Slow play moaners

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s heading that way. Practicing 3-4 times a week at the moment and getting coached. Only a matter of time before I break 100 and the Handicap goes down.

That's the spirit.

Once you break 100 you'll be aiming for level 5's - 90. After that you'll be wanting that sub 90 and so on. Just remember you will probably hit a stagnation period but don't give up and keep doing what your doing as you will pull on through.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We were all new starters once and, I dare say, all put a 15 on a card too. The game needs people, and we all like to see our subs as low as is reasonable. New starters will make mistakes, even basic things like where they leave their bag when they are putting. If established players don't help them what will be the outcome?

After a torturous round with a new starter why not invite them out for 9 holes of an evening or quiet afternoon. We've all been there and, maybe, that new starter you help will be the player who helps you win the 4 ball k'out next season.
Me and my mate took out our newbie friend one evening and we agreed that he’d play the shots we told him to play and we’d explain why - he was struggling to break 115. He broke 100. Nothing to do with his golf - simply he didn’t really know how to manage his way around our course. And he never looked back.

Siolag

Visit site
That's the spirit.

Once you break 100 you'll be aiming for level 5's - 90. After that you'll be wanting that sub 90 and so on. Just remember you will probably hit a stagnation period but don't give up and keep doing what your doing as you will pull on through.

Yeah, I fully expect that to come. At that point it'll be where practice needs to be more specific and Ill know where I drop shots, particularly on my own course.

If I break 100 in the next 4-5 weeks I will be submitting a supplementary card to make sure my handicap is fair for the medals starting.

Wolf

Visit site
Well there's certainly been some enlightening comments in this thread.. Re: Slow play as long your keeping pace, playing ready golf and allowing any group behind that's quicker or your possibly holding up, call them through.

Regards to some people attitude towards handicap, further proof some golfers think they're superior to others or others shouldn't be playing because their handicap is to High is quite a sad state of affairs.. If you have paid your subs, have a handicap or need to get one then you should be allowed to play. I couldn't careless if i play with 2 handicap or a 52 handicapped player, as long as they're a decent person and keep up with oace of play and like a chat I'd happily mark their card and encourage them all the way round.

Siolag

Visit site
Well there's certainly been some enlightening comments in this thread.. Re: Slow play as long your keeping pace, playing ready golf and allowing any group behind that's quicker or your possibly holding up, call them through.

Regards to some people attitude towards handicap, further proof some golfers think they're superior to others or others shouldn't be playing because their handicap is to High is quite a sad state of affairs.. If you have paid your subs, have a handicap or need to get one then you should be allowed to play. I couldn't careless if i play with 2 handicap or a 52 handicapped player, as long as they're a decent person and keep up with oace of play and like a chat I'd happily mark their card and encourage them all the way round.

Refreshing, and the same attitude I have. Thankfully most of the members at my club are similar. I am sure I will be in the same position one day, and can relate my experiences.

A point I feel was missed is that despite me taking almost double the shots of the rest of the field, we still kept up with the group in front the whole way round.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He should keep his opinions to himself.
If a player asks that’s different ,but saying something like that unsolicited is not on imo.
Try chipping with the hybrid ( as long as there’s nothing in the way) it’s a great shot to have.
Practice it first as the ball pings of them more than an iron and it’s shank proof.

Yes - when I started people could see I was struggling and were keen to give me advice. In reality you end up with conflicting info and it's probably not going to be that useful. I certainly don't do it and only advice to new players is to get the Ben Hogan Book, the 5 lessons - read it and try to understand it then get a few lessons.

Wolf

Visit site
Refreshing, and the same attitude I have. Thankfully most of the members at my club are similar. I am sure I will be in the same position one day, and can relate my experiences.

A point I feel was missed is that despite me taking almost double the shots of the rest of the field, we still kept up with the group in front the whole way round.
End of the day ita a game and hobby meant to enjoyed by all that play it. I don't care what someone abilities are as long as they enjoy it the game. If I'm ever that way or your down here im happy to have a knock

sunshine

Visit site
got learn somehowm how are you ever getting a handicap if you cant put cards in

Agree you've got to learn somehow. Typically pitch and putt, graduate to a 9 holer, maybe play a few casual rounds on a full course.

Just feel that starting golf by entering a medal and playing a full length course under competition conditions is perhaps jumping in at the deep end. It would be the same for every other sport. Don't think a novice skier would start on a black run, etc etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree you've got to learn somehow. Typically pitch and putt, graduate to a 9 holer, maybe play a few casual rounds on a full course.

