Should Tiger Retire?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well as we all know he’s only gone and went and won the Masters again! After several failed surgeries and from a point where he can’t lift his kids or swing a club, he gets a fusion job on his back and 23 months later he’s Masters Champion. Just a stunning turn of events

But while his back is ‘fixed’ it’s not been fixed with Vibranium and the odds are that his back or something else will eventually give out, leaving him less able than he is now

Whether he has 100 tour standard golf swings left in him or 100,000 who knows

So he should soak up the success for a week but then what?
  1. Retire right now, able to bow out at the top, knowing his back is in good shape as things stand
  2. Retire at the end of this season, in an attempt to get the PGA tour wins record
  3. Keep playing for several years and chasing the Majors record
  4. Something else?

In his place I think it should be 1 or 2 and while I'm leaning towards 1 I would probably retire at the end of the season just to give myself the chance for one more tour win to tie the record. After all he's just spent 2 years getting back and I don't think he did that 'just' for an extra Masters title

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep going why he’s fit and able, also as long as he’s enjoying playing.
What else is he going to do, golf is his job.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
2 1/2..?
He doesn't need the money, he's chasing wins.
But bodies break as his has done on several occasions
And this wear and tear will take its toll.
Play this season and then a limited number of events in the run up to Majors for another 5 years and call it a day there - unless something breaks in the meantime.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger is rich as hell.. so can afford to pay for the top surgeons

Play until his body gives up

Go for the record pga tour wins.. (1 off) then go Europeon your and go for the record there (9 off)

Then go for jacks record (3 off) when he holds all 3 go on the seniors and start trying to break their records

Then just sit back and smile

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No, I think he should concentrate on breaking sneads PGA tour wins record and also Jack's major record. He's just won the masters why would he retire ? Retire and do what, I'm sure golf keeps him driven and occupied. He looks much happier when he plays golf than when he cant

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Keep going why he’s fit and able, also as long as he’s enjoying playing.
What else is he going to do, golf is his job.

Well I believe he’s also a restaurant owner so he does have options to keep himself busy and earn some coin ;)

I'd just hate for there to be one swing too many that could happen at anytime and physically takes him back to where he was 2 years ago

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's always been about Jack Nicklaus and the record, he'll try for that and any tour event that is to long or hilly for his back will be shunned in an effort to prolong the chase for 18 big ones.Hats off,I'd written him off a few years ago and now he's back.. amazing

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I believe he’s also a restaurant owner so he does have options to keep himself busy and earn some coin ;)

I'd just hate for there to be one swing too many that could happen at anytime and physically takes him back to where he was 2 years ago
Would you just hate for him to break Jack's record ? I can most certainly say unless his body cant be fixed he wont retire

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
[QUOTE="Parsaregood, post: 1985307, member: 22867"]Would you just hate for him to break Jack's record ? I can most certainly say unless his body cant be fixed he wont retire[/QUOTE]

Definitely not, I was welling up watching that last night, it was superb. I'd love him to get 5 more for a nice round number
(but not if in an attempt to get them he's destined to snap something the next time he tee's it up on a Thursday, If his body can't be fixed its already too late to live the rest of your life pain free and that for me is too high a price)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Obviously he could kick back with his 100’s of millions, I personally think he needs golf to keep him on a sort of straight and narrow, it gives him purpose and drive.
It’s obvious after last night he loves competing.

Agree about the injury situation but only Tiger and probably his surgeon knows how long he has left.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Obviously he could kick back with his 100’s of millions, I personally think he needs golf to keep him on a sort of straight and narrow, it gives him purpose and drive.
It’s obvious after last night he loves competing.

Agree about the injury situation but only Tiger and probably his surgeon knows how long he has left.

Yeah I guess so, it comes down to playing the odds I suppose V's the persons drive to succeed and how that person weighs one against the other (& probably why I don't gamble and will never be a world beater at anything :eek:)

If his surgeon has said to him “look Tigsey, that’s a well decent job wot I done, you’re good to go for 20years” then he’ll crack on indefinitely. But I somehow doubt that assurance has been given and as much as I selfishly want more nights like last night, I'd understand if he didn't bet against the house

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
He will have consultants checking him over on a weekly basis. I imagine he will plot his appearances in events based on this and how the course plays to his strengths.

I’d hate to see him retire, but I think now from that high it would be silly to just chuck in the towel.

His confidence is sky high, he has shut up all those that question him, including golf hosts who said he’s a has been and will never win another

Now I just want to see him smash every other record he has his eye on, as for me he is the greatest golfer to ever grace the course. People will have their opinions on that statement but you can’t deny what he has done for the game in terms of attracting people that may have never played otherwise.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think he will play nowhere as near as many events as last season, could see him playing maybe 10/15 events a season. With the majors being closer together now. He may well simply go major to major now. Although i suspect he'd love to get to no1 above all this youngsters one last time.

D

Deleted member 21258

As he is someone who has been extreme day to day pain and no great relief from it, that he will be really careful not to allow that to happen again, he does have a lot of years ahead of him outside playing top golf.

But no I don't think he will retire, but will focus solely on majors with some playing before them, to break Sneads records first.

U

User62651

Crack on I say.

You're a long time dead so make the most of it and play hard the next 3 or 4 years then maybe cut back if he cant keep up. At 43 he's at a crossover age for diminishing physicality and has worn his body out more than most so time is of the essence.

He may get a bit of an Indian Summer to his career now as he's healthy. Next 2 majors will be interesting. He should play a decent schedule to stay sharp but make sure he gets adequate rest before majors especially and limit his overseas travelling and also his practice.

I didn't think he'd get back to where he is, thought he was finished as a force in golf in 2017. Resilient and determined, that's for sure.

Good seeing him back at the top with a far more user-friendly demeanor. World No.6 now I believe.

D

Deleted member 15344

He will know within himself how he is feeling

I remember watching back to the Tour Championship and seeing that he looked physically shattered and I thought that there is no way he could play four tough rounds at the major , during the Matchplay he looked fresh in the game against Rory but then tired in the next

But this week walking up 18 he looked like he was easily ready for another 18 , so I expect he is going to tailor his schedule to keep him fresh for the big ones. The US Open and The Open are going to be a totally different ball game , he wouldn’t get away with his driving like he did at Augusta but the US PGA - not much different so could see him challenge

I’m looking forward to both the Opens to see all those top guys go right at it. The next three majors have the potential to really light up the game - exciting for golf fans