Sock gate (again)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
no. but stories like this live in the memory and non golfers think this stuff is common.
The game has an image problem, or maybe it doesnnt depending on your dress code, sock and blazer point of view.
Non-golfers may think of it as stuffy but the point was about putting people taking up the game. I think if you are interested in playing and taking the game up then you'll go and do it and worry about dress codes if and when you are ready to hit the course. It's like a lot of things in life, if you want to do something you will and if not you'll always find an excuse to not do it

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
《snip》One golf fan is supporting the change of socks, however, when commenting: "Most clubs have this rule. Whether we like it or agree, it’s the golfers responsibility to check before leaving the house."《snip》

I wonder who that was... 😉😉😂🤣

Pin-seeker

Visit site
As do most actual golfers I think.

If any golfers would like to give us a reason why it isn’t a silly rule,rather than saying “if you don’t like it you can play elsewhere” that’d be great.

It’s not like anyone on here is actually demanding that the rule is changed,we’re just discussing how silly it is.

Personally I think white socks is a big no no full stop.

Hitdaball

Visit site
If any golfers would like to give us a reason why it isn’t a silly rule,rather than saying “if you don’t like it you can play elsewhere” that’d be great.

It’s not like anyone on here is actually demanding that the rule is changed,we’re just discussing how silly it is.

Personally I think white socks is a big no no full stop.

My wife, who runs half marathons, has taken to wearing those socks that have individual toe pockets like gloves. That really is the only socks too far line I have, whatever colour they are 😬

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Because someone decided in 1850 it was a good idea?
And maybe confirmed it every year or so since!

I've even got a pair of long white socks that I take to 'posh' clubs like the next Open venue, just in case! In the case of RSG, I know they have reqd long white socks in the past. So, as mentioned above...It's their Club/Rules, so, as a visitor, I'll obey - even if I think it's stuffy/daft!

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I've even got a pair of long white socks that I take to 'posh' clubs like the next Open venue, just in case! In the case of RSG, I know they have reqd long white socks in the past.
Yeah but you’re a G so can obviously pull it off 😉

Hitdaball

Visit site

I've even got a pair of long white socks that I take to 'posh' clubs like the next Open venue, just in case! In the case of RSG, I know they have reqd long white socks in the past.

Sure, see my Brancaster comment. And like most I’d take the time to read what is required and comply if I want to play.

But what’s the point on the first place of the white sock rule?

D

Deleted member 15344

As do most actual golfers I think.
Do they ? Many golfers I have played with don’t seem to mind and they certainly don’t see it as a problem when going to visit a course - we have just finished a meet at one of the most exclusive clubs in the country and it attracted over 100 golfers - the club has a strict dress code but it didn’t put people off ?
The "to save embarrassment" quotes are hilarious. It is these clubs and their silly little power play rules that are an embarrassment to the game.

Why is it power play rules ? Do you not think they just want to have a standard of dress ? Same with certain restaurants or night clubs or pick anywhere that you have a dress code.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Do they ? Many golfers I have played with don’t seem to mind and they certainly don’t see it as a problem when going to visit a course - we have just finished a meet at one of the most exclusive clubs in the country and it attracted over 100 golfers - the club has a strict dress code but it didn’t put people off ?

Why is it power play rules ? Do you not think they just want to have a standard of dress ? Same with certain restaurants or night clubs or pick anywhere that you have a dress code.

Again Phillip,why is the rule in place?
You can wear any colour T-shirt,any colour shorts,but the socks must be white 🤔

Why?

D

Deleted Member 1156

How do you know that stuffy rules like this don’t put people off taking up the game?
All the young kids at my club seem to love wearing the same gear as the pros on TV. No evidence that dress codes are putting them off, seems to be a made up excuse that anti dress code fans love to trot out.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do footballers wear kits?
Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
Why do soldiers wear uniforms?
Why do rockers wear leather?
Why do punks wear safety pins?
Why do African Maasai people wear red?

Why do people keep asking this question when the answer is obvious: because we're human. It's human nature to live together in packs and we like to identify and advertise ourselves as belonging within that pack to other humans.

The counter argument of "the young don't like dress codes" is a nonsense - ask any kid if they wear the uniform of their football-club/people/service/music/etc and you'll just come across as stupid because of course they do.

Dress codes are part of life. Deal with it or go and find a different tribe to belong to.

In my opinion. ;)

Hitdaball

Visit site
All the young kids at my club seem to love wearing the same gear as the pros on TV. No evidence that dress codes are putting them off, seems to be a made up excuse that anti dress code fans love to trot out.

So does your club allows T shirts and hoods then?

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Can’t remember the last time I saw Pros playing in shorts tbh.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Why do footballers wear kits?
Why do Scotsmen wear kilts?
Why do soldiers wear uniforms?
Why do rockers wear leather?
Why do punks wear safety pins?
Why do African Maasai people wear red?

Why do people keep asking this question when the answer is obvious: because we're human. It's human nature to live together in packs and we like to identify and advertise ourselves as belonging within that pack to other humans.

The counter argument of "the young don't like dress codes" is a nonsense - ask any kid if they wear the uniform of their football-club/people/service/music/etc and you'll just come across as stupid because of course they do.

Dress codes are part of life. Deal with it or go and find a different tribe to belong to.

In my opinion. ;)
That would be all good if the course required a certain uniform.
Like white polo,blue shorts,white socks.

But just white socks 🤷‍♂️