Should Tiger Retire?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tiger is back. He just won a major...... do we need to get rid of him already?

Why retire? Can't we just see where this goes now we have established that clearly he CAN play (albeit occasionally)

you can see the Tiger effect just by whos popping up we havent seen for a while :) hope youre well Sir

D

Deleted member 15344

He managed to do alright round Carnoustie last year when his driving was in a worse place than it is now. At Augusta he knew he could get away with pulling driver and being aggressive because the penalties aren't as severe, at a tighter golf course he'll pull 2 iron or 3-wood and find fairways and then rely on his supreme iron play to continue hitting greens.

So you think he knew he could shove it 30/40 yards right or left but be ok ? He got lucky on a number of drives - another metre or so he was stuffed

And in regards Carnoustie- he dropped a number of shots because of driving , final round he got a couple of birdies and took the lead and then what - a drive into the rough resulted in a double , and he had another one plus a couple of bogeys to have him three back in the end - the dropped shots results of poor drives

Like I said stats show he drove the ball well and most of the time he did but the ones he went wild with he got fortunate with and the same fortune won’t be there for other courses

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The double at Carnoustie came because he hit a poor iron shot into a very difficult spot and chose to take on a high tariff shot to get himself out of trouble and it back-fired. The double came because of that mistake, not his driving.

I don't agree. He's no wilder than several other top players, I don't see his driving is being a big issue and I don't think it will prevent him from winning at other courses. He's never been a particularly accurate driver of the ball and still managed to win at some of the most difficult courses in the world - including the location of this years US Open.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He managed to do alright round Carnoustie last year when his driving was in a worse place than it is now. At Augusta he knew he could get away with pulling driver and being aggressive because the penalties aren't as severe, at a tighter golf course he'll pull 2 iron or 3-wood and find fairways and then rely on his supreme iron play to continue hitting greens.
And as I've said elsewhere, nothing to stop him pulling an iron or 3 wood off the tee either. Tiger will do what Tiger thinks is best on each shot and stand by those decisions. I think he's getting a lot more consistent and this win can only add to his confidence. I think all of the top players, especially McIlroy it seems, are capable of hitting bad drives so it seems daft to focus on the ones Woods hit, when others went into some equally far flung places and didn't manage to still make scores

bagcarrier

Visit site
Tiger won't retire anytime soon as he's after Jacks record. He deserves to be applauded as the work he has put in to get back to the top table is nothing short of miraculous.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why give up when you are swinging the best you probably ever had and now have the results to show for it? It is possible that with good body management, he could be competing for the next 7 or so years. His swing is less explosive and more rotation, meaning less stress, from what I can see.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He's good for the sport, the PGA players would not earn what the do were it not for Tiger.

We should be happy for him.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you think he knew he could shove it 30/40 yards right or left but be ok ? He got lucky on a number of drives - another metre or so he was stuffed

And in regards Carnoustie- he dropped a number of shots because of driving , final round he got a couple of birdies and took the lead and then what - a drive into the rough resulted in a double , and he had another one plus a couple of bogeys to have him three back in the end - the dropped shots results of poor drives

Like I said stats show he drove the ball well and most of the time he did but the ones he went wild with he got fortunate with and the same fortune won’t be there for other courses

Perhaps he has been practising with Donald Trump and planning a career move :unsure:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stats are lovely but take for example the drive he had on 11 - did you see how far wide that was , he was very lucky to have a line out , if he drove like that in the Open or US Open is more than likely either a lost ball , unplayable or a double bogey , the area around those courses that far wide will be thick thick rough , and he did that on a number of occasions where the errant tee shot seemed to always give him a line out and didn’t result in a dropped shot. Any other course that’s a bogey at least every time and that’s a lot of shots dropped regardless of fairways hit etc -

Still trying to pick holes in Tigers game after another demolition of your man Rory.
Just so sad it’s pathetic

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
He’s 43, and tantalisingly close to smashing just about every record in golfing history - why on earth would you stop now?

He’s potentially got at least another 7-10 years - Lefty is 50 and still playing as well as he ever has. Granted lefty doesn’t have back issues but with all the money Tiger has he has access to just about anything he medically requires.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Tiger won't retire anytime soon as he's after Jacks record. He deserves to be applauded as the work he has put in to get back to the top table is nothing short of miraculous.

What he said.... no way Tiger is packing it in while it says - JN 18 TW 15 now he's won again.... And, crikey, he went in the trees plenty of times and still had shots to green...so? Lowest score wins, no pics on the card. My cash was on Moli' and clearly the pressure got to him.

SO, 18 Majors now feels within touching distance to him......... I expect to see him playing just enough to prepare for the Majors... going to be an interesting season. If you thought media hype around Tiger was too much, just wait till Bethpage!