweating. They’re water tight both ways meaning perspiration can’t get out. After a season they absolutely stank, honestly thought a cat had wazzed in them! Well over £100 they were n all.

RichA

Visit site
I've got 4 pairs of waterproof shoes.
Adidas - leak like a sieve.
Puma - moderately leaky
Puma - slightly leaky
Footjoy - slightly leaky today on their 4th outing.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my pair of adidas code chaos and in the end put it down to sweating. They’re water tight both ways meaning perspiration can’t get out. After a season they absolutely stank, honestly thought a cat had wazzed in them! Well over £100 they were n all.
As weird as this will sound, a pair of teabags in each shoe after each round should help with that, as they absorb the moisture.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Truly waterproof, buy a pair of Ecco Goretex shoes. My feet were bone dry today. You may pay more for Ecco, but they’re worth it, my last pair lasted 6 years. Works out at £30 per year, fantastic value.
When it comes to shoes me and Foxholer sing from the same sheet.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Truly waterproof, buy a pair of Ecco Goretex shoes. My feet were bone dry today. You may pay more for Ecco, but they’re worth it, my last pair lasted 6 years. Works out at £30 per year, fantastic value.
When it comes to shoes me and Foxholer sing from the same sheet.
And yet I've had as many leakage issues with Ecco as I have had with every other brand..
The UA ones I have at the moment have been solid for almost a year and they've been worn plenty of times.