So ... Bryson Dechambeau

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wouldn't be the first time

There just have been a procession of these Amatuers on a yearly basis - the percentage of them that actually go on to do well appears to be small.

Just with all the hype and club deals etc - can see it being a bit of damp squid. He may even win early - like Tom Lewis for example but then fade away.

Certainly see soon enough

:whoo:

Haha! I love a good damp squid!

Back on topic though, I think he'll do ok. If he can do it at Augusta he's obviously got something about his game, for one he can putt. He's also done ok at some other big events so this is more than a one off.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
all the talk of Brysons clubs has been about the length ,have you seen how thick his grips are?
they are huge.

I like the hat... always been a big Payne Stewart fan so like the tribute. I have actually got a few as my wife likes me in them.

So his clubs are all about 7 iron length (for him, think hes quite tall) but he also has ultra fat grips and holds the club right through his palm not through his fingers like Moe Norman (another guy I love). Each iron head is the same weight and that is the tricky part. His Adel irons have changed from when I was first following him and I have spotted some metal disks in the back, toe of the clubs, perhaps these are weights. His explanation is that he has one spine angle for every iron/wedge swing so his PW practice is the same as his 4 Iron swing.

Tom Wishon has made and is selling single length/weight iron sets now, you can read about them and chat to Tom on WRX. For sure the loft gaps are larger but its worth noting that Bryson is also a strong player. Single length are not going to be the way to go for most.

The swing looks odd as its a true one plane swing set up with that very different gripping of the club.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a feeling that he is going to disappear as a pro

Dunno if he will disappear but I would be a bit sceptical that he can live up to the hype. He has a lot of game, but so do a lot of others and there have been a few can't miss anatuers who gave missed big time. His brand of confidence and all his references to George Washington and Einstein set him up higher for the fall. The club length thing is interesting. It seems logical but if it was really the answer would we not have seen many others do it already? Many of the club designers have physics and engineering training and could have reached the same conclusions if there was something in it. Maybe something in it for long irons but I can't see them being as effective in the short irons. And why doesn't he have driver, fairway and hybrid the same length as each other?

I see him winning a few Tour events but not being a leading figure in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Hope he does well, always good to have some different..makes it more interesting.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hope he does ok this week, I've got him 66/1 each way!

I was surprised cobra signed him with the " using mostly cobra clubs " release, other than the woods, everything is edel

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I expect he'll have a set of custom cobra irons soon enough. He's already been playing a prototype set of Cobras but went back to his edels. Might take a few iterations to get them just right.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I expect he'll have a set of custom cobra irons soon enough. He's already been playing a prototype set of Cobras but went back to his edels. Might take a few iterations to get them just right.

He might also still be bound to Edel for a while. I suspect they did not build that set for him with no strings attached at all.

D

Deleted member 18588

He might also still be bound to Edel for a while. I suspect they did not build that set for him with no strings attached at all.

As he would not, under the rules of Amateur Status, been able to sign a "club" contract it is hard to see how he could be bound to Edel.

In any event there would be no particular problems to them in building a set of irons using their standard forgings but uniform length shafts plus oversize grips with extra tape.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
tied 25th and 4 off the lead in his first professional start. Will be keeping an eye on the weekend. Nice to see Luke Donald tied for the lead though.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As he would not, under the rules of Amateur Status, been able to sign a "club" contract it is hard to see how he could be bound to Edel.

In any event there would be no particular problems to them in building a set of irons using their standard forgings but uniform length shafts plus oversize grips with extra tape.

Standard? How the heck to you bend 13 degrees upright, without murdering the loft and bounce angles?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
tied 25th and 4 off the lead in his first professional start. Will be keeping an eye on the weekend. Nice to see Luke Donald tied for the lead though.

I wonder if Luke Donald looks at Jordan Speith and thinks, "that could have been me"? Similar strengths, short game, putting, irons, similar weakness, short off the tee compared to the bombers. Why did he mess with his swing? He was world no 1 and winning big tournaments. I know he was not winning majors but that may have come. He tried to change his swing to add extra length and he has become another jobbing pro when he could be so much more. Go back to your old swing and win again. Hopefully he will keep it together over the weekend.