OCD with golf equipment?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok strange topic here, but wondering has anyone else been similar?

I’m just getting back playing properly again having been away from game since 2014/15 or so. My old clubs are a mix of brands

I want to update some if not all my clubs. A mix of brands never bothered me but now I seem to be getting focused on having one brand of equipment. I really can’t explain why
It’s almost like OCD tendencies or something, in rest of my life it’s never seemed an issue. Now I would be neat about how I’d pack the dishwasher or things like that, but I’d feel it’s more organised and being efficient

It’s not worrying me as such but I must say I’ve found it quite strange to be honest as I’ve never felt that way before in past. It’s like something has changed in my thinking, because I didn’t play with past few years I haven’t noticed it. For example driver is one club I definitely want to change but if for example I thought I’d like a Cobra driver I almost rule it out because they don’t make putters. Or if I think Callaway that’s good because Odyssey make putters. I saw Wilson irons I thought were lovely but thought their woods don’t get great reviews so that could be a problem trying to match

I know this sounds daft to most people but wondering if anyone else thinks like this

D

Deleted Member 1156

No I don't think like that :ROFLMAO:

Problem is, very few manufacturers make everything. You are limiting yourself to only 4 or 5 brands. Nothing wrong with a mixed bag. I have Titleist woods, Ping irons, Vokey wedges, Mizuno putter and a Srixon bag. Each one is selected on the basis that it performs the best for me.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome back

Doesnt make any sense to me at all, why would I not use the irons and wedges I like the most because the brand doesnt produce a putter I get on with (for eg)? different clubs have different jobs find the best example of each for you and dont worry whats written on the underside that you cant see when hitting shots anyway :)

If you want one brand for ocd like tendancies or tour pro wannabeitis thats your choice but ultimately you make buying your clubs much much harder. What happens when you want to put one club on the naughty step? do you go and buy a whole new set up from another brand?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not OCD per se as I have a Nike putter and use Srixon Z stars, but literally everything else in my bag (including the bag!) is Mizuno. It’s pathetic but I just bloody love mizuno and fortunately, I get on with my clubs most of the time.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No I don't think like that :ROFLMAO:

Problem is, very few manufacturers make everything. You are limiting yourself to only 4 or 5 brands. Nothing wrong with a mixed bag. I have Titleist woods, Ping irons, Vokey wedges, Mizuno putter and a Srixon bag. Each one is selected on the basis that it performs the best for me.
My bag from 2015 has 5 brands in it. Didn’t worry me in slightest

But it’s like something is different in my head now about everything must match. It’s very strange and as I said not worrying but slightly concerning at the same time as it feels I’ve developed something odd in the intervening years

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My bag from 2015 has 5 brands in it. Didn’t worry me in slightest

But it’s like something is different in my head now about everything must match. It’s very strange and as I said not worrying but slightly concerning at the same time as it feels I’ve developed something odd in the intervening years
Buy different manufacturers but then get wood and iron covers so you think they match ???

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think most of us at one point or another were single brand players especially when new or fresh to the game. As time goes on you realise it’s about what suits not what matches.

Mines a mix but not as mixed as some ive seen, one thing I’m a stickler for is matching wedges but this is mainly due to weight

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I had an all Mizuno bag once, as said above, I love Mizuno.

I didn't intend to have an all Mizuno bag I just kept on chopping and changing until I was just a putter or something short, so I deliberately bought the last bits to complete the set.

It felt really weird, the complete opposite of you if you like. It wasn't long before I started shifting stuff, to the point where I had nothing Mizuno at all, although I have had at least a couple of other Mizuno sets in the bag since that time.

I can say that I am OCD about looking after my equipment. And to those people who say "it's just a chunk of metal, and it's going to get battered anyway", I would just respond, aye ok.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I've got a completely mixed bag. I use whatever works.

Currently I have Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cleveland and Odyssey. Although the Cleveland is going as soon as my new Ping wedges come back from being adjusted.

My FiL has to have a matching set for reasons I can't fathom. Even down to the bag and umbrella. It usually stsrts with a new driver.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not had all matching since my first set of golf clubs so that is 35 years ago.

Never seen the point really. Buy clubs that suit you rather than they look good.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have not had all matching since my first set of golf clubs so that is 35 years ago.

Never seen the point really. Buy clubs that suit you rather than they look good.
What if they suit you, look good and just happen to be made by one manufacturer?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What if they suit you, look good and just happen to be made by one manufacturer?

My thing is that apart from some of the irons I tend to buy one club at a time. Even the irons are not all matching in my clubs just the 7-PW at the moment. I find clubs that I really like and stick with hence the 6 iron coming from an older set. Even all my wedges are mixed makes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's good to be that way, as said above you're limiting yourself a lot. Some brands will be known for making great woods but not known for their wedges (let's say Cobra for example), others like Cleveland known for great wedges, not as much for their irons or drivers though perhaps. Although if you trust a particular brand there's nothing wrong with going and getting their other gear for your bag I suppose. I usually match in terms of; I liked my 5 wood so I bought the same club in a 7 wood, and the same with my hybrids which are both the same model. I liked my first Cleveland wedges so I bought Cleveland for my other wedges as well. But to match the entire bag from top to bottom just doesn't feel necessary to me. I think that makes you a 'fan boy'. :LOL:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I have ended up with a bag from one manufacturer, but it wasn't intended. Even the bag (the Titleist cart bag that looks like a tour bag) but that's because I prefer a 6-way top to the 14-way individual club type, and it seems to be the only the that sits well on a trolley.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mixed bag for me, I didn't get all the clubs at once and I got fitted/tested a couple of brands with each fitting. I went with what was best for me - looks/feel/price/performance.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm in the process of rebuilding my bag after clubs got stolen with my car!!!

I started with a set of Cleveland launcher HB irons. Loved them at the range and a couple of rounds last summer..

Then got the Cleveland cbx2 52 and 58 wedge.. And it has developed into a bot of fandom as they all exceed expectations and are that much cheaper than the other majors brands.

So off the back of that I have just ordered a Turbo launcher 3 wood and Halo Hybrid... Looks like I will end up with a Taylor made bag full of Cleveland clubs.;)

Then I will have to change my bag:cool:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to be like that, but both my sets are mixed bags now. I used to be OCD about grips ... when I replaced them they had to be the same as the ones that came on the clubs originally, but I’ve managed to shake that one off. My only OCDish thing now is that for drivers, fairways, hybrids and putter, I need to have the original design headcover.

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm similar in the fact i'm building a spare bag and they all have to be Japanese. Got the irons, wedges and putter, just need the woods now.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I think i am headed that way , first had ping irons , cobra driver and fairway wood , traded my old irons to newer ones but kept the
driver and wood but am increasingly drawn to the Ping G425 stuff . All kept in a Ping bag :unsure: maybe i am a bit OCD and its
getting worse .