Just feel that starting golf by entering a medal and playing a full length course under competition conditions is perhaps jumping in at the deep end. It would be the same for every other sport. Don't think a novice skier would start on a black run, etc etc.
Inclined to agree. Not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to or anything but it wouldn't be my choice! I started on short 9-holers with my parents, in fact I didn't play 18 holes for the first couple of years I don't think. Found it really hard going at first. When I got back into it 4 or 5 years ago we played casual golf for a year or so before joining a club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

thats a little far fetched comparison wise, its a gentle walk around a field not life threatening

I'd never played golf or even touched a club, went out a loved it, joint a club got a handicap almost straight away and went from 24 to 12 in 3 months at most just by playing. now off 5 and been on the cusp if 3

if i'd buggered about on a pitch and putts and driving ranges i imagine i would have just given up had i not been allowed to play on a course

sunshine

Visit site
thats a little far fetched comparison wise, its a gentle walk around a field not life threatening

I'd never played golf or even touched a club, went out a loved it, joint a club got a handicap almost straight away and went from 24 to 12 in 3 months at most just by playing. now off 5 and been on the cusp if 3

if i'd buggered about on a pitch and putts and driving ranges i imagine i would have just given up had i not been allowed to play on a course

You are amazingly talented if you had a handicap of 12 only 3 months after picking up a golf club for the first time. That is awesome.

There are many people who play for a lifetime and never get near 12. I doff my cap to you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You are amazingly talented if you had a handicap of 12 only 3 months after picking up a golf club for the first time. That is awesome.

There are many people who play for a lifetime and never get near 12. I doff my cap to you.

I read his post to say he was cut from 24 to 12 in a 3 month period, not 3 months after he started. We don't even know what his first h/cap was.
I could be wrong though and if your right it is awesome

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This is the usual way people get into golf around here. My club has the perfect set up for getting newbies into golf. A massive flood lit driving range that everyone from local pros to one hit wonders use.
Those curious to try golf head to our 9 hole par 3 course. No dress code, no worries. Doesnt break the bank.
After a certain amount of time they move across the road to the main course. Usually they are shy and their luck when its quiet.
Eventually becoming regular golfers and playing in comps.

I've seen this in action many times. Brought plenty of my friends into the game this way. Some bailed out at the 9 hole stage. Others dont stick at it at after they try the big course. Others have become full time golfers.

I really dont think it's a great idea to plonk a complete newbie out in the middle of a medal comp.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I read his post to say he was cut from 24 to 12 in a 3 month period, not 3 months after he started. We don't even know what his first h/cap was.
I could be wrong though and if your right it is awesome
not sure where you get that from, my first handicap was 24, what i couldn't remember was the scores i shot to get 24, which was a couple of months after my first game, but i think i would have played half a dozen games before i got that as i could only play at weekends, but it was 3 months from getting my first handicap to get to 12.... sounds better than it is though i was stuck on 12 for a couple of years:ROFLMAO:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree its a conundrum for some in the OPs position if his only free day happens to be a competition day. I also respect that the has the same right to enter as anyone else, although agree common sense might be to get to a certain standard before worrying about submitting cards.

However, what about those drawn to play in his group - how many of you would be patient enough to play in a medal round, or maybe a board comp, where a PP has literally just started the game. If my only free day was a competition day, and the club drew for tee times, as my old club did, I don't think I could either enjoy my round or compete under those circumstances.

Diamond

Visit site
I went on the range back in June with a good friend. The next day I bought a half set of clubs and realised very quickly I didnt have a clue what I was doing.
Had 6 lessons between July and September whilst never setting foot on a course. Then between September and January I played 13 different courses.
Last week I became a full member at a nearby course.
I need 3 cards to get my handicap. I aim to do that for the end of the month and I will enter the club medal.
It's a club medal I am supposed to enter support the competition, use the bar and get to know other members. It's not an Open Competition at Trump International. If it was and I paid my fees that should be fine as well.

sunshine

Visit site
not sure where you get that from, my first handicap was 24, what i couldn't remember was the scores i shot to get 24, which was a couple of months after my first game, but i think i would have played half a dozen games before i got that as i could only play at weekends, but it was 3 months from getting my first handicap to get to 12.... sounds better than it is though i was stuck on 12 for a couple of years:ROFLMAO:
That's very impressive. Did you have lessons?

sunshine

Visit site
I started off playing pitch and putt with my mates at Northwick Park. It's gone now, replaced with a much better 9 hole facility (wish that was there earlier). Then we graduated to nine holes at Horsenden Hill then Perivale. Then my first full size 18 I shot 105 at Haste Hill. Then we started playing all the public courses in the area like Ruislip and Brent Valley, before we figured out that most of the private courses had a public day when you could get on for a cheap price.

Looking back, it just feels like a logical progression. Got more equipment as I got better and increased my commitment, only needed a couple of clubs for pitch and putt, then a half set from Argos , then full set.

I never had any lessons, I really wish I had as it would have been great to learn and groove the fundamentals from the start, instead of picking up bad habits and having to correct them later.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons I loved being part of my old club Baildon is that nobody I encountered gave a toss about pace of play and your ability. When I started I just rang the pro shop and asked if they could put me in with a 2 ball that would be happy for me to tag along - I had the pick of the tee times as all the players were extremely welcoming. I played with scratch players, mid and high handicappers and were all of the same attitude to playing the game. Its competitive but also played in the right way - bits of banter, advice and most of all just to enjoy it. Oh and also a share of a pork pie and coffee on the 9th.

For me golfers get too caught up in what they expect the rest of the course to do, a 5 hour round is too long but if your expecting an under 3 hour round on a Sat comp morning then I suggest you change your tee time.