Screw club manufacturers!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Throughout the forum I have seen one person regualry complain about the lofts on his clubs - he complain he can't hit his 4 iron because it's a loft of an old 3 iron ( yet he said he had no probs hitting an old 3 iron ) - so taking that as a snapshot and from experience of the people I play with - it's not an issue for the majority.

Do you sit at home with a big spreadsheet on your pc, everyones posts planned out on it?

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just done a little extra research on club lofts for the Benross Hotspeed 2 (these were the clubs I was considering before I actually went to the store, I can't see the ones that were in the store on the web site).

American Golf website: no mention of lofts
Golf Monthly web review (inc. video clip): no mention of lofts
Today's Golfer web review: 7i loft given
Benross web site: Couldn't find any mention of the irons set, but then they have been discontinued. Hot speed 2 hybrid page did include a table with some loft figures

What won't hep in my case is that I don't know what the lofts are on my Prosimmons clubs (which were bought as a starter set including trolley bag, for £150).

So yes, I could have researched the loft (and I guess I will now that I know it's a factor to consider) but I'm not sure it would have helped me much. Besides, I had no idea what clubs they had in stock at the AG store anyway.

Took 1 Google search, less than a minute, first page of results to find the lofts.

One must do better...

http://ukgolfgear.com/Benross-HOT-Speed-Irons-2-Steel

D

Deleted member 15344

I did, at least in my head, and then spotted the extra length and stronger loft.
So there you go - you found out through experience and now you can adjust what club you take for what distance you want to hit.

You haven't been conned

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
"So Mr Punter, would you like to try out our latest clubs? They are guaranteed to hit the ball further than your existing clubs, so let's try the 7-iron against your existing 7-iron." Punter tries out the new 7-iron and indeed hits it further, because it's really a 6-iron with a number 7 stamped on the bottom

So where's the con.?
They're not telling fibs....

And you're not being sold clubs you don't need - you're buying them....

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
So there you go - you found out through experience and now you can adjust what club you take for what distance you want to hit.

You haven't been conned

Because I happened to be suspicious and so I checked. Someone else might not get suspicious and spend the £250 on the new clubs thinking they're better, when in fact they're 'just' stronger. It might not matter to them, I'm sure they'd get used to the new distances with the stronger clubs, but still my reaction was that I didn't feel I was able to make a fair comparison and so the time I'd spent wasn't as valuable as it might have been.

Had I spotted, or been told about, (or known by advance researching something I didn't know was a factor!) the stronger loft before I took them to the range bay then I'd probably have felt differently.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So where's the con.?
They're not telling fibs....

They are probably not exactly telling the truth either! They almost certainly won't tell you are hitting the latest 7-iron 10 yards further because it has the length and loft of a 6-iron! Generally speaking, demo clubs are always 7 irons these days. When I tried out my Speedblades I was also very reluctantly given a PW to try from a brand new full set, and I had to have face protection tape put on that! :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Because I happened to be suspicious and so I checked. Someone else might not get suspicious and spend the £250 on the new clubs thinking they're better, when in fact they're 'just' stronger. It might not matter to them, I'm sure they'd get used to the new distances with the stronger clubs, but still my reaction was that I didn't feel I was able to make a fair comparison and so the time I'd spent wasn't as valuable as it might have been.

Had I spotted, or been told about, (or known by advance researching something I didn't know was a factor!) the stronger loft before I took them to the range bay then I'd probably have felt differently.

The clubs may well be better as well as stronger lofts - the sweet spot could be bigger , the dispersion better , forgiveness better , the feel , the touch etc etc etc - they won't be "just stronger lofts"

D

Deleted member 15344

They are probably not exactly telling the truth either! They almost certainly won't tell you are hitting the latest 7-iron 10 yards further because it has the length and loft of a 6-iron! Generally speaking, demo clubs are always 7 irons these days. When I tried out my Speedblades I was also very reluctantly given a PW to try from a brand new full set, and I had to have face protection tape put on that! :(

Seen plenty of demo 6 iron clubs - did you know about the lofts on the Speedblades before you bought them ? With all your experience did you not check the lofts before hand as well

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm pretty sure that the Benross clubs will not only stronger than, but they'll also be better than the Prosimmons.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've nearly always used a 6 iron for fittings & demo's.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've nearly always used a 6 iron for fittings & demo's.

They used to be 6 irons, but now seem to be 7 irons because they do the same thing. A couple or so years ago there were loads of single 6 irons for sale on eBay, presumably because retailers were selling them off. A 6 iron with 5-iron length and loft might be a bit too difficult for some punters to hit straight! :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1147

They used to be 6 irons, but now seem to be 7 irons because they do the same thing. A couple or so years ago there were loads of single 6 irons for sale on eBay, presumably because retailers were selling them off. A 6 iron with 5-iron length and loft might be a bit too difficult for some punters to hit straight! :rolleyes:

They should probably give up then:smirk: