Slope ratings

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not sure if it has been mentioned already but course rating is assessed 95% on its length and 5% on its obstacles (trees, penalty areas, recoverability from rough, green target etc).
So Bryson was right then! ??

Being serious, several more ratings have now been uploaded in my area, but still not the course I play at ?

evemccc

Visit site
I don’t disbelieve this 90/10 ratio, but I find it very surprising and rather simplistic if it’s the case. Anyone who has played a number of golf courses could tell you that hole length is a v poor barometer of difficulty, so such a weighting is bizarre..

Some courses have green complexes where the hole’s difficulty really starts - and getting to the green is purely the prologue. Either because it’s well bunkered, guarded by hazards, raised or has subtle / severe undulations, and because greens could be very small - demanding serious accuracy of the approach shot. Likewise with narrow, tight fairways with land movement and elevation changes (as opposed to long and wide runway-like holes..)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Length has significantly more effect than you think.
A fairly average par 4 of 400 yards is reachable by a scratch player who nominally carries a drive 230 and a second shot 200. So is on the green in two.
A bogey player only carries 180 and 150 so takes three.
It's a similar story for any par 3 over 200 and a 500 yard par 5
Most players, regardless of ability, don't encounter the all penalizing obstacles on every hole.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Length has significantly more effect than you think.
A fairly average par 4 of 400 yards is reachable by a scratch player who nominally carries a drive 230 and a second shot 200. So is on the green in two.
A bogey player only carries 180 and 150 so takes three.
It's a similar story for any par 3 over 200 and a 500 yard par 5
Most players, regardless of ability, don't encounter the all penalizing obstacles on every hole.
20200701_152811.jpg

I clearly never understood slope as I just assumed we would get a high rating due to the toughness and the length of the course

But as you said slope isn't indication of toughness

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you get this information from ? Do you have a link to the document please ?
It was from a Wales Golf webinar for committees that I was on yesterday. I haven't got the slide but they may be available from their website. Having looked at the local courses available so far on the USGA slope ratings, the longer courses certainly have higher ratings.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It was from a Wales Golf webinar for committees that I was on yesterday. I haven't got the slide but they may be available from their website. Having looked at the local courses available so far on the USGA slope ratings, the longer courses certainly have higher ratings.
you can see that as a bogey golfer will struggle with the longer second shots to greens more so than the scratch golfer. Hazards on the way to the green and encountered around the green having a second order effect.