Seniors/Veterans Section annual fees

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im doing a bit of research on this to pass to my club, its a very emotive subject as some of our seniors pay as little as a 3rd of the ordinary fee but with a growing senior membership and a declining ordinary membership a club like mine which is currently in healthy financial state could easily lose money over a few years if fees arent addressed.

Can I ask what the qualifying criteria and discount is at your clubs?

Is there more than one catagory, ie do they get larger discount for longer service, 25 years, 30 years etc etc?

Have your club had this and addressed it in the past?

Any info you could offer would be of great use, feel free to pm me if you would prefer.

Cheers :thup:

D

Deleted member 17920

We don't have a different subscription for seniors anymore.

We did but we are in the process of phasing it out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my old clubs has a category for members over 60 with 25yrs of consecutive membership, around a third to 50% off. Big problem as they are now finding too many members fit this criteria and it will only get worse. Bad idea for the finances of any club.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No senior discount rate, a lot are 5-day members which is restricted due to the same reasons you state, an ageing membership, so you need to get the balance of 5 & 7 day members right.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't have any discounted fees for seniors, but have a 50% reduction for 18 - 29 year olds. So if you're living off the state pension and have been a member for years you have to pay twice that of a high flying young executive! Annoying!"

D

Deleted member 17920

We don't have any discounted fees for seniors, but have a 50% reduction for 18 - 29 year olds. So if you're living off the state pension and have been a member for years you have to pay twice that of a high flying young executive! Annoying!"
That's for another thread but our seniors play 4-5 times a week and our intermediate section I would guess that most play around 10 times a year due to work and kids.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

You more than likely have twice that persons disposable income though!

D

Deleted member 15344

Reductions from the age of 70 providing you have 25 year continuous membership. Used for get free golf from the age of 75 but that was removed this year and now it's a nominal amount

D

Deleted member 18588

22% discount on all categories of playing membership from State Retirement Age subject to at least 30 years continuous membership.

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have none for the reasons set out in the opening question!

However, if any members feel that they will only play occasionally then they are welcome to take out an intemediate/flexible membership for less outlay.

I can see merit in the application of a controlled age/service element (Phil has outlined an excellent one - as ever!) but even this should have clear riders about relative %of the category to the discount to avoid the risk (very easy to do).

So it's in this area that I would suggest that clubs who forsee a potential problem act early. It's really simple to do, and it's merit is so obvious that there's little scope for dissenting to the principle. Link the discounts inversely to the percentages of the category - by the time 100% of the membership is getting a discount it's at 0%.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head i think these are roughly ours figures.
After 25 years continuous full adult membership and age over 65 years discounts are .
Age 65 to 69 get 30% discount,
Age 70 to 74 get 50% discount,
over 75 get 75% discount.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
30% discount at ours for 65 and over.

We also have some life members who pay nothing. Don't know all the details, believe they paid a lump sum at one point to convert to life membership.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all your input fellas and do keep them coming please.

To offer my own opinion on this. I believe the discount should be scrapped altogether but I do believe it won't happen. Having thought long and hard about it I feel the model below would be a decent compromise.

Veteran category starts at 70 years old
Minimum criteria for entry is 30 years
Maximum discount is 50 %

Discount structure as follows

30 - 40 years service - 30% discount
40 - 50 years service - 40% discount
51 years or more - 50% discount

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
30% discount at ours for 65 and over.

We also have some life members who pay nothing. Don't know all the details, believe they paid a lump sum at one point to convert to life membership.

We had that too Gerry but it's just been discontiuned, those who have it now keep it but we'll have no more. The criteria was 20 years as an ordinary member, you mad a one off payment i believe equal to 10 years of ordinary member subs at the time.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Juniors aside, we have 5, 6, or full (7 day) membership categories only. The 6 day and 5 day subscriptions are pro-rata from 7 day. 6 day members get to play the course on non-competition day at the weekend.

Life members can be proposed at the AGM and they pay no fee. Life members (who I know) have given extraordinary service to the club and held many council positions over a vast number of years. Often, due to age or injury they can't really play 18 holes but still want to be around the golf club as they love it so much. I have no problem with this whatsoever.

21 year olds pay 50% of the normal fee, and this rises in small increments until at 31 y/o full subscription is required.

Hope this helps mate.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't have a different subscription for seniors anymore.

We did but we are in the process of phasing it out.

Same at my club, in the long run senior discounts don't work. We now have bronze silver and gold membership and anyone can whatever category they wish. Junior and intermediate discounts still apply.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had that too Gerry but it's just been discontiuned, those who have it now keep it but we'll have no more. The criteria was 20 years as an ordinary member, you mad a one off payment i believe equal to 10 years of ordinary member subs at the time.

Yeah I don't think it's open to new folk now but there are quite a few who did it still there.