South West London Membership

robe88

Visit site
I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me, I'm moving to South West London (Wandsworth Common) next month and hoping to join a golf club on a 7 day membership. Ideally I want to join a reasonably nice course and no more than 1.5k a year for membership fees. My main criteria is a course that is well maintained and an interesting layout but in an ideal world would like a course that isn't too tight off the tees. I have a car so don't mind if I need to drive 30/40 mins to get there.

As a bit of background, I'm 34 and play off 17 and reasonably long off the tee without being super long. I don't know any golfers in the area so would be good to join somewhere that is pretty open and sociable, also somewhere that doesn't need proposals from current members to join.

Does anyone know of any courses that are currently taking members and would fit the bill? I've been doing a bit of research but finding it tough to figure out what to look for as I don't know the area. I know most clubs membership years are Jan to Dec so don't mind just paying green fees for the rest of this year but would be good to start trying to get something lined up for next year.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm hoping someone here would be able to help me, I'm moving to South West London (Wandsworth Common) next month and hoping to join a golf club on a 7 day membership. Ideally I want to join a reasonably nice course and no more than 1.5k a year for membership fees. My main criteria is a course that is well maintained and an interesting layout but in an ideal world would like a course that isn't too tight off the tees. I have a car so don't mind if I need to drive 30/40 mins to get there.

As a bit of background, I'm 34 and play off 17 and reasonably long off the tee without being super long. I don't know any golfers in the area so would be good to join somewhere that is pretty open and sociable, also somewhere that doesn't need proposals from current members to join.

Does anyone know of any courses that are currently taking members and would fit the bill? I've been doing a bit of research but finding it tough to figure out what to look for as I don't know the area. I know most clubs membership years are Jan to Dec so don't mind just paying green fees for the rest of this year but would be good to start trying to get something lined up for next year.
Can't help on the course front - but do note that many clubs have their Membership Year aligned with their financial year, and many clubs align that to UK Tax year 5th April to 4th April. Joining such a club you won't suffer that much 'loss' if you are charged for a full year rather than on a pro rata basis.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
at 1500 for a 7 day membership you are going to be pushed unless a club is doing discounted categories between 25-40. Within you travelling zone but below will give you a rough idea on full memberships in Croydon area. These were 2021/2022 rates so may have gone up

Addington palace £1795+joining fee
* currently a long waiting list.

Shirley park £1695
* didn’t have a waiting list in March but did have limited spaces

Croham hurst £1675
* now full

Farleigh court £1700
* now full

Purley downs £1895+ j/fee
* now full

Woodcote park £1850+ j/fee
* long waiting list

robe88

Visit site
at 1500 for a 7 day membership you are going to be pushed unless a club is doing discounted categories between 25-40. Within you travelling zone but below will give you a rough idea on full memberships in Croydon area. These were 2021/2022 rates so may have gone up

Addington palace £1795+joining fee
* currently a long waiting list.

Shirley park £1695
* didn’t have a waiting list in March but did have limited spaces

Croham hurst £1675
* now full

Farleigh court £1700
* now full

Purley downs £1895+ j/fee
* now full

Woodcote park £1850+ j/fee
* long waiting list

Good to know thanks, happy to increase it to 1.8k if required to get somewhere good. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into those and see if any are accepting members.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks' suggestion are all due south of your location. (Nothing wrong with that; it's just a comment. They'll also be borderline as regards your travel time).
Your price range is quite tight for the area.

Your nearest courses are
West: Wimbledon Common/London Scottish (Nice enough, but they are on common land which can get very busy with walkers/non-golfers). About £1000
South: Mitcham. (Also on common land but not quite so busy as above) £1195
East: Dulwich & Sydenham Hill £1905 + JF

Heading out to the south west you have
Wimbledon Park is closing down and Royal Wimbledon will be outside your price range and/or criteria.
Coombe Wood £1600 (£1200 up to age 35) (Coombe Hill will be outside your price/criteria)
Maldon £1800 + JF
Surbiton £1900 +JF

Going more westwards, I think you'll struggle as regards your travel times

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Backwoodsman is totally correct, my post was there solely incase you look further afield as they are just within the criteria. Some of the courses are offering a staggered increase in prices up to 39 but due to waiting list and increasing overheads, I am aware of a few courses who take 90% full 7 day members to 10% reduced rates. There are of course some who offer no discounted age brackets at all :(

The play more golf membership could be ideal as it would give you a home club and a relatively low cost option until you find the right course, the demand in London is shocking at present.

Good luck.

carldudley

Visit site
I am a member at London Scottish (one on the Common), you get used to the walkers and dogs. We have an incredibly friendly club and several groups of Swindles and Young-er groups that go out. It's almost impossible to play on your own unless you really want to.

Fee is circa. £850 for under-35s and you can sign up on the day no meetings etc.

Shoot a message and happy to host you one Saturday or Sunday morning for a round

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Leatherhead or Hampton Court would probably fit your criterea, I can't comment of the social side but should both be doable in 30mins depending on traffic.
The Oaks, Banstead Downs and Epsom possibly too.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Mitcham is fairly close to you and also in your price range.

It is literally a stones throw from Mitcham Junction train station which is around 10mins from Balham.

As is mentioned above, it’s common land but it’s quiet and there’s only ever one or two dog walkers around the course at any time. The greens are always in great condition but the fairways are what you’d expect from a common land course.

They have a number of swindles on weekends and some during the week too, which are good craic.

And you can get a pint for under £5 (cheap for London anyway).

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Come down to Croydon.. we promise you won’t go back (because we will Nick your wheels)

Welcome to the forum madhouse