Average slope rating.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have any stats on how slope ratings are distributed on UK club courses for male club golfers?
I know the official standard rating is 113 but the vast majority appear to be well over. I would guess the typical course is somewhere in the low 120's but really don't know. Just interested.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The "average" is really not worthy of consideration. Doesn't tell us anything much.

How many courses have had their "old ladies tees" rated for men?
This would clearly have a huge impact on "average".

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Does anyone have any stats on how slope ratings are distributed on UK club courses for male club golfers?
I know the official standard rating is 113 but the vast majority appear to be well over. I would guess the typical course is somewhere in the low 120's but really don't know. Just interested.
Slope rating of 113 is not an 'average' or 'standard'! It's the rating at which both a scratch and a 'bogey' player, is (statistically) expected (on average)to play to their (stable) Handicap Index.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slope rating of 113 is not an 'average' or 'standard'! It's the rating at which both a scratch and a 'bogey' player, is (statistically) expected (on average)to play to their (stable) Handicap Index.
I know it's not average, I guess it depends what you mean by standard though.
I used standard because that is how it is described by the USGA.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know it's not average, I guess it depends what you mean by standard though.
I used standard because that is how it is described by the USGA.
I believe the description is 'standard relative difficulty', not simply 'standard'. That's as I described Slope of 113 earlier - where both a Scratch and Bogey HI player would 'play to their HI'.
It would not surprise me if the 125 average slope rating Rulefan gave a link to is pretty much spot on - for Mens White Tees.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe the description is 'standard relative difficulty', not simply 'standard'. That's as I described Slope of 113 earlier - where both a Scratch and Bogey HI player would 'play to their HI'.
It would not surprise me if the 125 average slope rating Rulefan gave a link to is pretty much spot on - for Male Whites.
Yup I wasn't really disagreeing with you , just explaining why I used the term standard.
Though standard difficulty was the term I read.
Relative difficulty makes sense though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Does this average figure have any significance, though? I don't believe it does.

Each course has been assigned a CR and SR so that all courses have the same degree of difficulty for all players. Maybe in theory only, but that is what these ratings are there for, isn't it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site