Single Seat golf buggies

Malcolm Pook

Visit site
Looking at purchasing a single seat golf buggy, particularly the Bugg-ease Lithium 4000 Pro. Anyone got one or any other recommendations please? Thanks

Mandofred

Visit site
We have several people at our place that have this or something very similar. They go like heck. A number of people have the 3 wheel type, which are ok.....but the kind like these 4 wheel ones are a real step up.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can imagine the jealous brigade at my club would have a field day if one of our members got one of these! They make snide remarks at people who have a remote controlled trolley :ROFLMAO: Each to their own.

I think I'll wait hopefully at least 20 years before I would consider one, as walking around the golf course is usually the only good exercise I can get!

Have texted the Mrs to see if she will get me one for my birthday next month - can only imagine what the answer will be :p

Malcolm Pook

Visit site
I can imagine the jealous brigade at my club would have a field day if one of our members got one of these! They make snide remarks at people who have a remote controlled trolley :ROFLMAO: Each to their own.

I think I'll wait hopefully at least 20 years before I would consider one, as walking around the golf course is usually the only good exercise I can get!

Have texted the Mrs to see if she will get me one for my birthday next month - can only imagine what the answer will be :p

Likewise I would much rather be walking the golf course! Unfortunately I am suffering with bone on bone osteoarthritis in my knee and ankle.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

I'd fancy one of these ..
https://onewheel.com/products/xr?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OHimMuY7wIVL4BQBh3w6QkbEAAYASABEgIEQ_D_BwE

Sorry OP, we should return to your thread.
Afraid I have no knowledge or experience of them. In many ways can see advantage over 2 seater options. Would you have to transport it, or would the club let you leave it there?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'd also be partial to the golfboard too, if it wasn't for the price. Here's a number of the latest options for 2020, some interesting ideas too. I could be tempted by a number of options that look fun to use.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I
I'd also be partial to the golfboard too, if it wasn't for the price. Here's a number of the latest options for 2020, some interesting ideas too. I could be tempted by a number of options that look fun to use.

The two wheeled options would spend most of their time on their side due to the kickstand sinking into the softer fairways over here ?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A regular roll-up member at my little club had one of these 4 wheel buggies following the onset of hip trouble. It was almost identical to the Bugg-ease motorbike handlebar style model. I’m looking at this from a perspective of him buying it before lithium batteries were affordable so my observations are based on that.

He certainly got good use out of it, playing at least 3 times a week (thu, sat, sun) and it extended his ability to play for about 6 years before he finally relented to the fact he could no longer swing a club. His body failed him, the buggy mostly didn’t. So it was a hugely positive benefit to him and to us for his continued company on the course.

Some downsides. Irrespective of batteries, without storage at the club it took a lot of manhandling to get it in and out of his car. Without batteries the chassis is still very heavy. It was clearly worth the effort to him but it caused him and those of us helping a lot of bother. He eventually improved his transport with the purchase of an ex private-hire taxi that had a wheelchair ramp fitted. In his situation I’d think more carefully about the wider transport and storage issues than the buggy itself.

The cold. He got very very cold on it during the winter. An overlooked fact by many is that without walking between shots buggies can make you very cold. More so on these little exposed ones with no shelter from the wind. We’d often rip into him because in order to stay warm he had to wear so many layers he couldn’t swing a club but he gave as good as he got, such banter would brighten any dreary winter day.

Finally, I’d expect it to have improved in modern models, but as it aged the gearbox whine got increasingly loud and irritating which began to bother people around him. Wear and tear is to be expected but I was surprised how much irritation this caused amongst the wider group. More a criticism of them than the buggy but it may be a surprising etiquette issue to be aware of.

I miss the guys company on the course. I hope I’ll never have to but I would get one if it meant extending the time with my pals on the course for a few more years too.

