Visit site
Just help you out understand the difference

Here is a t shirt

View attachment 27834

See the low level on the neck

And here the turtle neck worn by woods

View attachment 27835

See where the collar is

So there you go - Woods wore a turtle neck golf top , not a t shirt 👍 happy to help

Why didn’t your mate ask the club or find out the dress code like most seasonable do before they visit ? Everyone knows clubs have varying levels of dress code - common sense is to find out what it is
Thanks for that Phil 😂

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes but it's not just dress code that some of these people want to change Ian :unsure:
It would be a start though.
At the end of the day I'm not wailing and knashing my teeth over what colour socks can or can't be worn.
I just don't the logic behind it and if I can't see the logic behind something I need it to be explained and if it can't be explained I find it randomly irritating...maybe I could start a thread.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It would be a start though.
At the end of the day I'm not wailing and knashing my teeth over what colour socks can or can't be worn.
I just don't the logic behind it and if I can't see the logic behind something I need it to be explained and if it can't be explained I find it randomly irritating...maybe I could start a thread.
😂😂
Looks like you’re going to be irritated,because no one seems to be able to explain it.
Other than “them’s the rules”

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I didn't raise the point paddy, someone else did.

Anyway, this has been debated to death on here and I'm bored with it now. It is what it is.
Alas I'm not paddy, he's off making an absolute ton of cash from brexit. If you want to get in touch with him, PM me your email and I can forward it to him, I do know he is very busy so may not have time to play any golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just help you out understand the difference

Here is a t shirt

View attachment 27834

See the low level on the neck

And here the turtle neck worn by woods

View attachment 27835

See where the collar is

So there you go - Woods wore a turtle neck golf top , not a t shirt 👍 happy to help

Why didn’t your mate ask the club or find out the dress code like most seasonable do before they visit ? Everyone knows clubs have varying levels of dress code - common sense is to find out what it is

Moral of the story - always check what’s required before attending , that saves being asked to change.
He's only recently joined the society. Like me, he's only played 20-30 pound courses before, and he was expecting just to turn and play golf - not unreasonably in my view. Unlike me he doesn't frequent a forum such as this one, I honestly believe he would have had no idea that such a preposterous rule about socks would ever exist. Like most golfers he wears collars, tailored shorts and golf shoes which should be enough really.

You still haven't come up with sensible reason why people should be made to wear white socks I see.

And you can be as pedantic as you like, adding 3 more millimetres to the height of the neck doesn't make a t-shirt no longer a t-shirt. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

He's only recently joined the society. Like me, he's only played 20-30 pound courses before, and he was expecting just to turn and play golf - not unreasonably in my view. Unlike me he doesn't frequent a forum such as this one, I honestly believe he would have had no idea that such a preposterous rule about socks would ever exist. Like most golfers he wears collars, tailored shorts and golf shoes which should be enough really.

You still haven't come up with sensible reason why people should be made to wear white socks I see.

And you can be as pedantic as you like, adding 3 more millimetres to the height of the neck doesn't make a t-shirt no longer a t-shirt. :LOL:

Because it’s the rules of the club and it’s rules they have determined and what they want to see - that’s why

Why they have that rule in the first place is up to them , they may see it as looking smarter and believe it looks better who knows but ultimately it’s their rules and anyone who wants to play at their course must abide by them or play somewhere else. If it causes that much of an issue then not doubt they would look at any rule which is causing issues with visitors but as I reckon 99% of people who visit clubs check first it doesn’t cause any issue in the grand scheme of the sport.

It’s the same with why some nightclubs don’t allow you in with trainers , or some restaurants say no jeans etc etc dress codes for many walks of life

If someone’s doesn’t want abide by any rule a golf club has there is always one that doesn’t have that rule.

Not one person who went to Sunningdale had a single issue with their sock rule which was white socks only , it was fine for me because I think wearing anything other looks completely daft

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Because it’s the rules of the club and it’s rules they have determined and what they want to see - that’s why

Why they have that rule in the first place is up to them , they may see it as looking smarter and believe it looks better who knows but ultimately it’s their rules and anyone who wants to play at their course must abide by them or play somewhere else. If it causes that much of an issue then not doubt they would look at any rule which is causing issues with visitors but as I reckon 99% of people who visit clubs check first it doesn’t cause any issue in the grand scheme of the sport.

It’s the same with why some nightclubs don’t allow you in with trainers , or some restaurants say no jeans etc etc dress codes for many walks of life

If someone’s doesn’t want abide by any rule a golf club has there is always one that doesn’t have that rule.

Not one person who went to Sunningdale had a single issue with their sock rule which was white socks only , it was fine for me because I think wearing anything other looks completely daft
Phil you’re not giving an actual answer,just saying the same thing 🤷‍♂️.

If I night club doesn’t allow trainers,then it doesn’t allow trainers regardless of colour.

You keep banging on about Sunningdale,but people aren’t saying they wouldn’t play a course if they had to wear white socks,we’re simply discussing why this silly rule is in place.
Personally I’d rather wear trainer socks as I think white socks look ridiculous 👍🏻👍🏻

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

In that case it would be a failing of your society (not the golf club you visit) as your society should communicate the conditions of play. You can all then have a jolly good laugh about the silly rules and register your protest by playing somewhere else instead.

It's not complicated. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

*Sigh* there it is again! No sensible reasons, just because a rule is a rule for the sake of rules. If a golf club said everyone must wear Christmas hats or one trouser leg longer than other you wouldn't question as to why? Just blindly accept? I think some people just love to be subservient and told what to do. :LOL:

If someone was wearing black polo shirt, black shorts, and black shoes you think it would be "completely daft" to wear black socks to match? They should wear bright white ones instead?? That is just nonsense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If I night club doesn’t allow trainers,then it doesn’t allow trainers regardless of colour.

You keep banging on about Sunningdale,but people aren’t saying they wouldn’t play a course if they had to wear white socks,we’re simply discussing why this silly rule is in place.
Personally I’d rather wear trainer socks as I think white socks look ridiculous 👍🏻👍🏻
I actually wouldn't play a course that told people what colour socks to wear, I think it's that pathetic that I wouldn't give them the time of day. As the white sock fans keep saying, plenty of places that don't treat you like children, and I'd rather give my money to them.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site

Ah but what colour trainer socks 🤔

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In that case it would be a failing of your society (not the golf club you visit) as your society should communicate the conditions of play. You can all then have a jolly good laugh about the silly rules and register your protest by playing somewhere else instead.

It's not complicated. :)
Yes they probably should have told him. That doesn't mean it's not a farcical policy.

D

Deleted member 15344

*Sigh* there it is again! No sensible reasons, just because a rule is a rule for the sake of rules. If a golf club said everyone must wear Christmas hats or one trouser leg longer than other you wouldn't question as to why? Just blindly accept? I think some people just love to be subservient and told what to do. :LOL:

I just wouldn’t play at the club

I gave you a reason why some clubs maybe have a white sock only rule - because they think it looks smart but demanding an answer to a question that people can’t answer won’t change anything - the only way you will get your answer is by asking the relevant clubs that have the sock rule in question , we can’t answer for them when we don’t know their reason.

If someone was wearing black polo shirt, black shorts, and black shoes you think it would be "completely daft" to wear black socks to match? They should wear bright white ones instead?? That is just nonsense.

I don’t wear black so wouldn’t bother me but be single bit and yes I think coloured socks with golf shoes looks daft regardless of whatever colour shorts etc they wear.