Sock gate (again)

D

Deleted member 15344

They certainly are manufactured for Gold - take a T shirt , get woods to wear it , call it a turtleneck (that would be a turtle with a Chronically short neck) and charge double for it 😂

My own club doesn’t know why they have the rule, I asked 😀.

Woods didn’t wear a t shirt

Years ago he wore turtle neck tops but many did before him , over the last couple of years some pros have been wearing collarless polo shirts ( the difference is the style and the buttons ) but neither are t shirts

Again I didn’t hear you complaining about the dress code at Sunningdale which has a white sock rule

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Years ago he wore turtle neck tops but many did before him , over the last couple of years some pros have been wearing collarless polo shirts ( the difference is the style and the buttons ) but neither are t shirts

Again I didn’t hear you complaining about the dress code at Sunningdale which has a white sock rule

Jeez chill out Phil.
No one is saying they’re going to start complaining to clubs as to why they must wear white socks.

We’re simply discussing it on a golf forum 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Similar happened to my mate recently. He's started playing with a society, a course he went to recently he had paid his green fee, waiting to tee off and the starter says he can't play because he's got black socks on. Literally made him go all the way back to the pro shop and buy a three pack of Under Armor socks for a no doubt extortionate fee, nearly missing his tee time altogether in the process.

It's an absolute farce that this is still happening in 2019, honestly. As others have said there is simply no logical reason to ban non-white socks other than an excuse to be pompous and talk down to fully grown adults as if they're children.

Agree that this potentially puts people off the game as well. That post is obviously doing the rounds on Twitter, and a non-golf mate may see that and incredulously ask me if it really happens. And I want to say "no, never" but I'd have to embarrassingly admit that in fact some places do dictate what colour socks you can wear, for no other reason than to talk down to someone. Pathetic.

sunshine

Visit site

Call it a turtle neck if you want, Woods won the Masters this year wearing a red t shirt.

Emperors new clothes?

Hitdaball

Visit site

As I said earlier - I read the rules and stick to them. Same at my club. The discussion was where does the nonsense come from in the first place but I’m beginning to form an opinion on that 😜

In any case with my varicose veins I rarely rock shorts anyway so as not to repulse the natives😆

It’s pointless to get into an argument of
Semantics of what a T Shirt is - I have a feeling we would never agree.

7E84510E-B301-4EDE-9B34-E0678246D9A8.jpegCA9B4B54-4317-4C90-952F-E383FBD84A1A.jpeg

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I often wonder what attracted some of the people on this forum to golf in the first place when all they want to do is change it.
At the risk of legitimising your ridiculous question - I got into golf to play a social sport with my pals and other like minded blokes, not so I can be told what colour socks I have to wear. Dear oh dear.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I often wonder what attracted some of the people on this forum to golf in the first place when all they want to do is change it.
To be fair, Golf is constantly changing and has been for decades?
Rules, equipment, clothing have all changed down the years.
A lot of clubs now allow smart jeans and, God forbid, trainers in the clubhouse when in the not too distant past it was jackets and ties and brightly polished shoes.
Times and rules change, bit it appears this one is in for the long haul.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
All the young kids at my club seem to love wearing the same gear as the pros on TV. No evidence that dress codes are putting them off, seems to be a made up excuse that anti dress code fans love to trot out.
Ah the extreme and ultimately pointless post. The question is specifically about white socks and why some courses won't accept anything else

D

Deleted Member 1156

A lot of clubs now allow smart jeans and, God forbid, trainers in the clubhouse when in the not too distant past it was jackets and ties and brightly polished shoes.
Yes but it's not just dress code that some of these people want to change Ian :unsure:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Imagine Ricky fowler rocking up 20 years ago at Sunningdale

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ah the extreme and ultimately pointless post. The question is specifically about white socks and why some courses won't accept anything else
I didn't raise the point paddy, someone else did.

Anyway, this has been debated to death on here and I'm bored with it now. It is what it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

Call it a turtle neck if you want, Woods won the Masters this year wearing a red t shirt.

Emperors new clothes?

Just help you out understand the difference

Here is a t shirt

0BFA3EBC-74CA-4ADB-B50A-52989214DE98.jpeg

See the low level on the neck

And here the turtle neck worn by woods

16B122C1-7C30-43D2-A185-4FFD6C0A3D04.jpeg

See where the collar is

So there you go - Woods wore a turtle neck golf top , not a t shirt 👍 happy to help
Similar happened to my mate recently. He's started playing with a society, a course he went to recently he had paid his green fee, waiting to tee off and the starter says he can't play because he's got black socks on. Literally made him go all the way back to the pro shop and buy a three pack of Under Armor socks for a no doubt extortionate fee, nearly missing his tee time altogether in the process.

It's an absolute farce that this is still happening in 2019, honestly. As others have said there is simply no logical reason to ban non-white socks other than an excuse to be pompous and talk down to fully grown adults as if they're children.

Agree that this potentially puts people off the game as well. That post is obviously doing the rounds on Twitter, and a non-golf mate may see that and incredulously ask me if it really happens. And I want to say "no, never" but I'd have to embarrassingly admit that in fact some places do dictate what colour socks you can wear, for no other reason than to talk down to someone. Pathetic.

Why didn’t your mate ask the club or find out the dress code like most seasonable do before they visit ? Everyone knows clubs have varying levels of dress code - common sense is to find out what it is

Moral of the story - always check what’s required before attending , that saves being asked to change.