Solheim Cup 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, you've got a free putt in a match. The cardinal sin is leaving it short. However, hitting the ball 30 foot past the cup is also not much use. What is going on!????
I can’t understand it either. There is no way a putt going 15-20 feet by is dropping even in the event it hits the hole. Really poor thinking.
I've moaned about this before because it really winds me up - although normally more of an amatuer problem! Most notably my matchplay partner. 😣 A putt to make birdie when a par is secured, think "right, a free shot at this, better not leave it short" and then smash it 12 foot past. How's that going to go in? What a waste of time. 😂 It really annoys me. I tried to explain to said matchplay partner, why not just putt to make the putt every single time, the same way regardless of what it's for? He didn't really get it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ohh my, the coverage is even more horrific today.

1. When I tune in to watch a big golf event, like the Ryder Cup, I will probably not have my "Queen Greatest Hits" album playing in the background. My music will be off, and I'll focus on the golf. Well, the Solheim Cup is effectively playing music in the background, loudly, and I can't turn it off. Absolutely horrifically irritating.

2. Sometimes the footage of a putt places the camera close to putting surface. Quite good for short putts, but Absolutely pointless for longer putts. And actually problematic, because you can't tell from that angle how far the ball had ended from the hole.

3. Back to No.1, just switched it off for a while as they are playing some repetitive dance tune that I just can't take anymore

Swango1980

Visit site
Cuts out the music and the drivel....
Just tried it, and to be fair made it so so much better. It us unfortunate they've ruined the coverage of the Solheim Cup to make this the solution.

Also, is McGinley the guru on match play? He seems to waste no opportunity to speak to tell us about the mentality of match play. It is almost like he knows nothing about ladies golf or the players involved, so he just keeps talking about match play.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are we playing McGinley bingo? I’ll go first, ‘2 balls in play, 2 balls in play’.

As for leaving free putts short or rattling them past, whenever I’m playing a team match and my pp offers to putt their’s to give me a freebie, I always say no. Makes no difference to me and if anything I end up hitting it too fast for the break. Would rather just read the putt and play it normally. That’s me as a 16er, I guess the pros are a bit better than me!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The tv are always useless at matchplay, it seems in normal events they just jump all over the place to show as many shots as possible, the format helps them as the most important shots near the business end dont have many players on the course, so you cant really go wrong. The tension builds itself.

They use the same formula for matchplay which just breaks the tension and you lose any thread of how the matches are going. Ive lost count of hown many times we see players knock it on the green then never even see them putt, especially in the singles...

This would be the perfect format to take some time and get into the caddy/ teammate conversations

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tv are always useless at matchplay, it seems in normal events they just jump all over the place to show as many shots as possible, the format helps them as the most important shots near the business end dont have many players on the course, so you cant really go wrong. The tension builds itself.

They use the same formula for matchplay which just breaks the tension and you lose any thread of how the matches are going. Ive lost count of hown many times we see players knock it on the green then never even see them putt, especially in the singles...

This would be the perfect format to take some time and get into the caddy/ teammate conversations

Agreed. Or maybe a split screen option. So you could follow a match in isolation if you choose and flit into the others between shots. So the viewer picks not the broadcaster.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Ohh my, the coverage is even more horrific today.

1. When I tune in to watch a big golf event, like the Ryder Cup, I will probably not have my "Queen Greatest Hits" album playing in the background. My music will be off, and I'll focus on the golf. Well, the Solheim Cup is effectively playing music in the background, loudly, and I can't turn it off. Absolutely horrifically irritating.
3. Back to No.1, just switched it off for a while as they are playing some repetitive dance tune that I just can't take anymore
You’d hate liv. All you can hear is the base banging away all around the course. I’ve always said I can’t understand the music for something that is mainly a tv viewer sport but at least it’s just on the first and surrounding holes here

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If you think the plonker McGinly and the droning Micky Walker are bad on Sky, just try listening to the absolute slice of an American that the BBC have wasted my licence fee on in their highlights. Jeez.
Don’t start me about a mandatory license fee!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are we playing McGinley bingo? I’ll go first, ‘2 balls in play, 2 balls in play’.

As for leaving free putts short or rattling them past, whenever I’m playing a team match and my pp offers to putt their’s to give me a freebie, I always say no. Makes no difference to me and if anything I end up hitting it too fast for the break. Would rather just read the putt and play it normally. That’s me as a 16er, I guess the pros are a bit better than me!
This is what I was saying, and something I learned from Bob Rotella. You should play every putt with the speed required to hole it - whether it's for win, half or naff all makes absolutely no difference.

Swango1980

Visit site

I'm not so sure. I think some of the best broadcast golf I've ever watched is Ryder Cup. And the last Solheim Cup was excellent as far as I remember.

I just think they've messed this one up.