Screw club manufacturers!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
didn't TM on release of the Rocketballz say that these clubs went further than other OEM and a guarantee that you would hit their 7 iron further... I'm sure i remember that at the time??

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
who said he got fitted... he went to try some clubs like a lot do and just hit one iron which was a 7, he would have compared his with this and that why he got them. he didn't find out the lofts were cranked until some one in our roll up told him some time later.

the result of this he felt misled, his opinion and i see where he and the Op are coming from. we are entitled to our opinion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Doesn't make them right though..... ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You're still conveniently forgetting the main reason for strengthened lofts...
As Bluewolf and others have said, this strengthening is mainly on beginners, SGI and GI irons. It does happen on players irons too but to a smaller extent.
Designers have played with the club head to make it easier to get the ball in the air. To make it EASIER to get the ball IN THE AIR..
This is often something that people who use these types of irons need.
The by-product is increased distance which, as well as ease of use, is easy to sell.
Distance is not the reason lofts are lowered - its in response yto the club head tech.
Sure, we could go back 30 years but what would be the point. The tech is here, it ain't going away any time soon ...
They've incorporated some of the GI tech into players irons to make them easier to launch.
Easier to launch = higher flight = lower lofts to compensate = .ore distance..
You see, its a by-product.
Get used to it.
If you don't like it then go to someone like Orka and get truly custom fit for lofts...
Although today's 4 iron is like a 3 or even a 2 is only true in loft
Its easier to get the ball in the air with a modern 4 than it was with an old 3 or 2..
The fact that you can't points to a flaw in your technique rather than a flaw in the club design.

Many sets these days can be purchased as 5-GW rather than 4-PW....
Maybe you should check these out........

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
who said he got fitted... he went to try some clubs like a lot do and just hit one iron which was a 7, he would have compared his with this and that why he got them. he didn't find out the lofts were cranked until some one in our roll up told him some time later.

the result of this he felt misled, his opinion and i see where he and the Op are coming from. we are entitled to our opinion.

Semantics aside he bought a set of clubs based on the fact the 7 iron went further. He then sold that set and went back to his old clubs. Did he
a) sell the new clubs because he thought he was misled
b) sell the club's because the 4I was longer than his current 4I and the gap from his PW to his other wedges was too big?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm finding some of this hard to believe . . .

The OP has been a forum member since 2012, made 144 posts and has never heard of Delc?

Seriously though, I thought everyone knew the numbers on the bottom were just to distinguish one club in your bag from another. The one with a 7 will generally go a little further than the one with an 8. Where has it ever been written that the lofts have to be the same. Far from the manufacturers conning us, they actually spend millions to tell us how different their new clubs are to the old ones / competitors ones etc.

It's been said before but how could it possibly matter if the lofts are stronger or weaker from set to set? As long as the gaps for each set are consistent?

me likey

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
As Bluewolf and others have said, this strengthening is mainly on beginners, SGI and GI irons. It does happen on players irons too but to a smaller extent.
Designers have played with the club head to make it easier to get the ball in the air. To make it EASIER to get the ball IN THE AIR..

:thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
didn't TM on release of the Rocketballz say that these clubs went further than other OEM and a guarantee that you would hit their 7 iron further... I'm sure i remember that at the time??
"So Mr Punter, would you like to try out our latest clubs? They are guaranteed to hit the ball further than your existing clubs, so let's try the 7-iron against your existing 7-iron." Punter tries out the new 7-iron and indeed hits it further, because it's really a 6-iron with a number 7 stamped on the bottom. He is so impressed that he buys the whole set. When he gets to actually playing with them, he finds that all his yardages have gone to pot, his short game is rubbish and he can't hit the longest iron he bought. He goes back to the retailer to buy a gap wedge to get his short game back. Thus he has been sold two unnecessary clubs. Get the picture?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Semantics aside he bought a set of clubs based on the fact the 7 iron went further. He then sold that set and went back to his old clubs. Did he
a) sell the new clubs because he thought he was misled
b) sell the club's because the 4I was longer than his current 4I and the gap from his PW to his other wedges was too big?

