Slope ratings

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just been having a look at some these slope ratings for my home course and the ones in the surrounding area.

Some interesting ratings. As in one's higher than i was thinking they would be and ones lower than I was thinking they would be.

Anyways just wondering do you guys think your course rating is fair or is it to high/low?

My home course is 124.

https://ncrdb.usga.org/

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine is 126 black, 124 white apparently this is average ? And Ellesborough is 138 white 135 , as well ... but I remember that handicaps from both of these travel well... now this makes sense I thought my new course was easier, but handicap doesn’t reflect this

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours is 124 too, which I thought seemed low comparing it to other courses I’ve played and how tough I personally find it in general. However, we don’t have any water and no real need to be able to carry the ball more than say 150 off the tee. It’s just very narrow, tree lined, bunkers everywhere and tricky greens.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have has slope on our cards for a few years as we get a few American vistors, white is 134 and the black 138

i think we are due to be re rated since the course changes, its easier now for the elite big hitting players, but at least 3 shots harder for everyone else

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

126 off the Whites and 119 off the Yellows at our place.

AD28A2FB-D3F8-4A9F-BFDE-14232E32488D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3432

136 Blue, 133 White and 131 Yellow whatever that means :ROFLMAO:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
128, whatever that means ?‍♂️
That is exactly it what does it really mean? And actually what parts of the course reflect the difficulty? Massive scratch comp at ours and none broke par... wind was 12-15mph and the greens were ironed and up to speed. Second cut was like the US open .. but it always is and the sand in the bunkers was there or compacted ..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
125 off Whites, 125 off Yellows. Right on the UK average. Same SR for Whites and Yellows seems OK as the course is only a little easier off the yellows and where it is harder the SIs (for matchplay purposes) reflect that. Same SR for Whites and Yellows means that shots added to your HI come at the same rate no matter off which tee.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slope and course rating are not the same. Course rating is more or less the SSS, and a measure of the score a scratch player should get. There is another score sometimes posted called the bogey rating, and that is the score a 20 handicap should score.

Slope is a measure of the relationship between these. A course which is easy for a low man but very difficult for a 20-hcp (say a course which is very long but has wide fairways, or has carries too far out for the typical 20 to make), might have a higher slope than one which is difficult for the scratch but not proportionally more difficult for the 20, say one with doglegs at 240 where the long hitter cannot take advantage of their length.

Bearwood Lakes, where I play has a course rating for the white tees of 72, a bogey rating of 98.3 and a slope of 142. This means it is a tricky enough course for the scratch man, but possibly proportionately more difficult for the 20 chap.

Harleyford (Henley) has a course rating for the white tees of 72.7, so higher than BL, but a bogey rating of 96.6, so lower than BL, so therefore its slope will also be lower, in this case 129. It is difficult for the low man, but not disproportionately more difficult for the 20.

evemccc

Visit site
Very slightly off-topic (but I think related to some posts above), why is there such a colour difference in the Back Tees/Tips/Competition Tees etc?

How did this some about as pretty much Yellow and Red are standardised across America and GB&I, but I’ve seen courses where Black, Blue, White and Orange are the furthest back?

With WHS and changes to Men’s and Women’s in the naming of Yellow and Red, is there going to be a standardisation of tee colours?

And come to think of it, flag colours too. I’ve played courses where Yellow is the Front 9 and Red the Back, and courses where White denotes pin at the back of the green, Yellow in the centre and Red at the front. Why has there to date been no standardisation of this? Are there moves to do this?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And come to think of it, flag colours too. I’ve played courses where Yellow is the Front 9 and Red the Back, and courses where White denotes pin at the back of the green, Yellow in the centre and Red at the front. Why has there to date been no standardisation of this? Are there moves to do this?
That of course has nothing to do with WHS

D

Deleted member 1147

129 off the blues, 127 off the whites and 122 off yellows - seems reasonable I think

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very slightly off-topic (but I think related to some posts above), why is there such a colour difference in the Back Tees/Tips/Competition Tees etc?

How did this some about as pretty much Yellow and Red are standardised across America and GB&I, but I’ve seen courses where Black, Blue, White and Orange are the furthest back?

With WHS and changes to Men’s and Women’s in the naming of Yellow and Red, is there going to be a standardisation of tee colours?
Unlikely in the near future. Think of the costs of new cards and course furniture.

Siolag

Visit site
Have you read the post above.

Slope tells you nothing when comparing two courses. That is what Course Rating (old SSS) does.
Slope is new concept for the UK.

I have read it, yes. I was simply answering the question in the OP as to what the slope is. I’m unsure where to find the course rating, can’t access it using the link there.