OCD with golf equipment?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not OCD per se as I have a Nike putter and use Srixon Z stars, but literally everything else in my bag (including the bag!) is Mizuno. It’s pathetic but I just bloody love mizuno and fortunately, I get on with my clubs most of the time.
Have your MP57's arrived yet ?:LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I go either way, more often than not I'll deliberately mix it up, I even decided during an earlier lockdown that I wanted to play a set with every club by a different maker and still intend to do it some time this year.
Other times it'll be one manufacturer, I even have a full set of one model that I've played before.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I only have Ping clubs. The pro at the club is a fitter for Ping and Callaway, so not a huge amount of choice, but he knows my ability (or lack of it) and having tried all the models of each, I feel I have the ones best suited to me. Having said that I bought a new PXG hybrid untried in January and already absolutely love it, so may be tempted to do the same in the future. I have a Titleist bag despite never having owned a Titleist club, I think Ping ones are a bit ugly.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I only have Ping clubs. The pro at the club is a fitter for Ping and Callaway, so not a huge amount of choice, but he knows my ability (or lack of it) and having tried all the models of each, I feel I have the ones best suited to me. Having said that I bought a new PXG hybrid untried in January and already absolutely love it, so may be tempted to do the same in the future. I have a Titleist bag despite never having owned a Titleist club, I think Ping ones are a bit ugly.
I really like the Ping bags, think they make great quality bags

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I was a titleist fan boy, absolutely everything was titleist from ball to bag to clubs. I think that definitely stemmed from the OCD in me and a little of my materialistic side.

I then thought to myself why am I a walking billboard for a company that doesn’t even know I exist. Almost looks ridiculous when your walking around like a sponsored athlete and most likely costing yourself shots just to be loyal to a brand. The only thing I was missing was free clubs and my name on my staff bag. Thought bugger this and got re-custom fit irons, wedges,woods and driver comparing numerous brands rather than titleists range only. Putter I was fit for and no interest in changing.

Now I just play whatever I fit best and have a mix of Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist and Cobra which I play as it was best for my numbers, dispersion etc following thorough comparisons at custom fits with a professional friend that was fortunately patient enough for this.

Only thing that has to match for me is grips, all MCC +4 Aligns Midsize In grey with 2 layers of extra tape on all my clubs except putter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course ‘sets’ of clubs are a relatively recent C20th development. Possibly due to cost, most players would only acquire clubs as they could be afforded and they would buy only what they felt they needed. Then for most that purchase would be from one or other of your local clubmakers and in whatever style of club they were making at the time and was available. Full sets probably felt like more a show of wealth rather than anything else.

Besides...your wee lad caddy would struggle tucking a dozen or more clubs under his arm as he traipsed after you round the course ?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ive never considered a club that wasnt the best fit. But twice ive been very close to a full bag.

Once in 2007 ish with taylormade, was missing driver when a Cleveland Launcher Ti beat out an R7 (I really wanted an R7!!) .

And once around 2011 when a nike wedge was keeping titleist from the full set. In fairness the titliest bag was never going to last - I could never hit the blades!!

Currently I've got 6 manufacturers!

In fairness, now seems like a time yhst a few companies have very good everything. I think you could have a full Ping, Callaway, TM, Titleist bag without giving up any performance.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I thought i would go down the one brand bag when I started building my bag up last year - it was all Callaway, bag included.

However, since then its morphed into a real mix. I've now got Callaway woods and hybrid, mizuno irons, TM and cleveland wedges, and an odyssey putter in a TM bag and I'm absolutely fine with that. Only thing I would change would be to have all wedges the one brand.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Britishshooting says it best, brand loyalty is a one way street. They don't know you exist on this tiny spec in the vast cosmos.

If its genuine OCD and would make you anxious or even ill, I get it. But if not, you could potentially be costing yourself shots because of it.

Play what works best, not what matches.

My bag (which switches between a BagBoy stand bag and a Powakaddy trolley one) is mixed with TM Driver, 5w and 3 & 4 hybrids, Mizuno 3w and MP18 irons 5-PW, S18 wedges and a Bettinari putter.

Of any didn't/don't/stop working, they will be replaced by what does.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always been mixed for me, but the bag must either be my iron brand or non club brand like sun mountain etc .. that’s my OCD that and making all journeys a closed loop.
Bag mix is Callaway driver&5wood , Bridgestone 7wood, Adams 4hybrid, Mizuno irons 5-pw, titleist vokey 52,56 ,60 and odyssey 2ball fang thing that looks very technical.. in a Callaway waterproof bag or Sun mountain stand bag ..
And yes my trolley bag is away from my ideal but my OCD is on the back burner as bag purchases are pointless unless it’s useless

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be like that, but both my sets are mixed bags now. I used to be OCD about grips ... when I replaced them they had to be the same as the ones that came on the clubs originally, but I’ve managed to shake that one off. My only OCDish thing now is that for drivers, fairways, hybrids and putter, I need to have the original design headcover.

I love guys like you.

I very rarely use the headcovers that come with the clubs and they go on ebay if I am sure I am keeping the club. I often get amazed at what I get for them. I once bought some MD Seve hybrids on clearance for £90 for 3. Sold the headcovers for £30 to somebody Seve obsessed.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love guys like you.

I very rarely use the headcovers that come with the clubs and they go on ebay if I am sure I am keeping the club. I often get amazed at what I get for them. I once bought some MD Seve hybrids on clearance for £90 for 3. Sold the headcovers for £30 to somebody Seve obsessed.
I wasn’t aware there was such a market, I have loads of head covers as I think they are poor from the OEMS

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn’t aware there was such a market, I have loads of head covers as I think they are poor from the OEMS

Totally agree about OEN headcovers in the main. They protect the head but not the shaft so I always switch them for sock style.

I remember the first one I sold.

I was selling a Biggest Big Bertha via the Yellow pages. The guy buying it sent his mate to collect it. His mate knew nothing about golf and did not like the fact that the shaft flexed. He wanted £10 knocked off the agreed price which I reluctantly agreed to. After he had gone I realised I had not given him the H/cover- I got £16 for it on ebay.