So ... Bryson Dechambeau

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Luke Donald looks at Jordan Speith and thinks, "that could have been me"? Similar strengths, short game, putting, irons, similar weakness, short off the tee compared to the bombers. Why did he mess with his swing? He was world no 1 and winning big tournaments. I know he was not winning majors but that may have come. He tried to change his swing to add extra length and he has become another jobbing pro when he could be so much more. Go back to your old swing and win again. Hopefully he will keep it together over the weekend.

Indeed. Luke was flying the flag for those who aren't as long, and proving those who say distance is everything spectacularly wrong, especially with the World No.1 status. The major may well have come you're right, I remember thinking about Justin Rose before every major, "Rosey is due a major" and finally come quite a bit later.

Luke Donald's iron play was an absolute pleasure to watch when he was going through that purple patch, and most likely still is his major strength. Glad he's hosting the British Masters this year.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Luke Donald looks at Jordan Speith and thinks, "that could have been me"? Similar strengths, short game, putting, irons, similar weakness, short off the tee compared to the bombers. Why did he mess with his swing? He was world no 1 and winning big tournaments. I know he was not winning majors but that may have come. He tried to change his swing to add extra length and he has become another jobbing pro when he could be so much more. Go back to your old swing and win again. Hopefully he will keep it together over the weekend.

Thing is Donald was and still is both short and crooked with the driver. He is near to the bottom of the pile in both length and accuracy. He was always quite a bit worse with the driver than Speith ever has been, Speith's driving is middling but his approach play and short game are exceptional. Donald in his pomp shared some of those attributes, but was always putting himself in trouble off the tee.
He is also about 10 yards short of Speith on average.

D

Deleted member 15344

Donald's issue was his length of the tee - it was his accuracy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Luke Donald's strength was always inside 120 yards.

Very much like Zach Johnson IMO.

Not the longest but deadly on, and around, the green.

Moving to Chuck Cook was the worst thing he ever did, dropping him and moving back to Pat Goss was one of the better things he did recently.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Donald (pre swing changes) wasn't particularly short - on average - only 10 yards or so shorter than being rather long. however, he didn't really have headroom for really big ones when it was really needed, which is likely to be both the cause of his waywardness and his search for greater length by changing swing.

And I don't believe anyone who was #1 in the world without winning a Major would be satisfied without at least making an effort to win one (or more)! There's really no incentive for someone in his position otherwise!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
FH - I get your point but his swing as it was took him to No 1 in the world. He just needed patience. It seemed he would blow up in in the first round of majors as he put too much pressure on himself. Perhaps he did not need a swing change, more a sports psychologist. A golfers swing is everything and to change it is a major gamble and I don't thing he needed to make that gamble. Same with Kaymer.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
As he would not, under the rules of Amateur Status, been able to sign a "club" contract it is hard to see how he could be bound to Edel.

In any event there would be no particular problems to them in building a set of irons using their standard forgings but uniform length shafts plus oversize grips with extra tape.

It would be a huge problem as has been covered in this post a number of times. Weight and lie. You cant make a set of single length irons with a normal set of heads.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would be a huge problem as has been covered in this post a number of times. Weight and lie. You cant make a set of single length irons with a normal set of heads.

You can but by the end they won't be normal heads ;). Think Bryson talks about haveing started his quest with an old set of Nikes. Had to grind the heavier heads and lead tape the lighter head to get them all to the same weight.

D

Deleted member 18588

About three or four days work. Standard heads weight adjusted with tungsten plugs and bent and ground to spec.

Not exactly cost Edel a fortune for the publicity they have received prior to him signing for Cobra.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
FH - I get your point but his swing as it was took him to No 1 in the world. He just needed patience. It seemed he would blow up in in the first round of majors as he put too much pressure on himself. Perhaps he did not need a swing change, more a sports psychologist. A golfers swing is everything and to change it is a major gamble and I don't thing he needed to make that gamble. Same with Kaymer.

In that case, I don't think you really did get my point!

As for Kaymer! Changing to a draw swing to target a single tournament (The Masters) always seemed rather daft - and I'm pleased that he eventually saw the light.

Even stranger was Paddy retaining his Open title, winning the next Major, then changing his swing!

What actually motivates these guys is something many don't understand - I have seen the calloused hands of several aspiring, near successful and a couple of successful players, so know how dedicated they are!

Back to Bryson.... He is simply focused on what works for him. I'm certain he's going to do well, though the touring regime is always a barrier to overcome in the first year or so. He seems strong-willed enough to negotiate that challenge though - his commitment to 'one size' clubs demonstrating that determination - and the US circuit is probably less demanding (logistics-wise) for US (based) guys anyway!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
About three or four days work. Standard heads weight adjusted with tungsten plugs and bent and ground to spec.

Not exactly cost Edel a fortune for the publicity they have received prior to him signing for Cobra.

He still has the Edel irons though.

I'm sure that Cobra may have some prototypes on the design table for him though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hasn't used the Cobra prototypes since the Georgia Cup. Obviously still not happy with them.

Edel's still in the bag this week.

No doubt in time, he will move over to a full bag of Cobra once they get the spec to his liking.

:rolleyes:

From the link....

'Although Cobra-Puma reported DeChambeau will play the RBC Heritage with his familiar Edel prototype irons, we spotted single-length Cobra King CB and MB prototype irons made for him, while live at the event.'

Likewise, i can't see him simply abandoning the clubs he has taken so much time to fine tune to his satisfaction - and is particularly fastidious (anal) about how they play/feel.

I'm certain there'll be a lot of time spent with Cobra sorting out his particular needs.

Not actually sure what Cobra (part of Puma, his clothing sponsor) hope to gain out of the relationship! Driver, FWs certainly; wedges - maybe. But the irons are so unique that it's hardly worth it - except to maybe say 'we can fit anyone, even the really finnicky!!'. Might have been simpler for Puma to 'acquire' Edel!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:rolleyes:

From the link....

'Although Cobra-Puma reported DeChambeau will play the RBC Heritage with his familiar Edel prototype irons, we spotted single-length Cobra King CB and MB prototype irons made for him, while live at the event.'

Likewise, i can't see him simply abandoning the clubs he has taken so much time to fine tune to his satisfaction - and is particularly fastidious (anal) about how they play/feel.

I'm certain there'll be a lot of time spent with Cobra sorting out his particular needs.

Not actually sure what Cobra (part of Puma, his clothing sponsor) hope to gain out of the relationship! Driver, FWs certainly; wedges - maybe. But the irons are so unique that it's hardly worth it - except to maybe say 'we can fit anyone, even the really finnicky!!'. Might have been simpler for Puma to 'acquire' Edel!!!

Far more likely if he becomes the star many think he will they will suddenly have demand for single length irons sets and be the only OEM who are able to offer them to the public, at least short term, as sooner rather than later they will have produced a set that he plays with week in week out.

Basically theyre taking a gamble that they may get first mover advantage in a new iron market if he is hugely successful

D

Deleted member 16999

Far more likely if he becomes the star many think he will they will suddenly have demand for single length irons sets and be the only OEM who are able to offer them to the public, at least short term, as sooner rather than later they will have produced a set that he plays with week in week out.

Basically theyre taking a gamble that they may get first mover advantage in a new iron market if he is hugely successful

Just seen his 2nd round post interview with Tim Barter, came across very well and the message he seems to be selling is simply that everyones swing is different and people should discover what works for them, by him using irons the way he does he's took a lot of technicality out of the swing and made it mechanically less complicated.
Will be interesting to follow and good to see someone different out there.