Slope ratings

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
122 slope off our whites. Knew my track would come out easier than literally every other I’ve seen ?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
What course is it and what are the course ratings? They are really the measure of difficulty for the better player, akin to SSS.

Slope is a measure of how proportionately more difficult it is for the bogey player.

Wychwood Park in Cheshire. What do you mean course ratings? Standard scratch off whites is 74 and from the back tees is 76. It's a very difficult course, beats the hell out of you if you're not playing well.

Edit - Course rating is 73.8 whites and 75.9 blues.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wychwood Park in Cheshire. What do you mean course ratings? Standard scratch off whites is 74 and from the back tees is 76. It's a very difficult course, beats the hell out of you if you're not playing well.
Does the scratch player not playing well get beaten up relatively more (or less) than the bogey player not playing well? Because it is the answer to that question that the Slope Rating for that course will reflect. It's a very difficult course - see Course Rating.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Edit - Course rating is 73.8 whites and 75.9 blues.
A high course rating indeed, and a high slope. So it plays difficult for the scratch player and brutal for the bogey golfer.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
A high course rating indeed, and a high slope. So it plays difficult for the scratch player and brutal for the bogey golfer.

I'd say that was pretty much the case yes. You do soon get used to the challenge and as with any course you learn how to play it, what clubs to hit off tees, where to miss it etc but it's a stern test of golf both physically and mentally. It can be a bit too much for some and you need to have a bit of length to make some of the carries but if you have a good knock round Wychwood you get a great sense of achievement.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Haven't you read the rest of the thread? Slope is not a measure of difficulty when comparing two courses.
What is the Course Rating ?

65.8 off yellow 87.8 bogey
67 off white. 89.8 bogey

Easiest ive seen on here!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very confused by the slope ratings for my course

117 yellow and 121 white

Yet easier courses in the area have been rated 135? And I mean proper easier courses.

Edit found out more with a calculator for the handicap etc

I think they are really making golf more complex with this

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think it's the kind of thing where you should get told your handicap index and rest is left up to computer when filling in the scores

Too much information to just go and enjoy the round

And I say this as a person who loves too much info!!!

Swango1980

Visit site
As it has been said before, slope is not an indication of relative difficulty.
Louise, you are correct in the context of the question you are answering (i.e. Slope is not an indication of relative difficulty between courses)

However, to clarify, Slope is an indication of relative difficulty between better and not so good golfers, just in case there was any confusion in interpreting "relative difficulty" in your post.

I always leave it that Slope is not an indication of absolute difficulty of a course, and can not be used to compare them in that respect. But, it is an indication as to the difficulty for the higher handicap player compared to the lower handicap player, and so in that aspect courses can be compared as to what that relative difficulty is between those types of players (bit of a mouthful, but preparing to use this statement a lot when WHS goes live and members at our club start to come to terms with it)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think it's the kind of thing where you should get told your handicap index and rest is left up to computer when filling in the scores

Too much information to just go and enjoy the round

And I say this as a person who loves too much info!!!

Yep, I'm getting the Index off the app, looking the table and off I go. I don't care how they work it out or if your slope index is higher than mine or vice-versa.

Eventually, everyone will forget about the way it used to be done!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

My course rating is back, previously it was par 70 SSS 71. New rating is par 70, 71.5 and slope 139 off whites.

Not really sure what all that means now, I'll continue to shoot the lowest scores that I can and see what happens to my handicap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, I'm getting the Index off the app, looking the table and off I go. I don't care how they work it out or if your slope index is higher than mine or vice-versa.

Eventually, everyone will forget about the way it used to be done!

Doesn't help the emails the club sent out over complicated it and also came out with the line we don't have our rating or course rating yet

Well if you go on the site it's there in black and white you just haven't looked lol

Be interested to see what my handicap index comes back as

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it has been mentioned already but course rating is assessed 95% on its length and 5% on its obstacles (trees, penalty areas, recoverability from rough, green target etc).