Screw club manufacturers!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only reason the manufacturers put loft numbers on wedges, is because the wedge game, especially when you get up to 52 to 60+ degree is not about distance. So they don't have to try the de-lofting trick and it wouldn't work if they did.
Its interesting that a lot of posters on this thread have quite rightly made the point that the OP should be less concerned with distance anyway, and should concentrate more on dispersion. Maybe, instead of telling the customer, we should be telling the manufacturers who are so obsessed with claims of extra distance, they are prepared to try this kind of practice to convince the gullible public.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I still think that there should be an industry standard on lofts and lengths for the various numbered irons. You get degrees on woods, hybrids and wedges, so why not the irons? Then you would know exactly what you are buying and fair comparisons would be possible again!

BTW my elderly set of Titleist irons do have the lofts stamped on their heads as well as the numbers.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still think that there should be an industry standard on lofts and lengths for the various numbered irons. You get degrees on woods, hybrids and wedges, so why not the irons? Then you would know exactly what you are buying and fair comparisons would be possible again!

BTW my elderly set of Titleist irons do have the lofts stamped on their heads as well as the numbers.

Hear hear ,

now that we have lofts sorted , where does the industry stand on shaft flex ? :mmm:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm still baffled. He bought a new set of clubs because he was hitting the 7 iron further. But was then surprised that the new 4 iron went as far as his old 3 iron which had already been replaced by a hybrid and was stunned to see that his PW went further creating the need for a gap wedge. Your mate doesn't do logic well by the sounds of it :confused:

TBH i'm not sure what you are baffled by?

he got clubs he thought he hit further, when in fact he didn't in the scheme of things.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
TBH i'm not sure what you are baffled by?

he got clubs he thought he hit further, when in fact he didn't in the scheme of things.

Because logic would suggest if you hit all the club's longer than your current set. And your current set is 4-PW. If you buy 4-PW in the new set you are automatically going to reduce the distance gap to your hybrid and increase the distance gap to your wedges.

So he should have bought 5-PW and a gap wedge or stick with his old set up. Not buy a new set up that goes longer, on the basis that each club is longer and then complain that his 4 iron goes too far and the PW is too long. That makes absolutely no sense!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because logic would suggest if you hit all the club's longer than your current set. And your current set is 4-PW. If you buy 4-PW in the new set you are automatically going to reduce the distance gap to your hybrid and increase the distance gap to your wedges.

So he should have bought 5-PW and a gap wedge or stick with his old set up. Not buy a new set up that goes longer, on the basis that each club is longer and then complain that his 4 iron goes too far and the PW is too long. That makes absolutely no sense!!!

only if he knew that the 6 iron had the same as his current 5 iron, which leads back to the OP feeling slightly misled.

Tiger

Money List Winner
only if he knew that the 6 iron had the same as his current 5 iron, which leads back to the OP feeling slightly misled.

The same loft is irrelevant though. He hit the 7 iron further than his current 7 iron. Same loft, stronger loft is totally irrelevant. Logic dictates that if my 7 iron goes further my other clubs will go further. The issue you said he had wasn't being 'mislead'. It was that his new 4 iron and PW went too far. Surely he could of figured that out when he was fitted

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A three series BMW is a three series. It comes with various engine sizes, but remains a three series. You buy one, but the performance can vary. It's still a three series.

A seven iron is a weight. Not a loft, not a distance, not a length of shaft. There is no guarantee of performance. It is what it is, within limits, but the performance can vary. You buy the one you want. The one that fits the bill.

The only limitations are the ones you put on it.

Tiger

Money List Winner
A three series BMW is a three series. It comes with various engine sizes, but remains a three series. You buy one, but the performance can vary. It's still a three series.

A seven iron is a weight. Not a loft, not a distance, not a length of shaft. There is no guarantee of performance. It is what it is, within limits, but the performance can vary. You buy the one you want. The one that fits the bill.

:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Im hoping that saying it again will help sink it in for a few people :thup:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where did this 7iron is a weight thing come from? I have never heard this before. Ever. And I read the forum a lot and know that manufacturers try to con us with stronger lofts. So if I've never heard this I'd say it's a safe bet that most others haven't too.

Not doubting it's validity, just never heard it before, is it accurate?

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm still unsure when it was decided that manufacturers are trying to "con" people

It must be the worst con in the world cause most people have the ability to use the Internet to check out the specifics of each model , ask their pro , check out magazines , read reviews , can see the difference - the manufacturers aren't trying to his anything from people so how are they conning people

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Where did this 7iron is a weight thing come from? I have never heard this before. Ever. And I read the forum a lot and know that manufacturers try to con us with stronger lofts. So if I've never heard this I'd say it's a safe bet that most others haven't too.

Not doubting it's validity, just never heard it before, is it accurate?

Nope not just you.

To be honest this thing about manufacturers ever putting loft on their clubs is never going to happen across the board. There will certainly never be an industry "standard". The information is out there and it's down to an individual whether they buy off the shelf, either before or after looking at lofts, go for a C/F and get everything spec'd out or simply by and play with whatever takes your fancy.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm still unsure when it was decided that manufacturers are trying to "con" people

It must be the worst con in the world cause most people have the ability to use the Internet to check out the specifics of each model , ask their pro , check out magazines , read reviews , can see the difference - the manufacturers aren't trying to his anything from people so how are they conning people
Phil, you are entitled to your view and I'm not trying to change it. Try to give the same courtesy back.
Food which is Low in fat! To mask a horribly high sugar count or something else. These are all examples of companies trying to con people. Yes people can research, as they can with food products, doesn't mean it's right tho does it?
It's a good debate and one which I'm firmly in the camp of I think it would be better for the entire industry if it were regulated, but as I said before I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it doesn't become do. Now back to my actual question, where does this 'weight' of the club head come from? Is this real or made up?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd rather learn a new distance for my 7 iron than try to remember how many degrees I each club is supposed to be.
As would most people who buy new clubs I'd guess? But it would be nice to be able to compare it to your current set by looking at that little number at the bottom of the club during your demo wouldn't it? After all it's there already, might as well have a good use for it 😉

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, you are entitled to your view and I'm not trying to change it. Try to give the same courtesy back.
Food which is Low in fat! To mask a horribly high sugar count or something else. These are all examples of companies trying to con people. Yes people can research, as they can with food products, doesn't mean it's right tho does it?
It's a good debate and one which I'm firmly in the camp of I think it would be better for the entire industry if it were regulated, but as I said before I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it doesn't become do. Now back to my actual question, where does this 'weight' of the club head come from? Is this real or made up?

But why would it be better regulated ?

Forcing manufacturers to be the same removes healthy competition

A lot of lofts are stronger for some irons to counter various shafts - there is so many great variables out there giving people so much choice - it's then up to people to research their choice because that's common sense for anyone forking out a good smack of money.

The companies are providing a product - it's how they manufacture their club - and all that should matter to people if how they perform with the clubs.

There is no sane reason to have all the clubs universal