i think he just chucked them in the shed, when he has settled on some new irons he is going to trade the TM in.. the MP60 are, well lets just say they have seen better days, he play's 5 or 6 times a week and has done since getting them which i think would have been 2008. as i said before he got them as he thought he had gained some distance compared to his old clubs. he hadn't. lets face it most would love some extra distance.. i know i would.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
"So Mr Punter, would you like to try out our latest clubs? They are guaranteed to hit the ball further than your existing clubs, so let's try the 7-iron against your existing 7-iron." Punter tries out the new 7-iron and indeed hits it further, because it's really a 6-iron with a number 7 stamped on the bottom. He is so impressed that he buys the whole set. When he gets to actually playing with them, he finds that all his yardages have gone to pot, his short game is rubbish and he can't hit the longest iron he bought. He goes back to the retailer to buy a gap wedge to get his short game back. Thus he has been sold two unnecessary clubs. Get the picture?
I'm beginning to, yes............ :whistle:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

you obviously have not read any of what i have posted on this tread, this is what ive been saying, apart from going back to get the extra wedge, the guy i know just went back to his old clubs:rofl::rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

Punter says to golf pro - so what's the loft on this 7 iron as it seems to go a bit further than mine

Golf pro - well these new clubs have lofts a bit stronger to help the higher HC get the ball in the air quicker

Punter - does that cause any issues

Pro - well the sets now sell as 5-GW so you would need to get a SW

Punter - excellent I'll take them and enjoy my new found confidence on the golf course

Ps - what are these "unnecessary" golf clubs you mention Delc

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Deli, surely if the 7 iron went further then his yardages were bound to have changed .... how could it not be the case.

Btw. Still love the fact that you can't hit a GI TM 4 iron but can hit a really old tittie 3 iron, that you had before. So only 1 degree of loft has meant you simply can't hit that club at all!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A 7 iron is a 7 iron because of the weight of the head. That's it. It has nothing to do with loft. That could be anything. It's not specified, and it doesn't need to be, that is left up to the manufacturer.

So he spends years stubbornly playing with these clubs and blames them for his poor short game when you should chip with wedges that don't even come with the set.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Yep. Cushty isn't it

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The by-product is increased distance which, as well as ease of use, is easy to sell.
Distance is not the reason lofts are lowered - its in response yto the club head tech.
Sure, we could go back 30 years but what would be the point. The tech is here, it ain't going away any time soon ...
They've incorporated some of the GI tech into players irons to make them easier to launch.
Easier to launch = higher flight = lower lofts to compensate = .ore distance..
You see, its a by-product.
Get used to it.
If you don't like it then go to someone like Orka and get truly custom fit for lofts...
Although today's 4 iron is like a 3 or even a 2 is only true in loft
Its easier to get the ball in the air with a modern 4 than it was with an old 3 or 2..
The fact that you can't points to a flaw in your technique rather than a flaw in the club design.

Many sets these days can be purchased as 5-GW rather than 4-PW....
Maybe you should check these out........

This doesn't add up for me. If these clubs are supposed to help people who have trouble launching their irons high enough with their current, weaker lofts, then why build a high launching club then bring the lofts down to offset the advantage you just built in?

This line that they HAD to bring the lofts down is exactly the one the manufacturers want you to believe. If there was a danger we'd all be ballooning our 7iron shots due to the high launching characteristics, then why don't the 8irons, with the loft of an old 7iron, balloon up and go nowhere?

Rick Shiels recently did an interesting test where he compared his more traditionally lofted blade style irons with the new super cranked m2 irons, and loft for loft (4iron vs 6iron if I recall correctly) they launched the same, had the same peak height and went the same distance. Of course he has good swing speed and strike, but, shouldn't he be launching that M2 appreciably higher than the same lofted blade club? If they did what the manufacturers say they do.

D

Deleted member 1147

So, a company manufactures something, that something is also made by other manufacturers. In order to sell more units than those other manufacturers, they make that something more attractive to potential customers.

Be it longer, faster, bigger who cares it's all about sales. It's not whether it's better for the customer, it's about making the customer think it's better for themselves!

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I've just done a little extra research on club lofts for the Benross Hotspeed 2 (these were the clubs I was considering before I actually went to the store, I can't see the ones that were in the store on the web site).

American Golf website: no mention of lofts
Golf Monthly web review (inc. video clip): no mention of lofts
Today's Golfer web review: 7i loft given
Benross web site: Couldn't find any mention of the irons set, but then they have been discontinued. Hot speed 2 hybrid page did include a table with some loft figures

What won't hep in my case is that I don't know what the lofts are on my Prosimmons clubs (which were bought as a starter set including trolley bag, for £150).

So yes, I could have researched the loft (and I guess I will now that I know it's a factor to consider) but I'm not sure it would have helped me much. Besides, I had no idea what clubs they had in stock at the AG store anyway.