So ... Bryson Dechambeau

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just seen his 2nd round post interview with Tim Barter, came across very well and the message he seems to be selling is simply that everyones swing is different and people should discover what works for them, by him using irons the way he does he's took a lot of technicality out of the swing and made it mechanically less complicated.
Will be interesting to follow and good to see someone different out there.

Whats not to like, think he comes across really well and is clearly a deep thinker. Happy to admit I think the same length iron set is a decent concept, my concern is the impact it then has on the woods, the shaft diff between say driver and long iron becomes even more amplified. For me personally I already have my wedges longer than most and would happily have them 7/8 iron length, just need to learn to hit them with no hands!!! Have sent Wishon a few q's about their recently released set, certainly curious

D

Deleted member 16999

Whats not to like, think he comes across really well and is clearly a deep thinker. Happy to admit I think the same length iron set is a decent concept, my concern is the impact it then has on the woods, the shaft diff between say driver and long iron becomes even more amplified. For me personally I already have my wedges longer than most and would happily have them 7/8 iron length, just need to learn to hit them with no hands!!! Have sent Wishon a few q's about their recently released set, certainly curious

Totally agree, he's good for the game and good to see discussions about equipment rather than private lives or other scandals in a sport

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
:rolleyes:

From the link....

'Although Cobra-Puma reported DeChambeau will play the RBC Heritage with his familiar Edel prototype irons, we spotted single-length Cobra King CB and MB prototype irons made for him, while live at the event.'

Likewise, i can't see him simply abandoning the clubs he has taken so much time to fine tune to his satisfaction - and is particularly fastidious (anal) about how they play/feel.

I'm certain there'll be a lot of time spent with Cobra sorting out his particular needs.

Not actually sure what Cobra (part of Puma, his clothing sponsor) hope to gain out of the relationship! Driver, FWs certainly; wedges - maybe. But the irons are so unique that it's hardly worth it - except to maybe say 'we can fit anyone, even the really finnicky!!'. Might have been simpler for Puma to 'acquire' Edel!!!

Exposure, people talking about them on the internet? ;)

He just fits on with the image they want to portray about them, young, a bit different, has a personality, etc etc. And for some people that will attract them to the brand. Don't most golf companies make more profit from clothes and shoes than clubs anyway so I'm guessing they won't expect top sell many copies of his unique irons anyway.

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
It's probably been said but I'm being lazy, what length are his shafts? In terms of comparing to a standard off the shelf set of irons, where would they be? 5 iron length? 7 iron length?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's probably been said but I'm being lazy, what length are his shafts? In terms of comparing to a standard off the shelf set of irons, where would they be? 5 iron length? 7 iron length?

Pretty sure theyre 37.5" which is between a 6 and 7 iron in standard lengths (if there is such a thing these days)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
He won himself 259,000 $, which is not a bad paycheck for his first pro event. Many a journeyman pro out there who will never get close to that. Also secured himself an excemption for next week's even (which, since he does not have a tour card yet, might be of even more importance to him than the money). I really like him, I hope he can keep this up.