Malcolm Pook

Visit site
I'd fancy one of these ..
https://onewheel.com/products/xr?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OHimMuY7wIVL4BQBh3w6QkbEAAYASABEgIEQ_D_BwE

Sorry OP, we should return to your thread.
Afraid I have no knowledge or experience of them. In many ways can see advantage over 2 seater options. Would you have to transport it, or would the club let you leave it there?

The buggy I'm looking at is quite lightweight and folds down, so that with aid of a couple of ramps is easily transportable in the back of the car. Impressed with the service of Bugg-ease so far, had an immediate reply to my email and they have offered to come and demonstrate, even though their showroom is over 200 miles away from my home address.

AAC

Visit site
A chap at my club has one of these, he can't walk 18 holes anymore so at least he is able to play still. not sure if its the identical model but he has had it for about 18 months, it seems reliable & doesn't chew the course up too much. He is able to safely park it at the club so can't comment on its practicality viz a vee getting it in a car on your own.

Malcolm Pook

Visit site
A regular roll-up member at my little club had one of these 4 wheel buggies following the onset of hip trouble. It was almost identical to the Bugg-ease motorbike handlebar style model. I’m looking at this from a perspective of him buying it before lithium batteries were affordable so my observations are based on that.

He certainly got good use out of it, playing at least 3 times a week (thu, sat, sun) and it extended his ability to play for about 6 years before he finally relented to the fact he could no longer swing a club. His body failed him, the buggy mostly didn’t. So it was a hugely positive benefit to him and to us for his continued company on the course.

Some downsides. Irrespective of batteries, without storage at the club it took a lot of manhandling to get it in and out of his car. Without batteries the chassis is still very heavy. It was clearly worth the effort to him but it caused him and those of us helping a lot of bother. He eventually improved his transport with the purchase of an ex private-hire taxi that had a wheelchair ramp fitted. In his situation I’d think more carefully about the wider transport and storage issues than the buggy itself.

The cold. He got very very cold on it during the winter. An overlooked fact by many is that without walking between shots buggies can make you very cold. More so on these little exposed ones with no shelter from the wind. We’d often rip into him because in order to stay warm he had to wear so many layers he couldn’t swing a club but he gave as good as he got, such banter would brighten any dreary winter day.

Finally, I’d expect it to have improved in modern models, but as it aged the gearbox whine got increasingly loud and irritating which began to bother people around him. Wear and tear is to be expected but I was surprised how much irritation this caused amongst the wider group. More a criticism of them than the buggy but it may be a surprising etiquette issue to be aware of.

I miss the guys company on the course. I hope I’ll never have to but I would get one if it meant extending the time with my pals on the course for a few more years too.

Many thanks for your reply.

I am very conscious of the weight issue as I want to continue to enjoy other courses as well as my home club, so it is important to be able to get the thing in and out of the car without too much difficulty or having to resort to using a trailer. These new buggies are much lighter than previous models, the videos appear to demonstrate that it is a relatively easy manoeuvre to transport in the back of the car.

You're so right about the cold. My home club is a links course and I have been hiring a club buggy, since the onset of my injury problems a couple of years ago. Not creating any body heat from being able to walk, is one of the most frustrating things.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Dad had a 3 wheeled one. Lead acid batteries, and jeez, it was a heavy beast. Even dismantled, it was hard work.

Re getting cold, he used to say, well, you wouldn't go out and sit in a deck chair for 4 hours in this weather.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One of the fellas (lives on the course) turned up on his new toy one day, no idea of a review but he seemed very pleased with his purchase

Raptor Fairway Rider
raptor12.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been a single seat buggy user for nearly 30 years and having watched the various problems others have had with their buggies I do not think you can beat either Grass Hopper or Paterson Products.

Always go for a 4 wheeler, the 3 wheelers tip over very easily (although no experience of the type above). Knowing some of the things that have happened in those years having the clubs in front of my face I would find very scary.

One is for sure avoid the ones that are made in China there have been several owners of these where I play and none have lasted well and often have problems in teh first year of ownership

Last edited: