So ... Bryson Dechambeau

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
He now needs to get another top 10 and make a few cuts and he has his card. That needs $750k or 460 FedEx points, and he earned $259k at the RBC.

It was a good thing for him that Jason Kokrak approached the 18th in such an unprofessional manner. He really had given up when the chance to win had gone and that tennis display around the 18th green showed it. His 4th from the rough really was the stroke of a man that couldn't care.

faroyon

Medal Winner
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how things turn out when he's playing for cash (though I suspect he doesn't go short of a bob or two with a name like that).

Initial impression is that he is a bit too full of himself for my liking, but early days and all that.

There was a wonderful moment when Willett came off the 18th, shook hands with Rose and totally blanked BDC who was hanging around trying to be mates....
Nah, not the sort of think Willett would do.

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nah, not the sort of think Willett would do.

I can't see it either, but must've missed it on tele.

As for DeChambeau, he's quite a talent! Great to see him follow up a very respectable T21st Masters performance with T4th at the RBC. Good luck to him, I like him a lot!

Outside chance of a wildcard pick for Ryder Cup? Never know if he keeps progressing.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
no Willet did very quickly shake hands with Bryson before going to the scoring hut.

Bryson was standing behind Chubby Chandler (easy place to get lost) and someone else in a suit who obviously knew Danny well. Chubby and said suit gave Danny huge hugs and as he was still on the move to the scorers hut, he was someway past Bryson when he offered his hand. Bryson obviously did catch Danny's attention and Danny reached back and sort of shook Bryson's hand.

it wasn't really the time or place to introduce yourself to be fair, though i'm sure he meant well. can't remember if they played earlier rounds together or not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Far more likely if he becomes the star many think he will they will suddenly have demand for single length irons sets and be the only OEM who are able to offer them to the public, at least short term, as sooner rather than later they will have produced a set that he plays with week in week out.

Basically theyre taking a gamble that they may get first mover advantage in a new iron market if he is hugely successful

I rejected that reason because it's simply impossible for a high volume OEM to do and get anywhere near right for every golfer! It requires a lot of fitting sessions and 'tinkering' before the 'best' option is found and this is something that cannot be done by a high volume producer!

Here's Barney Adams (a keen innovator) on the subject.
http://www.golfwrx.com/369650/barney-adams-what-i-learned-from-my-single-length-irons-experiment/

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I rejected that reason because it's simply impossible for a high volume OEM to do and get anywhere near right for every golfer! It requires a lot of fitting sessions and 'tinkering' before the 'best' option is found and this is something that cannot be done by a high volume producer!

Here's Barney Adams (a keen innovator) on the subject.
http://www.golfwrx.com/369650/barney-adams-what-i-learned-from-my-single-length-irons-experiment/

No doubt you are right but don't forget most people don't get fitted for their clubs now. Who knows how many people are out there playing with the wrong clubs. Most of us pick a set we like the look off, give the club a wiggle and say thanks I'll have those. Will a one size set be any more wrong than what most people have?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
No doubt you are right but don't forget most people don't get fitted for their clubs now. Who knows how many people are out there playing with the wrong clubs. Most of us pick a set we like the look off, give the club a wiggle and say thanks I'll have those. Will a one size set be any more wrong than what most people have?

From what I've seen, as mentioned by Foxholer, you need some very accurate and in depth custom fitting plus a very fast swing speed to ensure you get proper gapping on same length clubs. I think he swings his 7 iron as fast as a lot of amateurs swing their driver.

I imagine they will work if you don't get custom fitted or you are not a fast swinger, but the distances between your irons will not be much and you will also not be very consistent. As I've said before, I believe they have signed him to enhance the brands image so they can sell clothes, shoes and their current standard range of (very good) clubs, not to sell lots of clubs that are all the same length.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Yes! Unless fitted/tailored for the specifics of the particular golfer! Not only will it have the same 'wrongness' as now, but will have the additional issues that one-length clubs introduce!

I'm always surprised how many different shapes and sizes actually end up with 'standard' as the right length and only a small (and simple) tweak to lie angle being needed. And while Ping have quite a number of different 'dot' setups, I'd bet almost all fit into 3 or 4 that are bunched around 'standard'!

Any further fitting is really only needed for those who really want to optimise the setup. So many choose the clubs on a different basis - and none are really 'wrong'!

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
I have nothing against Dechambeau as its so refreshing to see a player defy convention. What anoys me are some of the forums (not this one i may add). There are people on the interweb who would say Brysons swing is Single Axis and a touch Moe Norman.

Now, you can look on most forums for the age old debate that a swing like this is, and i quote one US forum post, "for those who want to hit it straight and short" and can never be succesful. I have tried Single Axis myself and could never get the hang of it but saw its merits. If you go back on the same forums now, those same people bashing the alternative single axis/single plane swing are now saying it could be the best swing for amateurs, what a difference a good Masters finish makes!. Again i want to stress ive not seen anything on here like this mainly the US forums.

Bryson will go far, i just hope he doesnt get some down on his luck instructor interviewing him when he's in his 60's for his "secret" and turning his swing into a money making mockery like they did with Moe.

Any way, rant over. Im off to calm down now ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well deserved after a birdie birdie finish but you have to say Rodgers lost it big time.

Very damaging snap hook off the 17th with driver then followed up with a poor second. Why the hell he didn't take 3W or smaller I'd never know.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but after watching Bryson Dechambeau last night has his golf swing and putting style defiantly put my teeth on edge, just seems so stiff and mechanical to me, for a PGA player lost could the number of times he was long or missed a green. Am I in a minority?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but after watching Bryson Dechambeau last night has his golf swing and putting style defiantly put my teeth on edge, just seems so stiff and mechanical to me, for a PGA player lost could the number of times he was long or missed a green. Am I in a minority?

It was mentioned a lot in commentary how golf by numbers he was but it's how his mind works best and to be fair to him, irrespective of how ugly the swing looks, how drawn out and complicated the discussions before a shot are and how many greens he missed he was second and shot a 68 last night so he must be doing something right. Not a player I can warm to amittedly

D

Deleted member 21445

There are no pictures on the score card.

2nd against a world class field is impressive.
Does he still use same length clubs??
That has to contribute to his quirky style..

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Horrible swing, horrible putting stroke, horrible length of time he takes, wouldn't be disappointed if he never graced my tv again though heard he said some nice things about me 🤣🤣

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Horrible swing, horrible putting stroke, horrible length of time he takes, wouldn't be disappointed if he never graced my tv again though heard he said some nice things about me 🤣🤣

yes, can't warm to him TBH. plus can't stand these lengthy conversations players have with the caddy about the shot they are about to play

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Agree - just soooo very slow - checking this, that and the other - all the time referring to the pocket encyclopedia he carries about when playing a course. Just too mechanical and 'scientific' for me. Nope - not a fan.